Very belated NPitbullD

• Members

So, like most people, I haven't posted much since the Lithium debacle, but i've missed you {censored}ers and we adopted a new, terrifying pitbull a month and a half ago. Here she is begging for ribs image_zps76f92be1.jpg. She's a year and a half old, afraid of our cats, and quickly forming a fan club around town. We named her Lana, and frequently remind her that she's in the danger zone. Also I'm engaged, so that's a thing. And I want a ring mod. Because pedal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Bob, no need to get all, meanevilwicked&nasty, about it, she were near the kindest being I've had the pleasure of particapating in friendly with, and she had my point for a decade to boot...Her name was Sissy, a brindal that intoatively tuned some of my friendly dig, Marley, the feral that spends the winters here with me has simaler disposition, although she being a feline, and a wandering whoa,...

• Members
Pits can be great dogs - it's all about the owners and how they're brought up / trained. She's really cute - congrats! And congratulations on your engagement. philthumb

Yeah, don't play tug of war with her. It's fun, but they can't help but growl a little while pulling (as any dog would). My wife broke me of the habit of lifting mine up off the ground while the jaw was locked on the rope. They're loyal dogs and will follow the owner's lead. Be gentle and silly with her and she'll be that way with you and everyone else.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

My daughter has a pair of them. They're really cool dogs.

I used to do the "pick the dog up off the floor" trick with my Labrador Retriever. She loved playing "sock." I started training her with real socks - we tied them together, and she knew they were hers when they were - if it came untied while we were playing, she'd immediately drop it. Same if I told her to let go. The problem with real socks as opposed to the giant knotted tug ropes is that she'd tear them fairly fast, so I switched to the rope.

As far as growling, I don't care as long as it's play. My dogs know I'm the alpha and can growl and bite meaner than they can if I need to. ;) As long as they know who the boss is, and are trained with positive reinforcement and love and not brutality, any dog breed can be a winner. Pits are no exception IMO, but because of their size and strength, they're not a dog I would recommend for a novice who had little prior experience with dogs.

Archived