Studio Newb question about the chain.

• Members

I'm designing a studio set-up, so I can start saving to start a home studio. I'm missing a piece in my chain. First, I will have mics--> Mic Pre(both rack and 500 series)--- > some outboard EQ or other affects ---->?????---->>>orion 32 IO/Do--->>Daw/computer.   I'm just not sure how to get the signal out from the amps to the tascam inputs of the orion. Any help would be greatly appreciated; I need this cloud of mystery lifted.

The outputs of your mic preamps (or mic preamp + EQ and compression, or whatever) are line level signals that can feed your A/D converters directly. The problem is with the interface (converters) you want to use... I suspect the multipin connectors on the back of it are what have you scratching your head. They use those in order to allow you to connect a ton of stuff, even on a single rack space-sized product, where you normally don't have enough physical space for a ton of XLR or 1/4" TRS jacks.

What you need is the right cables. The D-Sub 25 connectors you'll find on the back of the Orion are fairly common in pro audio... and you should be able to get pre-made wire "snakes" that will connect the mic preamps to the Antelope Audio Orion 32. Do a search for "DB25 to TRS cables", or click here for a few options.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search?sB=r&Ntt=db25

• 2 weeks later...

Archived