Rogue VB-100 Violin Bass (electric bass)

Lee Knight

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll get the Bruno clips up as soon as I can, but it might take a day or two folks. I'm working on the Recording In Small Spaces article with Bruce, building and installing software in a new DAW computer (and taking notes so I can do an article ;) ), AND mixing / trying to finish up three CD's at the moment, so I'm pretty swamped right now... but I shall not forget.

I appreciate everyone's patience. :):o

Thanks for posting the picture Mike. Wow, my studio building sure looked a LOT different when it was still in "stealth" mode. ;):D

BTW, if you have a clip of the Bruno, you can email it to me... that would probably be a bit faster than me digging up the archive, finding the PT session, solo'ing out the Bruno, etc... but if not, I'll still get that done. :)

Originally posted by Kiwiburger

You need the Rotosound Trubass black nylons for Abbey Road stuff. Even on a Jazz, they will get you 90% of the way there.

But there is something extra deep and yummy which i'm thinking is due to Studio 2 and the mic techniques used ...

As promised Kiwi, here's some specifics from Geoff Emerick himself:

And you liked using a microphone in figure-8 pattern on bass.

"I used to try to pull the bass out of the track to get its own space and hear it more defined. And one way I tried to do it was to put a tiny bit of chamber echo — well, actually I should say reverberation — on it. I started to do that on Revolver, but Paul could always detect even the slightest amount, and he wouldn't accept it. So I had to be careful.

But when we were doing Pepper, Paul would often overdub his bass after everyone had gone home. It would be just Paul and I and Richard Lush, the second engineer. We'd spend a couple or three hours doing bass parts, and I started using a C12 on figure of 8 about eight or 10 feet away from his cabinet, which I would bring into the middle of Number 2 studio. I'd bring it out into the open from the corner area where it was baffled off because I wanted a bit of the room sound."

Quote is sourced from Maureen Droney's excellent interview with Geoff Emerick; originally published in the October 2001 issue of Mix Magazine.

BTW, that's a great interview, and highly recommended for anyone interested in learning how Mr Emerick did things with the Fab Four. Good info on ADT is in there too.
:cool:

• Members

Hey Phil,

I actually have a copy of the session on my laptop!

I found the audio file and transferred it to my PC laptop, since I didn't bring my Mbox or 002 on this trip with me.

I'll cut up the parts in Audition on the plane and hopefully I'll find a connection in Boise to post them tonight or tomorrow.

[Man it's cold up here!]

:eek:

• Members

Wow, I was JUST looking at gifting myself this little baby (the Rogue)...thanks for the review!

I also own Rogue's copy of their Jerry Jones/Danelectro Electric Sitar and am VERY impressed with it's distinctive 1967 sound and how well it stays in tune!

I love any company that does quality reissuses of classic gear...now if ONLY they'd just make a Vox Teardrop copy that was actually, you know, playable....:D

• Members

Originally posted by Kiwiburger

I'm still amazed at Macca's bass tones on Abbey Road - I have a folder of short samples of classic bass reference tones, and Come Together is one of them.

I never knew he used the Hofner that late - I should get myself a good clone. I've only really played the Epiphones, and I rate them fairly highly.

You need the Rotosound Trubass black nylons for Abbey Road stuff. Even on a Jazz, they will get you 90% of the way there.

But there is something extra deep and yummy which i'm thinking is due to Studio 2 and the mic techniques used ...

These little short scale bass are incredibily phat ...

I love nylon tapewound bass strings and have them on both of my P-basses...Fender on my fretted bass and GHS on my fretless (the GHS are a little smoother feeling)....both get a nice sound, IMHO. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey I read with interest you guys talking about the Rogue. I've had one for a couple of months and I love it on my lap. But tryimg to play it on a strap sucks. It falls forward so I have to play it up high. what do you guys do?

Originally posted by sspear

Hey I read with interest you guys talking about the Rogue. I've had one for a couple of months and I love it on my lap. But tryimg to play it on a strap sucks. It falls forward so I have to play it up high. what do you guys do?

I deal with it. ;) Yes, as I think I mentioned, the Rogue VB-100 is a bit neck heavy, which means that if you're wearing it on a strap and let go of it, the neck will tend to drop downwards towards the floor a little bit. It's not perfectly balanced on a strap... but then again, neither is a Hofner. It's a simple matter of physics and leverage. That hollow body doesn't have enough weight to counterbalance the weight and leverage of the neck.

I find that using a good (and fairly wide) strap helps, as does keeping your right arm (assuming you're using a right handed model Rogue) on the body in the playing position when you remove your left hand from the instrument is enough to keep the neck from dropping away from you.

• Members

well Phil to be honest I have somewhat of a beer belly at 55 and what I meant is the top body of the bass goes over. I guess I need to loose some weight. But hey Duck has always been a little pudgy too.

Thanks

Old and fat in Memphis

• Members

Just getting around to reading this... thanks for the review Phil! The clips sound great! I am thinking maybe a belated Christmas present for a certain bass player I know that is pictured on the previous page? :)

Enjoyed seeing the pic Mike... Lyle really did dig playing that Bruno!

