Who's Back?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does anyone know why they keep updating the forum? I'm on boards running PHP that's a decade old that run fine. I hardly have seen any benefits or improvements in the last 3 upgrades? And each time they upgrade the lose my attention more... along with a few hundred other forumites. It's like they keep remodeling a restaurant but the food still sucks. I'm not trying to be inherently negative... but honestly for a community experience this is miserable. Right now you can't embed a video (instead you link it and there is no selection in size) You can't post more than two links in the same thread. The formatting of text doesn't allow you to go back and reinsert text... instead you have to remove what you previously wrote and retype everything with the new text included. There is no login at the forum level and every time I have to leave the forum I have to log back in. There is no link to account management... instead you have to backdoor through your username hyperlink.

Remember what I said about the restaurant remodel? It's like this one doesn't even have a functional kitchen yet.

• Members

Interesting: "There are currently 857 users online. 108 members and 749 guests."

So 7 out of 8 users haven't been able to log on yet? sm-frustrated

Or are just here to read. I think there are probably always more 'guests' than 'members' at these places. I don't trust those numbers though. I don't know if you noticed, but a few days ago it was saying stuff like "there are currently 10 members online and the most ever was 2000 5 minutes ago".

• Members
Does anyone know why they keep updating the forum?

It isn't so much 'why'---they updated it because the old version was falling apart at the seams---but why they couldn't they ever do it right. They were on vBullitin in the first place and everyone liked it. After the Jive debacle, and the brief return to the old, failing vB platform, you'd think they'd have figured out that upgrading the hardware and moving to a newer vB would have been the answer. Instead they let someone talk them into the silly Lithium platform which, just like Jive, wasn't suited for this sort of forum.

I think they were trying to find a "one size fits all" solution for the fact that the platforms that are best for the forum and best for the other site content are two different beasts. And, most likely, (and understandably) trying to do it as cheaply as possible.

I'm just glad that at least someone still actually cares enough to keep trying to do SOMETHING---even if its wrong. With all the problems that GC has been having financially, I wouldn't have been surprised if they had just decided to abandon this place altogether.

• Members

Eesh.. I go away for a while and everything changes.

Didn't really go anywhere.. just been extremely busy at work..

So I see my post count got ravaged again. Amazing.. in 2009-10 I think I hit 10k posts, been shrinking ever since sm-explode

• Members
Where else do ya'll hang out?
I don't know of any other forums that cater to live/gigging musicians. At least this used to be the best one. But the bar for a "better" forum is so low right now, that a couple of bands sending each other snail mail would probably be more active.

Archived