Raleigh/Research triangle area

• Members

My wife and I have been in our current location for over 10 years and are thinking of looking at 'what's next' - we'd like to be closer to the East coast where our families are, but not in the same town/state (We'd like for them to have to call before they visit)...

We are pretty sure the Raleigh/Research Triangle area is the direction we are looking. Anyone here from the area or have lived there? WHat are your thoughts?

• Members

I live here. I moved here in 1984 and have stayed ever since, so that shows you there's something to like about it. :)

There's a lot of good music in the area. There's a very active originals scene and a lot of good venues for it. Pay isn't great at the lower levels, but there are many venues that have almost an entirely originals lineup. Cover bands are active in the area too, although I tend to stick to the originals venues. My favourite place is The Pour House Music Hall (http://www.thepourhousemusichall.com/) in downtown Raleigh -- I'm playing there tonight in the "house band plus guests" jam, in fact -- but there's a ton of other places around from hole-in-the-wall to "major artist" level.

Until a few weeks ago, I lived in Morrisville, right in the center of the Triangle, but a couple of weeks ago moved out to near Chapel Hill. It's still pretty easy to get to any of the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Carrboro/Hillsborough venues no matter where you are. My last band was based in Raleigh itself; the new one is going to be based where I am now.

Drop me a line if you have anything specific you're interested in. I live here so I don't know what you want to know. ;)

I think LearJeff is also in this area, although (as far as I know) we've never actually met.

• Members

My wife and I have been in our current location for over 10 years and are thinking of looking at 'what's next' - we'd like to be closer to the East coast where our families are, but not in the same town/state (We'd like for them to have to call before they visit)...

I find it best to keep relatives in the "Zone". Far enough away that they have to call before they visit, but not so far away that they have to spend the night....

• Members

I find it best to keep relatives in the "Zone". Far enough away that they have to call before they visit, but not so far away that they have to spend the night....

That's the idea, though we want them to come and spend the night on occasion. Hell, they rarely ever came to Vegas, and flights are dirt cheap! What do we have to do, have kids to get you to visit? ugh... this also puts us closer to our nieces and nephews in time for them to be pre-teens/teens and we want to be a part of their lives that they'll remember!

IAMTHESKY - I'll hit you up if that's OK. bassred@gmail.com is my email

• Members

We are pretty sure the Raleigh/Research Triangle area is the direction we are looking. Anyone here from the area or have lived there? WHat are your thoughts?

My daughter and her hubby lived there. They bailed out for INDY due to the fact that the cost of living was quite high and they felt there was more long term opportunity in Indiana for them. Its been a few years and the move paid off well for them. Unless you are part of the research triangle scene you are going to be fighting an uphill battle.

• Members

Great area to move to. Highly educated population.i live in Charlotte, but my wife is from Raleigh and I'm from a small town down east from Raleigh. Lots of tech and biotech. With the abundance of colleges and universities, has a certain vibe that I think is lacking in Charlotte. I'd move there, but my better half doesn't want to live that near her parents!

• Members

I'm in the Triad area (Greensboro/Winston-Salem/High Point) which is the triangle just to the West of The Triangle. Pretty good live music scene in both regions, as well as Asheville in the mountains and Wilmington on the coast. Charlotte is a little tougher for the locals, but more and better venues for national acts.

• Members

I've wondered what would have happened had I accepted that job offer in Research Triangle back in 97. The wife didn't want to be so far away from everything she knew, so I turned it down. Salary surveys were incredible in those days: the ratio of cost of living to salaries for skilled positions was very favorable. The trick is (was) living in an outlying area to take advantage of the lower costs. No doubt this has changed over the years, possibly significantly. Research Triangle was a hotbed for dotcom investors in the late 90's.

• Members

I came here for grad school in 1983 and never left (though that was pretty much my plan to begin with). I can't imagine living anywhere else. Though the music scene is very different from most of what we read about here (and from i left up north). I noticed when i first moved here, and i think it's pretty much still true, that the whole Top 40 / cover band market is totally nonexistent here. Original music seems to be the default here (maybe partly because of venues not wanting to pay ASCAP/BMI), and cover bands are all about a particular genre: reggae bands, roots music bands, surf bands, zydeco bands, Irish bands, Klezmer bands, etc, etc. About the only people making money are playing either beach music or country.

But i'm sure if you move here you'll love it anyway smiley-happy

• Members

There's still a fair amount of Top 40 cover bands playing in places I never go: the Glenwood South area in Raleigh, for example. They're just not positioned as music venues. I only know this because I was dragged around the area in a large group for a celebration for someone who does frequent them, or I wouldn't have thought there were any bands of this type in the area at all.

Archived