MICHAEL KELLY HYBRID GUITAR

Jon Chappell

• Members

hi

forgive me if i have missed something - i have read about half of this thread and skimmed the rest.

most people seem interested in finding a balance between an acoustic and a rock guitar. i have actually been on the quest for an electric that gets a good jazz vibe as well as a good acoustic sound. seem all these semi-hollow guitars are designed for the rockers (no wonder, it's a much larger market).

I have tried a lot of hybrid/dual source guitars. I like a mellow, sweet, not overly dark tone - woody but still bright enough to articulate. I have owned a godin flat 5 x, played many others...

any thoughs about the MKH's range here? i know i can't expect miracles from an under 500 axe, but any thoughts are appreciated.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I read a comment on another board that the humbucker is very hot, and the person trying the guitar struggled to get a good clean sound from the guitar... although it sounds to me like he may have been using the wrong amp. I'd be interested to hear about this too... but admittedly I'd be more in the rock camp, since I will be switching between acoustic rhythm parts and creamy lead lines... although the prospect of getting a huge acoustic+overdriven rhythm sound in the pop/rock chorus is very tempting.

• Members

I just wanted to let everyone know that I purchased the hybrid about two months ago and it's perfect for my use. I play rhythm guitar in a country band and it allows me to use one guitar for acoustic and the same guitar for the more hard driving country/rock songs.

It stays in tune very well and I find that I use both pickups together, usually the humbucker at about a 5 setting and the acoustic at a setting of about 8 or so. I replaced the stock knobs with ones from a Les Paul, the clear ones with the numbers in white and now I can see exactly where my volume knobs are set.

I use heavy gauge strings, from a 12 to a 52 with a wound third string (18w). It sounds great with heavier strings. Once you get used to the volume control settings, it's very functional for my use, now I don't have to switch guitars during a set.

I also love the compact body on this guitar, it's very lightweight and very easy to play. I am going to run it through two DI boxes, one for the acoustic and the other for the humbucker so I will get a lot of versatility out of this guitar.

I really feel it fits my needs and the price is very good for this guitar, no way could I afford a T-5, this one fits my budget and my playing style.

I am very happy with it.

• Members

happy with mine too! It's not a T-5 or really a knock off other than the mimicked cutout. I played mine for some wedding events and it worked out nicely. I had a Blues Jr w Od on the main channel and the pezo through the board. The blend controls are great since I can set them where I want and add more of one to the house mix.

I did not get the special cord for mine. GC couldn't find it. Go figure huh? I made one of my own but it would have been nice if they had it. [edit:] The cord is supposed to be included with the guitar. Get GC to order you a replacement. --Jon C. Anyway, I think the guitar is a great add on to my setups and sound for the wedding band, club band and just sittin at home with it.

the craftsmanship is there and the pickups are quiet. I though I'd have concerns but none so far. MK is a great guitar company for budget conscious players like me.

MK Hybrid gets an A++++

• Members

I purchased the hybrid and would like to run each pickup separately into the PA system in our band. So, do I run the piezo pickup through a DI box (I have a Radial J48) and the humbucker pickup through a preamp (I have a Bellari Direct Drive Tube Mic Preamp)? Is that possible?

I also want to use some effects pedals (delay and chorus with the piezo and a modest amount of distortion with the humbucker) at certain times. Will that also work with the hybrid?

I realize that the stereo jack will allow me to split the pickups separately, but the DI is needed with the piezo and I have to use a preamp with the humbucker, is that correct? Can I do all of this without any problems?

Or what would you suggest I do with my DI box and my preamp. Both allow me to connect up to the PA system in two separte channels. This way the acoustic sound can be adjusted separately from the humbucker sound. Will this arrangement work?

• Members

Yes, you should run the piezo through a direct box. The D.I. does three things:

• So even though you can hit the input of a mixer directly with the buffered output from the piezo's onboard preamp, you couldn't do that over a long cable run (like in a live performance). The provided cable is short, suitable only for being in close proximity to the mixer.

