Press Kit/ Demo pack- physical, digital, email?

slideroni

• Members

We all know that to get gigs, you need a package that includes a photo of the band, a brief band biography, and some recordings of the band playing. Used to be you went into a club and handed someone a folder with the first two on paper, and a CD. Nowadays we're all on the web, and Electronic Press Kit is the thing. So how does your band do it? Give the club person a card with your Facebook page's URL (your FB page would have links to Soundcloud or something like it)? Get their email address and send them an email with attachments? Or go old school and hand them a folder with a CD? We just want to do what the cool kids are doing.

• Members

We can do a number of things based on what is asked for:

Website URL
EPK, including bio, hi-res photo, testimonials and link to video on our website or all that can be zipped and emailed/ passed on a CD
Physical press kit containing the same, plus business card, DVD with video
EPK 1-sheet (shortened version of the above materials on, duh, 1 digital 'sheet')
physical of the same with business card and DVD

Or a mix and match.
IME, it's better to be prepared for all possibilities: some clubs/clients like old school, some want a website link and nothing more.

• Members

I Can't imagine needing physcal press kits in 2014 when it's all online...I can see the phone calls, emails and followups to make sure they look at your EPK which is a simple few clicks away but going through the hassle of sending physical packages..I think needless.

• Members

As far as private event stuff goes, we haven't bothered much with hard kits. But I'm starting to change my view on that a bit. When we walk into a new venue or meet an event coordinator we haven't worked with before...sure a business card that points them to the website is probably enough, but it certainly can't hurt and might even help to put a press kit in their hands.

And even if 90% of them {censored}can it and only hold on to the card.... the cost of a presskit is what these days? Even with a DVD included? Maybe 5 bucks?

• Members

I think I have a decent handle on how to market myself for corporate events, weddings, private parties, etc .... but how do you guys market yourselves to BARS? We need the exposure (but not the "free" kind), and enjoy doing bar gigs.

I put together a new website this weekend ( http://DrBombay.ca/ ), have been playing with GigSalad / GigMasters, and will be putting together a physical press kit next week...so this thread is topical. Website feedback is useful, although I already know I need better video and photos! :)

Wes

Archived