LINE 6 VARIAX WORKBENCH (editor/librarian software)

Anderton

• Members

I purchased a Variax and Line 6 Pod live
brought it home upgraded the firmware and now everything is loaded with the current versions.

the Variax is being recorded into Sonar 3
(Sonar 5 is sitting waiting to be installed.)

the result are impressive. I have never player a 52' gold top ...so ?

so I forgot about the names of the guitars and attended to
recorded using thefactory installed sounds .

I'm happy.

it sounds good to me . I added a PSP Vintage warmer and the Mix Presser to the tracks

the sound is better than anything that I ever got at home, recording from an amp. it's dead quiet. no nothing , just pristine silence.

I openned up the work bench and openned the national biscuit used an open "E". loaded it and played. I folllowed the same steps
with the parlor guitar .
now there is a duet recorded. I created a lp special with a P-90 pu in the bridge and a lipstick tube pu in the middle . recorded that, and it was "winged eel fingerling " all day. add a nice little deluxe with some grit and that's it, that's all

thank you all for your hints tips and encouragement.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

recorded using the factory installed sounds.

I'm happy. >>

You totally get it!! Glad you're happy. I realize the Variax will never be all things to all people, but it's a piece of genius technology that crosses the line comfortably into art. Workbench is the icing on the cake.

• Members

The Variax doesn't really do synthesis-type sounds. You can get some off the wall sounds, but they are always either guitar- or bass-like.

However, the new Line 6 bass amps at NAMM have a "synth" position that creates some excellent synth bass sounds.

• Members

ah, I was wondering how they implemented, say, the sitar sound

In that I mean there may be more parameters in the SW than is currenty being passed by the UI

(or possiby the limited parameters, but not covaried and resitricted to produce 'guitar models' as such - not so muh 'synth sound', but a more open programming interface - so , basically, you are getting direct acess to the processing parameters as opposed to "guitar building" parameters negotiated by the UI - like playing a omputer game in test mode with the input validation disabled)

thoughts?

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

recorded using the factory installed sounds.

I'm happy. >>

You
totally
get it!! Glad you're happy. I realize the Variax will never be all things to all people, but it's a piece of genius technology that crosses the line comfortably into art. Workbench is the icing on the cake.

lets see, which review did I read, that this approach was suggested as a possible approach for using the unit?

• Members

and the sounds it produces are cool...

The guitar itself sucks big time as a player, particularly the neck in the 1st position. My thumb has no comfortable place to go as the headstock/neck connection area is very abrupt, squared off and uncontoured and that's where my thumb likes to hang out when playing chords in that position.

But I bought it with the eventual intention of transferring the innards to a Tele.:idea::cool::freak:

• Members

Ya I've been wondering this also, just getting a good neck with possibly a locking nut! I've fiddled to death with the 600 and still find tuning and intonation issues even after getting sperzel tuners she still slides outa tune constantly! Still no regrets though;)
About enough body room for pickups etc. there are some guys over at http://www.instituteofnoise.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=17.
Some guys have both their traditional pickups of choice and the variax guts together in one guitar, but you can't run pickup into variax or the oposite. Just a switch to toggle between the 2!
You may want to check this out. Parker with a variax implant.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v367/tattooedcarrot/NAMM06/?action=view&current=IMG_0397.jpg
Umm price is something like $10000...
Come on lottery!!!

• Members

the warmoth necks are appealing, because I have large hands and very thick fingers.
the only neck that has ever been comfy for me is a wide classical neck.

the number of options offered for their other necks is really great. the scale length, the back contours and nut widths and compund neck radius all seem to offer some thing for most hands .

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm onboard with this stuff, in fact Line 6 pretty much single-handedly jump-started my guitar playing again.

I played in many bands in the late 70's through the 80's but then settled into a steady career, then a marriage, and fatherhood. I didn't foresee the time to play much anymore so I sold off all of my electric guitars except for 1 Strat, my 1981 Antigua one. It eventually wound up in the case, under the bed, behind my kids' Lego collection. My old Crate amp went to the attic and my effects pedals went who-knows-where. For the next 12+ years I did little more than strum a few chords on my acoustics.

Part of the problem with playing blues, classic rock, metal, etc. is that playing alone gets boring after a while. I didn't have time for a band or jams but that was the only way the electrics became interesting. Fathers Day 2004 that all changed. I got a Guitar Port by Line 6. I was so intrigued, I dragged the Strat out from its nest, put some new strings on it, and proceeded to discover how awful and rusty I had become. I went through some of the lessons, and some of the backing tracks and slowly started getting some skills back.

One thing led to another and I found myself playing 2 hours every day at the Guitar Port. The kids are old enough now that they have their friends and I had some spare time. So I did what any rational man would do - I bought a second MIA Stratocaster. I kept the old one detuned a half step for SRV, EVH, Hendrix, etc. I kept the new one tuned standard to mess around with the Pink Floyd tracks on Guitar Port.

