Rogue VB-100 Violin Bass (electric bass)

Lee Knight

• Members
Originally posted by betal fan

BTW...I looked on Music 123 and couldn't find this anywhere. I have seen it before only available thru another music company. It wasn't referred to as the "Contemporary".

Go to http://www.music123.com/

On the right hand side you'll see "SHOP" with several links underneath it.

Click on

You'll see a form for "QUICK ITEM ENTRY"

Enter 360455 under "Catalog #" and click "Add to Cart"

"Hofner Violin Bass (Sunburst)" will be added to your cart with a price of $299.99

They're due in within 2-3 weeks I believe, so the product page isn't up yet, but you can preorder one.

Here's a link that will answer all of your questions about the cheaper parts:
http://www.vintagebass.com/thedudepit/showthread.php?t=12528

Basically the Chinese made such a perfect copy that Hofner forced them to "cheapen it up" a bit so as not to render their pricey German models obsolete. It's a fascinating read really.

If you removed the pickguard and changed the control panel and knobs (as many have done to their Rogues) you'd be 99% Hofner accurate, versus 75% or so if you start out with a yellow, flamey, mishapen Rogue (which I mean in the nicest way possible ;)). The Rogues are great as instruments in their own right, but they aren't very good copies of a Hofner in my opinion.

Anyway, it's just something I wanted to pass along since I hadn't heard them mentioned on here before.

Have a nice day :wave:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The "Contemporary Series" also includes the Coloramas, solid body guitars with either P90s or mini humbuckers. They've been on sale for $199.99 at Musician's Friend for a while now. Reviews seem to indicate nice build quality for the money.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1262470&highlight=colorama

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1254719&highlight=colorama

I don't expect these to rival the German made stuff in terms of build quality, but it should be solid. Aesthetics are where it's at: right shape, right woodgrain, right color. They obviously went with a whiter pearloid and small black knobs to differentiate it visually. This could be easily changed for the purists however. I think Hofner is smart. They don't want to hurt themselves on the higher end stuff, but they want to put a butt whooping on Rogue and Turser.

They might've considered making a more accurate copy under a different brand name, ala a Epi Les Paul or Squier Strat. Perhaps a "Macca - by Hofner" with a larger headstock :D I do hope these don't turn up on eBay for $1,799.99 just because they've got $50 worth of new plastic on them.

Also, it'll be interesting to see what that center block does. Most common Hofner complaints are "no sustain" and "neck heavy". This thing may well end up being a real versatile bass.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I have a Turser copy I use in a Beatles cover thing I do. I've also used it on several recordings, with surprisingly good results for a $200 instrument.

I use mine live with a Trace Elliot dual compressor pedal and that definitely helps with the sustain. Put it through a tube amp and I think it's very close, very vibe-y.

I think it's a great bass for the money I spent. The electronics are a little dodgy - one of the pots isn't quite right, there's a short in it, and the jack needs to be replaced - but in terms of the sound quality and playability, it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

It's a great little bass for not a lot of money. I love mine and I'm really glad I bought it.

I have some clips if people are interested - www.glassbeatles.com.

• Members

Here's another link in the inexpensive, huge bang-for-the-buck department of basses. I'm not familiar with the Brice HVB-600 Beatle bass available on the 2nd page, but at least it's an option to consider. I own one of the SX short scale basses in sunburst with a black pick guard - it looks and sounds beautiful. It's amazing what you get for so little $$$. Do some google searches on these basses, you'll find incredibly long discussion threads raving about them.

http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitars4.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I had a couple of Hofners Beatle Basses in the early 70's. I picked them up for around $100 ea with case. I missed them and got a Rogue around 4 years ago, and put Labella Deep Talkin flatwounds on it. From what I can remember of the Hofners, they didn't have as much punch as the Rogue, and were far more fragile. I bought a violin shape hard case from Steve's Music in NY for around $80 shipped. It fit perfect.

• Members

My bass player bought Rogue's violin bass and I too was impressed by the overall quality of the instrument. As the band's self appointed gear tech, I have performed a few mods to improve the sound and playability. I replaced the strings with some pure nickel roundwounds. I didn't consider flatwounds, maybe next time. On the bridge, I lowered both fingerwheels to the bottom and used small brass washers to set the height of the bridge. I also stuck sandpaper to the body where the bridge rests and formed the base of bridge to the body more. I did a very light dressing to the frets, they didn't need much. I simplified the electronics by setting the two front switches as on/off for their respective pickups (rendered the rear switch moot.) I also made the front knob a volume and the rear a tone (with a paper-in-oil .022 or .047 tone cap, can't remember right now.) Installed a switchcraft jack. Put some tele style knobs on it. I slotted the nut slightly. Eventually I'll replace the mini pots with full size ones. Recently I replaced the ceramic magnets in the humbuckers with alnico V magnets I bought from StewMac. These mods have solidified a bass that was juuust that close to being awesome. Now it sounds and plays great. The pickups really benefitted from the alnico magnets, warmer and fuller.

• Members

Sure, glad to. Firstly here's the link for the magnets:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Parts/5/Humbucker_Pickup_Parts.html
In retrospect, I would have ordered six magnets and gotten the discounted price. Once you do this simple mod, other opportunities seem to present themselves forthwith.

