Here's a good one!! Go Yellowknife!!

StratGuy22

• Members
I can't believe city council would do. They should be ashamed of themselves. Would they advertise for free electricians?

If there were 25 cargo-short-wearing "Dad Electricians" willing to do non-critical work for free... yes, they probably would.

• Members

You do know where Yellowknife is, right?

Yellowknife /ˈjɛlnf/ (2011 population: 19,234[1]) is the capital city and largest community of the Northwest Territories (NT or NWT), Canada. It is located on the northern shore of Great Slave Lake, approximately 400 km (250 mi) south of the Arctic Circle,

There may not be 25 cargo-short-wearing Dad Bands within 500 miles of Yellowknife.

While I can't condone not paying musicians, I also tend to give communities this isolated a bit of a break when it comes to what is "normal".

But they do have one big music festival a year in mid-July at their warmest time of year: http://folkontherocks.com

• Members

Sheesh. I play our local farmer's market as a solo and they pay 125 plus put tip jars on all the tables. Last time I played there, I came home with 326 dollars. Then again, its a privately run market, not government, so they actually understand how businesses and profit works.

• Members

That's an interesting gig right there....Thanks for the idea Pat. I'll run this by Billy, see if we can get our little hick band in some of those farmer's markets. No joint is off limits for this band, and it's amazing what some of these little holes in the wall can pay if you do it right.

• Members

We have been doing a market day show where they hire two bands and put one at each end of the block. Its just a benji a man show , but its a fun gig and tends to bring people into the venue when they are on the island. They have a market day show on the island that is just for tips and I know solo guys who have played it and they make out ok. It doesn't get in the way of any night shows. As one of my buddies who plays it when times get slow says ,, its better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Archived