MICHAEL KELLY HYBRID GUITAR

Jon Chappell

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just wanted to take a sec and point out something that I stumbled across. Recently, I had the chance to try out the Parkwood Hybrid, which, I believe, has the same Fishman system in it, so I went to the Fishman site, to look around, and I found that Fishman makes a volume-type pedal, the Fishman Powerblend, that allows you to perform hands-free switching between the acoustic and electric pickups:

http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=31

Just thought I'd mention it, as it seems to really be a nice addition to the hybrid situation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I picked up a MK Hybrid at GC at the last big sale. Was a scratch and dent special (little scratch by the way) for a measly $125 and cant believe the range of this guitar! I can get a great surf tone out of it as well as great twang. I went in looking for something to use as a beater and ended up having another cant live without guitar. Now, Im back to the drawing board looking for another beater...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Members

I just wanted to take a sec and point out something that I stumbled across. Recently, I had the chance to try out the Parkwood Hybrid, which, I believe, has the same Fishman system in it, so I went to the Fishman site, to look around, and I found that Fishman makes a volume-type pedal, the Fishman Powerblend, that allows you to perform hands-free switching between the acoustic and electric pickups:

Just thought I'd mention it, as it seems to really be a nice addition to the hybrid situation.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Sounds like some great dynamic and expressive possibilities using this system.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Jus got myself a Hybrid Special, blem unit on ebay in the UK. these dang guitars are so hard to find. Seems to sound okay, haven't gig tested it yet, but will shortly. One thing, the neck pickup is set really low, almost flat. Reckon I should raise it, whaddya think?

==========================================================

http://www.myspace.com/musoweb

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hi, I recently purchased a MKH special.

Problems:

1) Cable was not provided.

2) Guitar emitted major hum under lights (on the gig)

3) My guitar tech stated that the guitar needed major grounding

4) and the Humbuckers need shielding. The wood caps does not have any..

I really love the concept of the guitar, but, right now it's not gigable..

• 8 months later...
  • Members
hi

forgive me if i have missed something - i have read about half of this thread and skimmed the rest.

most people seem interested in finding a balance between an acoustic and a rock guitar. i have actually been on the quest for an electric that gets a good jazz vibe as well as a good acoustic sound. seem all these semi-hollow guitars are designed for the rockers (no wonder, it's a much larger market).

I have tried a lot of hybrid/dual source guitars. I like a mellow, sweet, not overly dark tone - woody but still bright enough to articulate. I have owned a godin flat 5 x, played many others...

any thoughs about the MKH's range here? i know i can't expect miracles from an under 500 axe, but any thoughts are appreciated.

no, most are designed for jazz guys, low output neck pups

• Members

Hi, I recently purchased a MKH special.

Problems:

1) Cable was not provided.

2) Guitar emitted major hum under lights (on the gig)

3) My guitar tech stated that the guitar needed major grounding

4) and the Humbuckers need shielding. The wood caps does not have any..

I really love the concept of the guitar, but, right now it's not gigable..

oh SNAP, the voice of reason chimes in!

Can i stick the roland synth pickup on this thing?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
3 hours ago, Martin Scott said:

The 200 hours the 9 volt battery is projected to last is that playing hours or hours the battery is in the guitar?

Onboard preamp batteries inside your guitar are typically turned "on" whenever the cable is plugged into the guitar - there's usually a switch built into the output jack that disconnects the battery whenever the cable is disconnected. To make the battery last as long as possible, make sure you unplug the cable whenever you're not actually using the guitar. If you do that, you'll probably be able to get 200 playing hours - or close to it - out of a single battery. If you leave the cable plugged into the guitar all the time, the battery will die within a very short period of time - around 200 hours or so. 

Archived