In order to remove the pickups from the covers, you have to get through the solder joints. I've found these usually are a higher temp solder and require a hotter iron. Instead of a solder gun, I used a box cutter and repeatedly scored the solder joints until I made it through. Be careful not to cut yourself. Just be patient and take a little with each pull. After I got through the joints, I carefully pried the pickups out with a flat-head screwdriver. The pickup itself is wrapped in copper foil and wax-potted. I unwrapped the foil just enough to expose the magnet. Now to align the magnet, I held the new magnet up to the old one while it was still in place. I figured the position in which they REPELLED each other would be the proper one as like poles repel. Seemed to work out fine. I pried the magnet loose very carefully and installed the alnico. Rewrapped the copper foil as tightly as possible and replaced it in the cover. At this point I should have gotten some aluminum tape or resoldered the cover joints, but I didn't. The covers come a bit loose, not a big deal but fixable. They're not falling off by any means. Reset up the bass and plugged her in. I noticed a bit more prescence in the sound right away, just something there that makes you want to play more. Perhaps a little more mid content without any loss of lows. She plays through a solid state bass amp with a compressor and a fuzz. The fuzz sound was improved, a better growl resulted. And I swear she could almost lose the compressor if she wanted to. All in all, a worthwhile and cheap mod.

• Members

Hey, I just purchased my Rogue VB-100 a few weeks ago and I've been dying to play it. The problem is the stock strings that it came with sucked, so I went out to buy Flatwounds like everyone recommended.

I started with Fender Flatwound Mediums (Too long and too big), then onto Flatwound lights (Fits, but is too long), I then tried the Rotosound Shortscale Flatwounds (about a few centimeters too short).

The sound I want to achieve is the 1960's Beatles "Thump", the kind you hear in their early recordings. What strings do you use/recommend that will fit on the first try :D I've already blew 80 bux on strings and I'm hesitant to buy another pack until i'm 100% sure.

Also, what are your settings on the knobs? I have both vol knob 1 and 2 maxed, and the treble switch away from me, the bass switch toward me, and the solo toward me.

Thank you in advance

Pancake

Okay, here's the strings I am using:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rotosound-SM77-Jazz-Bass-Strings?sku=102835

They may be a little long, but not too bad. Just cut off some of the excess cloth covered area at the end of the string and they should work fine.

On the switches, I normally have them set so that when I look down at them from a playing position, the switch on my left is pushed away from me, as is the switch on my right, and the middle switch is pulled towards me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've read with great interest the discussion on the Rogue Hoffner-like Violin Bass. I started playing bass on an inexpensive Hoffner copy WAY back, and have been looking for something similar to complement my current P-bass. So, y'all tipped the scales and I just ordered a Rogue VB-100.

BUT-- Musicians Friend lists the right-handed model with their 'Limited Quantities' tag, which they say indicates a closeout item, which will not be carried when the current supply is gone.

Can't imagine they are having trouble selling these, maybe the supplier has vanished?

Thought some of you would want to know, these may not be around for long!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by digibird

Here's another link in the inexpensive, huge bang-for-the-buck department of basses. I'm not familiar with the Brice HVB-600 Beatle bass available on the 2nd page, but at least it's an option to consider. I own one of the SX short scale basses in sunburst with a black pick guard - it looks and sounds beautiful. It's amazing what you get for so little $$$. Do some google searches on these basses, you'll find incredibly long discussion threads raving about them.

http://www.rondomusic.net/bassguitars4.html

I used to own a '72 Hofner violin bass, had to let it go for financial reasons early this year. I missed it so much that I ordered a Brice violin bass. first impression was, HEAVY! when I received the box, I thought Rondo Music was kind enough to throw in a hardshell case. but no, no hardshell, not even a gigbag. of course I didn't order one.

anyhow, compared to the original Hofner Violin bass, this thing is neck heavy, and the neck is wider, too. I'm not sure if I like the thickness of the neck, but for the price of this bass, I can't complain. the tuners are fantastic, I'd even say it's better. intonation is way better than the original. it feels very solid, as well as the pots. I don't like the cheap looking small black knobs though.

I'm wondering if anyone swapped the pickups.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi there, I am a new member to the forum, Please excuse my
Ignorance,What is a Rogue Violin Bass.
I have just purchased the Hofner Contempory Violin Bass,
I did have an original Violin Bass back in 1967 the price was 62 Gns,
with fitted hard case, but as with many other guitar's that I owned, I sold it.......Pete.

• Members
Originally posted by shezza

Hi there, I am a new member to the forum, Please excuse my

Ignorance,What is a Rogue Violin Bass.

I have just purchased the Hofner Contempory Violin Bass,

I did have an original Violin Bass back in 1967 the price was 62 Gns,

with fitted hard case, but as with many other guitar's that I owned, I sold it.......Pete.

Hi, Pete,
'Rogue' is the house-brand at Musician's Friend. The VB-100, a Hoffner-like hollow-body bass can be seen here:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-VB100-Violin-Bass?sku=508160

Check earlier posts on this thread for some good review info on the VB-100. I bought one last month, like it a lot, great fun to play.
Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Originally posted by voxyou

Last but not least, the strings were replaced with Rotosound Black Nylons.

Vox - Just took delivery on my VB-100, and I want to restring it with Rotosound Nylons. Can you post the exact length and gauges of what you put on yours? Also, did you have to modify the nut and tail piece to get them to fit? Thanks!