Practice help

• Members

I usually hang out at the Keyboard section - but I've got a friend who needs some help. She's an excellent trumpet player -- but she just had a baby and feels she can't practice anymore. I know nothing about playing trumpets -- but she says that whatever lip indentations she developed after playing for years have gone away -- and she'd hate to lose the ability she has. Are practice mutes a good substitute (I was reading the thread below)? Would they be quiet enough -- and help her keep her chops up? Is there a suitable electronic alternative -- a brass EWI -- that allows you to use your full, normal playing skills without making much sound? Any ideas would be very appreciated!

• Members

Thanks for the tips. I'll pass those ideas along -- and, yep, I know part of the problem isn't the loudness of the horn -- it's the extreme lack of time. But she's very good -- and I think it would be good for her psyche to continue to express herself with music (and I'd like to someday, when her kid is older, get her playing regularly).

Archived