• Members

For the magnetic pickup, the same principles apply, even though many effects pedals produce a low-impedance output.

So ideally, you'll need to seek a solution for your magnetic pickups, too -- like miking a small amp or using, again, a D.I. (because you still want the long-run, noise-rejection advantages that a three-pin balanced line gives you).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I've been really eager to check out this guitar in person. Finally made it down to the Des Moines GC last Wednesday. Friendly people--they say it's a great guitar--but not only none in stock, but no idea whether they would be getting one in anytime soon. Nobody who worked there seemed to know (or really, to care) whether they would ever get another one. There was no sense of urgency; no sense that they were actively trying to get them in stock.

When I pushed a bit, they checked other stores--apparently there are some in Davenport (over 200 miles from me), and if I would pay for one they would ship it over--and then I could return it if I didn't like it.

I'm very disappointed, especially considering all the promotion and hype and the "GC Exclusive". Kind of soured me on GC.

This is the exact same thing that happened to me in GC, only it's with one of thier upstate NY stores. I have been trying for over 3 months now to get my hands on this guitar. I will never, NEVER, did I say NEVER, go into another GC.
I ended up contacting MK guitars and speaking with somebody in distibuting about this slight to MK guitars by GC, in turn I have arranged (read as convinced) for a local small guitar shop to order one in for me (in the NEW Black) I am currently waiting for it to come in so I can hopefully spend some Tax $ on myself. :)

I really have enjoyed reading these posts and will give my opinions and observations on this guitar as soon as I finally get to play one.

As a side note, MK should drop GC as a distributor, (I know hard thing to do) because GC is doing MK no favors.

• Members

I don't know if anyone is aware, but at this years NAMM Show, Michael Kelly Guitars unveiled the new "Hybrid Special". It has TWO humbucker pickups with the piezo in the bridge, and one of the control pots is a push-pull pot that switches the humbuckers into single-coil mode. It comes in some great looking finishes too.

My local Chicago area Guitar Center has been very helpful to me in purchasing my hybrid. I think the people here in Chicago are knowledgable and they were even willing to order one of the brand new hybrid specials if I wanted one soon.

I usually "expect" an attidude from the staff at mosst guitar stores, so when they are actually nice to me, I give that person my busines again and again.

Check out the new Hybrid Special on their website. It's pretty versatile.

• Members

Hybrid Special - Now THIS may be what we've been waiting for! I remember being quite impressed with the original Hybrid's amplified acoustic sound, but found the magnetic side a bit too limiting. I posted these impressions here, as well. In the meantime, I bought a second-hand Peavey Generation EXP Custom ACM (yes, that's really the name of it) for $207 on EBay and have been generally pleased, even though it's "acoustic" sound is a step or 2 down from the MK. But this new Special adds another wrinkle. If I can get that awesome acoustic sound PLUS 2 HB's w/coil spliting, what else could I want? Sigh, now to convince the wife that I NEED yet another guitar...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I think Im in love with the Spalted Maple Hybrid Special. I wish I didnt buy my Larrivee now, I really dont deserve that guitar... this one seems much more suited for me. Ah, I wish I waited! Check out this beauty! :eek:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, I just got my Hybrid Special in yesterday, and I put it through it's paces today and had a ball with it. It plays like a dream, and the sound is good. I am going to be using this guitar primarily as an acoustic with some electric in the background, or occasionally as electric only. As such, I do a lot with capos and so put some HUGE jazz strings (13s) on there so I can use a capo without pulling the strings out of tune (D'Addario EJ22). I actually use these strings on my Michael Kelly Duce Phoenix, and thought I'd try them here. They sounded good, and I'm glad I changed to them. I could use a little more bass in the acoustic sound, but that's easy to fix on the amp/effect pedal side.

