Whaddya do with a girl with a high, squeeky voice?

Vito Corleone

• Members

...why, make her sing Cyndi Lauper of course!   We medleyed/mashed up "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" with "I Wanna Dance With Somebody".

From a wedding this weekend.   Just worked it up at soundcheck, so a couple of the transistions are a bit rough.  I've never played this song before.   Kind of a weird one actually with the carnival/caliope keyboard part.  

• Members

I couldn't get the tap tempo to sound right on this one, so I just set it up with a simple delay at the right tempo.   Very old school...lol.  

Fortunately for me I have a drummer who is a clock when it comes to knowing what speed to play songs and playing them at the same speed every night.  

Speaking of kb player details, listening to the playback I don't hear enough "click" on the popcorn-solo patch, so I'll need to tweak that one a bit.   Patches so often sit different in the mix live than they do through the headphones when you're first dialing them in, don't they?

• Members

tele-vangelist wrote:

I really like this, it's basically what it needs to sound like, especially for GJWTHF.

Thanks.   Medleys like this are interesting to work up sometimes because it's hard to figure out just what to do with them musically.

In this case, the two songs are very similar on paper.   "Wanna Dance" is basically a rip-off of "Girls" in the first place.  It's even in the same key and uses a similar keyboard patch.   The main difference musically is that it's played in a bit 'smoother' R&B style as opposed to the more staccato-y new-wave feel of "Girls".   So the question becomes how much to change up the feel when we switch to the second song.  We opted here to keep it more staccato-y, but we're sort of floating in between the two feels and it never really feels like it settles in to me.   We'll find our groove with it upon repeated performances.   But I do enjoy the process of working this stuff out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived