Do dogs chew guitars?

Engl Kramer

• Members

So we got a rescue dog a week ago. He's a Labrador cross and he's awesome but apparently he does have a history of being a bit destructive when left for long periods. We have a friend who takes him for a walk during the day and so far nothing untoward has happened beside he keeps taking my shoe to his bed :smiley-weird: (not chewing it though). He also has a Kong and we make sure he gets plenty of walks and attention from us when we are there.

Anyway this is our first dog and we are very much learning so I thought I might be able to pick your brains about something.

Before he arrived I took all my guitars up to mine and Mrs Kramers bedroom in case Alfie decided to have a chew on a tasty neck or do something weird like wee on them.

Is this likely? It is a pain having to go upstairs to play and the room is not very stable in terms of temperature (loft convertion) and has a shower in there also so not really wanting to leave them there if possible.

They are stored in gig bags and I'm used to leaving them mostly open so I can just grab one out when I get a racy glance of a satin neck(!)

So what do you reckon?

P.S. he is getting left (apart from friend visiting) between 8:30 and 3:30 approx.

• Members

He's 18 months. Funnily enough we have a crate in the shed which we had been looking after for a family member.

Its not something we would consider though- I know Greyhounds are happy in them but I think Alfie would probably be miserable. 

Thanks for the idea though. If it does get bad and we were advised that was ok and the only answer I would rather do that than rehome him- he's already part of the family.

• Moderators

You could buy him his own?

Sorry, not helpful at all and trying to read the mind of a dog is like trying to read the mind of a.......aaaaah no, can't say that either.

Is he chewing anything esle at the moment?

This article may cast some light on your situation

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/destructive_chewing.html

• Members

I think they do. As someone already said, it's better to be safe than sorry. 

I was recently given a Swift Les Paul copy for my 22nd birthday (which was yesterday, hint hint), and one of the knobs has been chewed rather vigorously by the previous owner's dog.

• Members

I once had a dog that chewed woodwork, carpet, a christmas tree, rocks, large tree branches, hoses, socks and the occasional bird. Like an entire bird, and then swallow it. So, I would say, yes, dogs will chew guitars if they feel like it. I probably wouldn't tempt fate.

• Members

Labs are very oral.  Get way more rope chews, plastic bones, etc. than you think you need.  They also dig.  The worst our lab did was dig a hole in the carpet.  Also, labs and lab mixes are very gentle, and are great with kids, so no worries that way.

I wouldn't worry so much about the guitars as long as they're on a rack or whatever.  Labs tend to prefer softer stuff than a big piece of wood.

Also, you're probably going to have to walk it a couple of times a day.  Try riding a bike slowly on walks to get them over quicker.

• Members

Puppies like to chew, at about a year and ahalf to two years old they get past the chew everything they can get stage. Your guitars are probably safe but whenever you, guitar and dog are together at the same time make sure the boundries are understood. At two years old our current dog is down to bones and blankets  but as a puppy I had to correct her to stay away from the guitar straps more than the guitar.

• Members

Thanks very much guys for your well considered and informative posts.

Funnily enough after talking about this with my wife (she also read your insights) we pretty much thought we'd try what Danhedia suggested above and maybe introduce them slowly after Alfie has been with us a while longer. She also came up with the idea of just bringing an empty gig bag to begin with.

Chances are there is no problem- he is an awesome dawg and so far he's been very chilled. Fingers crossed.

• Members

kayd_mon wrote:

Fwiw, dogs naturally like "dens" so an appropriately sized crate is good for them. One of mine loves his crate so much, he goes in there even when we're home and the door to his crate is open.

^^^ This!  Dogs are den animals and in a natural environment spend most of their time in their den.

Dogs aren't people and don't think like people do.  You have to understand the nature of the animal.  They are pack animals and to them everything is based on how they interact with their pack (you).  Because of this leaving a single dog alone all day, especially a young one, is border line cruel and can cause severe anxiety and neurotic behavior (like chewing). 

Dogs are territorial and lifting a leg on anything is marking territory.  If you establish yourself as the alpha the dog likely won't challenge you by marking your territory.  Not sure you want to pee on your own guitar though.  Seriously though, unlikely he would want to hurt the guitar unless he was really bored and looking for something to tear up.

Archived