Then I started itching to play out again. Well, to make a long story short, a few guitar purchases later (I bought 5 of them last year) I told my wife I wanted the Pod XT Live for Christmas. Once I had the chairman's...er, I mean, the wife's OK, I bought the Pod XTL and brought it home. Yep, she still made me put it under the tree and wait for 12/25 along with the kids.

What's this got to do with the Variax? Well, now that I had this Pod XT Live, and it had a Variax port on it, the GAS started to burn. I received an unexpected bonus check at the beginning of the year, so I bought a Variax 300. Not being a gigging musician, and already pushing my marital luck with all the other purchases, I didn't want to shoot higher than the 300. I played some at GC that were an awful mess, but mine arrived via online purchase and plays terrific out of the box. To my surprise, I didn't need to make any adjustments at all.

So now I have the Guitar Port, I have the Pod XT Live, and I have the Variax...oh yeah, and I bought the 2 extra model packs for the Pod XTL too (shhhhh...I snuck those by her). Now I'm set. If all goes according to plan I will play "out" for the first time in several years, this coming week at an open mic night. You know what's really cool about the Variax, teamed with the Pod? My first song. I'm going to play "Comfortably Numb." I have a pretty good backing track a buddy made; I'll start out on a Martin acoustic model, kick in a 12-string version of the Martin with some chorus, and then hit the lead breaks running, using a Stratocaster model. This will all happen with 3 Pod pedal steps.

I'll also play a SRV tune, detuned a half step. With the Variax, I won't worry about retuning the guitar, as I've created a Strat model in Workbench that is already tuned down appropriately.

I read a lot of folks berating Line 6 on various sites but I give them kudos for being forward thinking. Admittedly I'm no tone freak ("close" is fine by me if the audience agrees) and I don't lay awake at night thinking about which set of pickups to put in my Gretsch. I just fiddle with the controls at my disposal, make sounds, and have fun. And I am having LOTS of fun.

:wave:

~Blackbelt

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I can't believe I am just seeing this thread now. Nice review Craig!

I'd like to add that I have 100's if not 1000's of Variax patches by now, that you can load up in Workbench on my Line 6 Users site... http://www.instituteofnoise.com

Once there on the main page, click on PATCHES on the top menu, then select search the database and filter only Variax patches, and have at it.

There's some really great stuff in there if you want to see what others have done, that you might not have thought of yet. Especially in the alt-tuning stuff or models you'd never expect kind of stuff.

• Members

I've never been a luddite when it comes to music technology but when it came to guitars I tended to stick with my Les Paul Deluxe through a botique valve amp. I had my sound and if the music didn't warrant that sound I didn't use guitar. Then I bought a Pod XTL and it really opened my eyes. I was playing in a way I didn't think was in me, the different sounds inspired me and I realised I was a better guitarist than I thought. Inspired by this, instead of buying a new mic pre, I bought a Variax 500. At first I didn't like the neck (felt like a baseball bat) and found the action too high but the sounds kept me playing and I love the feel now. My poor Gibson sits in pride of place on a stand in my studio but usually only gets picked up once a month or so, if I want a bluesy type solo or chugging rhythm. In fact, to my shame :-) I've started using the Variax firebird model which is fairly close in sound to my LP as it's already plugged in (all the time) and the POD XTL is permanently connected. I've recently purchased a GR-20 and put the pickup on my LP so this poor, beautiful guitar tends to get used for triggering the odd synth sound mostly. I think this shows the value of the Line-6 technology for real world (not just guitar anoraks) use. Thanks, Line 6. Now I'm exploring the workbench and as soon as I have some time free I'm going to try something off the wall. In combination with Guitar Rig II, for the new modulation facilities I'm using more and more guitar on all my music, both for people I produce and for film. That has to be a good thing!

• Members

I'm with Blackbelt1. The kids are almost outta high school and I can start to think about gig'n again.

I used to gig a lot. Had a Les Paul Standard with multi-switching for in-phase, single coil, outta-phase...etc, I got a lot of different kinds of sounds out of that axe.

I played the Variax 700 for about 3 hours at Daddy's Junky Music store on Saturday. Bottom line, if you haven't tried one yet...you should!

Basically I'm a fingerpick'n / acoustic kinda guitar player and I liked the very clean sound the 700 produced...it sounded slightly compressed, but not so much as to really bother me.

If you A-B compared a real Strat to the Variax/Strat you will hear a difference. Not as much punch/dynamic/bite...a little compressed. But the Variax/Strat sounds are quite good!

The Jazz sounds were velvet. The Dimarzio's I had on my Les Paul were too dirty to get that kind of smooth Jazz sound. This is one place where slightly compressed sounds good!

To me, the acoustic sounds were just OK. (...but most amplified acoustic instruments sound just OK ) For the average listener, the Variax presents a fairly convincing acoustic guitar sound. Many of the customers in the store were impressed.

Being able to dial in alternate tunings is awesome!!!

Bottom line, if you do gigs, and need to play many different styles of music, and don't want to carry around more than one guitar - check the Variax out. If LINE-6 can punch up the dynamics of the guitar so it sounds less compressed, then -ALL- the guitar models should sound a bit more authentic...and it's just a 'bit' that is needed.