I actually am getting some bleed back and forth between the piezo and the humbuckers which I was not expecting. My switch to go between the acoustic or electric does not totally isolate one or the other. While switching the Hybrid to acoustic, I still get some electric coming through and vice versa. Honestly, while not what I wanted in that regard, this is not a problem since I am usually going through a PA with effect pedals. A good sound guy can turn down one or the other when it's needed, or else I'll just stick a volume pedal on my humbuckers and kill it when I need acoustic only. So, just a mild inconvenience for me.

This really is a remarkable guitar and well worth the money I paid for it. I am using this guitar for praise and worship and this is a nice way to add some edge behind the acoustic. I did play for a while before dialing in the tone I wanted, which is not a criticism. This guitar does so much, it's amazing all the sounds you can get. I love the coil tabs and the spalted maple top. Add to that the sound you get and I am going to be using this guitar for years to come. In fact, I think my wife is already calling this guitar "the other woman."

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi folks I'm brand new to the forum, just signed up 5 minutes ago. Here is my question. I have a Carvin AE 185, which is essentially a neck through electric with hollow side wings. It also has a piezo P'up as well as 2 HB's. What I am really looking for is a hollow body sound like a Sheraton 2, ect. How close to that kind of mellow jazz/blues tone does the M K hybrid come?I am attracted to the instrument but don't need another AE 185

• Members

buy a Sheraton if that's what you are really after. Hybrid is good, but nothing close to my Sheraton

Yeah, that is what I was afraid of. I love the look of the spalted special, but I really just don't need another AE 185 clone. All the hybrids seem to lack the resonance of the hollow bodies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi folks,

I bought a MK Hybrid Special a couple of weeks ago, and am returning to for two reasons:
- a nasty 60Hz hum that stops when I touch the pickup toggle and,
- the intonation in the guitar is out and likely can't be fixed without a competent luthier.

I want to know if anyone else has had these problems (I know, it's a $600 guitar) or if I may have just got one that shouldn't have left the factory. I love the feel and the sound is great, but I can't gig with it as is. I hope this is just one that got away.

• Members

Didn't you buy it from a guitar store? If so, they are the ones that are supposed to set it up for you. Mine did, and it works great. How did you purchase your guitar? You always need to take a new guitar and have it set up before using it.

My salesperson noticed that my bridge was reversed when he first pulled it out, so he refersed it and it worked fine. Let the people who have the knowledge work on it, there should be no reason to exchange it if you don't even take it to a guitar store or repair place to fix it. Everyone knows that guitars can get out of tune in transit or there may be little things that go wrong initially. But that should also be covered by your warranty. Didn't anyone tell you about that either.

Take it to where you bought it before doing anything else! Tell them what's wrong, let them fix it.

• Members

Maybe I missed it in the thread but where is this built?

Also, anyone compared this side by side with the carter SA series? Im pretty sold on the MK but not 100% just yet.

• Members

I'm very interested in this guitar as well. I have Gibson Godtone Amp with 'Hi' and 'Lo' Inputs. I'd be planning to plug the magnetic output through an overdrive into the "hi" input and the piezo straight into the "lo" input. Is this the way to do it? (I'm not sure what the difference between the inputs is...I *think* 'lo' gives you more headroom). Also, should I have some sort of pre-amp for the piezo output? The Goldtone amp is a very clean amp, but not designed for acoustic amplification which worries me slightly...

• Members

I'm very interested in this guitar as well. I have Gibson Godtone Amp with 'Hi' and 'Lo' Inputs. I'd be planning to plug the magnetic output through an overdrive into the "hi" input and the piezo straight into the "lo" input. Is this the way to do it? (I'm not sure what the difference between the inputs is...I *think* 'lo' gives you more headroom). Also, should I have some sort of pre-amp for the piezo output? The Goldtone amp is a very clean amp, but not designed for acoustic amplification which worries me slightly...

You're correct in your assumptions about how the high and low inputs work -- the high input is for the relatively weak signal of a passive pickup and the low input works better for active pickups, which would include the piezo output of the MKH, which is buffered.

But if you want to use the two inputs simultaneously, you need to check that the amp is designed to work that way. Some amps with separate high and low inputs are not.

• 3 months later...

Archived