Has Disc Replication Lost Its Importance?

TRU

• Moderators

CDs are still viable for the moment. As long as they put CD players in cars...eventually, cars will all have a USB audio port built in to interface with thumbdrives, iPods, etc, and when that happens, the CD will go the way of the 8track

• Members

My car has a USB port. I do use it but I also use the CD player.

I don't think I'd want to carry a laptop around to gigs to sell my music.

Not sure if people would but a thumb drive loaded with music at a profitable cost but it may

have advantages. You could set it up to self destruct if someone tries to hack the songs off it.

I have one that had this occur accidentally so how. You can play the tunes that are on there,

but your cant delete, copy or reformat the drive in any way.

Unfortunately this doesn't stop someone from playing the song back and recording it

to another computer as its playing any more than it stopped people from hacking movies and videos.

I don't think the fold out would work either. Albums had pictures and artwork.. Cassettes lacked this but they had them.

CD's continued with it as well. Pictures have a thousand words that help promote the band that people identify with. If you

sold your music on a thumb drive you'd probably have to put the artwork on the drive as well. Heck you could stick a video

on there too as a bonus selection. Then what would stop a deviant from putting Trojans on there to hack your computer?

Don't know. Selling to the public has to be safe and has to make money. A CD cost 20 cents. Sell it for $10 and that's a $9.80 profit.

Even a small thumb drive will cost you a few bucks so that cuts into profit. I know online sales of music are very popular but its also

what has destroyed the music business. Its just too easy to pirate anything you download. At lest when people buy a CD it comes

out of their own pocket and they value and protect it from being stolen. If you're in a band and pay to have the recording done that is a factor

you are going to look into.

• Members

I guess what I was getting at was the age old question of "why pay extra for "replication vs. "duplication?"

If most folks simply take the CD (replicated or duplicated) and import it to a computer and then play it that way, why would it matter?

Archived