Oh yeah, LINE-6: How about individual string volume/sensitivity adjustment in the Workbench for -EACH- guitar model, not just just one adjustment for -ALL- models.

• Members

Nice review Craig,

Just to add a little more, you can have nylon strings on your Variax (this has nothing to do with workbench directly, but relates to altering your tone).

Here's some examples and what to use...
http://www.vettaville.nl/vvlatestnewsnl.htm#237

(for those who see this post later, try the archive link/button for febr. 2006)

• Members

johnzed -

I *think* the necks are built on a fender standard (regardless, warmoth now manufactures Variax compatible parts)

so if you *do* find yourself longing for a different neck profile -- there may very well be options that will suit you

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have been working with the work bench everyday trying to create 3 complete patches a day that is to many .

however the workbench combined with the POD XT Live has been painless and alot of fun.

using the usb connection to record into sonar , the results are stunning ( same bad playing but the sound is great.) talent is not included in the package. I think that was supposed to be included prior to the variax/wor bench / Pod XT Live.

it's the sound! inspirational in context.
the sounds tell me how to use them and in what context. I listen and obey.

I have never had acccess to a 52 gold top or a 56 standard cherry sunburst or any of the other titles used , so if it's "real " I would not know from Tiesco.
I do know as I learn to tone down the distortion because when I have recorded it seems much hotter and edger than I am comfortable with.

I've been playing around with "ghost pickups , a second pickup mixed well under the louder dominate pick up the ghost adding subliminal sonic componentsadding that special subtle change that efffects perception.

I like it. I really like it!
it's fun and exciting !

• Members

Originally posted by MorePaul

Q: with this new toolbox, is there facility to make non-guitar models (sort of like the HRM that Roland put into the VG system)?

Hi Paul,

As of now that's not an option.

I did however hear an interview with Marcus Ryle and considering his response to that question and his background in synthesis I'd be very surprised if we didn't see something along those lines soon.

In fact, there's the Frankfurt Music trade show in march and Line 6 didn't really show too much new stuff at NAMM. It's my hope that they will show something in Frankfurt. I'm hoping for a new powerful tabletop PODxt super extra Mk II that in addition to being a superior POD it can also accept individual string input from a Variax and then process them in a number of original ways.

Please note that these are just hopes and dreams and has no factual value at all.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members

>

For what it's worth, their Lowdown bass amp displayed at NAMM had a synth voicing.

I'd also add that while maybe not spectacular, their "pop out the user interface from the pedal dock" product was really quite kewl. You can see it in detail on the Line 6 NAMM video located on this site in the NAMM report.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

I'd also add that while maybe not spectacular, their "pop out the user interface from the pedal dock" product was really quite kewl. You can see it in detail on the Line 6 NAMM video located on this site in the NAMM report.

Hi Craig,

Yup, I've seen it and read all about it and it's sorta cool but when I think of Marcus and Michael and the stuff I know they are capable of I'm expecting a lot more.

Maybe a PODxt Mk II with a built in programmable dock for the user to pop in a little something extra. Add a Variax i/f with an inbuilt synth unit. Larger display. Dual signal paths as the Vetta II. All the model packs included. More models. Better and more sensitive input so playing dynamics will be better.

Will I see you in Frankfurt?

Cheers,

Mats N

• 1 month later...
  • Members

hi there. i was just wondering how easily the variax workbench can be used live. is it possible to say switch tunings with a footpedal as youre playing? the first thing that came to my mind while reading about the adjustable tunings and things was sonic youth. they have used for years and years dozens of guitars for just one set, even during one song to achieve all sorts of weird tunings and chords. it would seem this would make that to some degree possible with the tap of a footswitch.

aside from that query, the only thing keeping me from rushing out and buying it now (or in the morning..heh) is the lack of non string instrument options. being quite a fan of the likes of robert fripp, even a basic synth setting that you could run through other filters would be incredible.

• Members

Originally posted by percyexpat

hi there. i was just wondering how easily the variax workbench can be used live. is it possible to say switch tunings with a footpedal as youre playing?

Used with a XTL or Vetta II, you can save Variax patch #s (with tunings) and change them with your footswitch.

The tuning is saved with the Variax patch... so you can change tunings by flipping the 'pickup' selector. There's a vid somewhere of a guy playing melodies and changing chords with the switch alone.

I love my Variax/Vetta setup. It's cool as crap.

• Members
Originally posted by squealie

Used with a XTL or Vetta II, you can save Variax patch #s (with tunings) and change them with your footswitch.

The tuning is saved with the Variax patch... so you can change tunings by flipping the 'pickup' selector. There's a vid somewhere of a guy playing melodies and changing chords with the switch alone.

I love my Variax/Vetta setup. It's cool as crap.

ooh thats pretty cool :) i had to watch the videos to find the info on the variax, their website is total crap. doesnt even have a list of the models so far as i can see.

more kinda On Topic question now: does workbench mean that there will be upgrade packs of more guitar models and so forth in future like has happened with the POD?

also: workbench with the variax bass?

wonder if anyone from line6 is still checking out these pages.

:D

Archived