Originally posted by Lee Flier

Just getting around to reading this... thanks for the review Phil!

Glad you liked it Lee.
:)

The clips sound great!

If by that you mean you like the sound of the bass, yes, I agree. It's a cool sounding little bass. If by that you're referring to my recording and / or playing... well, thanks.
:o;)

I am thinking maybe a belated Christmas present for a certain bass player I know that is pictured on the previous page?

I think he might appreciate that.
:thu:
And if you decide to do that, please feel free to post your (and his) expert opinions about it here once you have a chance to play with it a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

I find that using a good (and fairly wide) strap helps, as does keeping your right arm (assuming you're using a right handed model Rogue) on the body in the playing position when you remove your left hand from the instrument is enough to keep the neck from dropping away from you.

True. Yet for me half of the Hofner vibe comes from pairing it up with a skinny brown "Vintage Style" strap with the movable shoulder pad. I just can't picture one without the other.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Phil - have read the thread with great interest - have a birthday coming up and am looking for something to expand my tonal arsenal a little.

I've had a couple of thoughts for mods that I would like to perform on mine if I get one (and I probably will). You mentioned fret removal- This is a very interesting idea. I was considering the possibility of removing the frets and filling the slot with a white resin. Something that would still be visible against the dark board, but, when sanded smooth w/ the board would leave a sharp line. Ideally a material that could be removed with an appropriate solvent if I ever wanted to re-install the frets. Anybody have any thoughts on what material would work well for this?

Also, I'm thinking about installing an acoustic pickup. The bridge doesn't look like a standard piezo element could be installed (please correct me if I'm wrong) - so I thought that the B-Band Tape mic might work well - wire it and the standard magnetic pickups to a stereo TRS jack. Is enough of the interior of the body accessible beneath the control panel that this could be accomplished without any cutting?

I think that these mod's would get me some sounds that could hint at those of an upright bass and am pretty excited about what that could do for a few original songs I'm recording.

Anybody have any input that might help?

Originally posted by 2manband

Phil - have read the thread with great interest - have a birthday coming up and am looking for something to expand my tonal arsenal a little.

Cool - happy birthday!
:thu:

I've had a couple of thoughts for mods that I would like to perform on mine if I get one (and I probably will). You mentioned fret removal- This is a very interesting idea. I was considering the possibility of removing the frets and filling the slot with a white resin. Something that would still be visible against the dark board, but, when sanded smooth w/ the board would leave a sharp line. Ideally a material that could be removed with an appropriate solvent if I ever wanted to re-install the frets. Anybody have any thoughts on what material would work well for this?

I honestly wouldn't know what to suggest.
This site
advertises conversions from fretted to fretless for a bit over $100. IMO, letting a pro do it might not be a bad idea.
IIRC, most fretless conversions use a slow drying epoxy to fill the fret slots, but that's not something you'll be able to remove later if you change your mind, and I don't know of anything that you could use that would let you do that.
:(
Honestly, I think the price of the Rogue is low enough that you could just buy two of them - one to leave fretted and one to convert. We're not talking about a $2,000 Hofner here.
;)

Also, I'm thinking about installing an acoustic pickup. The bridge doesn't look like a standard piezo element could be installed (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I guess it would depend on which piezo element you're considering using.

- so I thought that the B-Band Tape mic might work well - wire it and the standard magnetic pickups to a stereo TRS jack. Is enough of the interior of the body accessible beneath the control panel that this could be accomplished without any cutting?

Probably. Things are pretty tight in there, but if you pulled the output jack and used a little more wire (maybe some shrink-wrap), I think you could probably do it. No guarantees though.

I think that these mod's would get me some sounds that could hint at those of an upright bass and am pretty excited about what that could do for a few original songs I'm recording.

Anybody have any input that might

help?

Well, I don't know how closely you'd expect it to mimic a upright; but "hinting" at it, with the right piezo pup and a fretless conversion seems reasonable. Just don't expect that it's going to fool anyone into thinking it IS an upright - IOW, be reasonable with your expectations, and I imagine you'd have a pretty cool little tonal option on your hands post-conversion.

If you do mod one, we'll expect pictures and sound clips!
:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Phil

Thanks for the helpful input. The ~$100 fretless conversion deal you mentioned sounds like it should be perfect for me, but I'm not able to get the link to work. Could you post a URL?

I've dug a little deeper into my search for a piezo pickup and reallty like these:

http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/bassteng.html

hopefully by removing the bridge pickup and control plate I'll be able to reach into the body and install them. The instrument is a full hollow body, isn't it? (no center block?) With these pickups I can try multiple positionings using the temporary 2-sided tape, find what sounds best, and then permenantly mount them.

In terms of sound, I'm definately not trying to convince anybody that it's an upright, but am just looking to (1) learn how to play fretless and (2) have a sonic texture to work with that I can't acheive with any of my existing gear (3) have a cool, unique instrument for a fairly small investment.

It'll 'prolly be a few weeks 'till I get started, but I'll keep everybody updated.

Archived