MICHAEL KELLY HYBRID GUITAR

Jon Chappell

• Members

If I were to purchase a guitar like the Hybrid I probably wouldn't use a 'blend' of electric and acoustic as much as one or the other. An acoustic with distortion guitar blended seems pointless to me.
As BuckyB has pointed out, the Hybrid seems to be geared more towards a rhythm guitarist. Doesn't appeal to someone needing a full palette of electric sounds. It's more of a novelty guitar for only a few songs.

Jun

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If the piezo pickup could be adapted to drive a hex output (like the roland GK system or LR Baggs ) as well as the stereo output jack then it'd be the perfect guitar...

You could use it to drive a MIDI converter, or their VG-8 technology. It could also be used to drive the Line 6 Variax system, removed from the body and rackmounted. (i've been trying to find out exactly how to do this, it has been done, but hav'nt been able to get very far with it...(link)).

Or you could just have each string output seperately using one of these. http://www.rmcpickup.com/fanoutbox.html

Thats gone a touch off topic and I apologise, but I do think that having hex output would make it perfect :D It'd also go some way to a solution about having only the one pickup.

Or maybe i'm just rambling, never mind.

• Members

Hey everyone!
Tats_Dragon said,

"If I were to purchase a guitar like the Hybrid I probably wouldn't use a 'blend' of electric and acoustic as much as one or the other. An acoustic with distortion guitar blended seems pointless to me."

Your right! But thats why in steroe as metioned above you run the Y cable into 2 sound sources. ! acoustic Amp or PA and then your choice of electric amp for the magnetic pickup. That way, you dont have an acoustic with distortion. The acoustic is split so its clean and full! While the electric also split and separated is distorted or not. Its up to you... but in this mode you wouldnt have a distorted acoustic.

• Members

T-rock,

There have been a couple people comment on the ‘Middle Humbucker” position. The Magnetic pickup is not a "Middle" humbucker. Looking at it at first will give anyone that perception, so I do see where that’s coming from.

It SOUNDED like a middle humbucker to me when I tried it at GC.

I totally understand the concept of using an insert cable running an electric amp and the piezo DI'ed a PA. My 'distorted acoustic' comment, i should've clarified, was a response to your statement of:

However, the humbucker model and placement was very crucial to the overall design of the Hybrid tonally. Not only when its in use by itself, but also blended with the acoustic pickup.

If the mag pickup positon was chosen with a 'blend' in mind, as you pointed out, your electric amp definately has to be tweaked every time you use the Hybrid.

Jun

• Members

Hey Tats!

You my friend have the best posts! Thanks for everything....however I again have to reply to your comment:

"If the mag pickup positon was chosen with a 'blend' in mind, as you pointed out, your electric amp definately has to be tweaked every time you use the Hybrid."

Not True... if you use 2 separate sound sources split using the Hybrid stereo jack this is not neccasary. As soon as you dial in your electric sound it there. Just like a regular electric guitar...It wont change on you. If you have a 2 channel amp you can set a clean tone on the acoustic pickup if you choose not to run into 2 separate sound sources.

Now I myself tweak my sound no matter where I am playing. Thats just me! Every room sounds different. But a major tweaking or set up? no way! This guitar was made to be a players guitar! Easy to understand and work with.

The same tweaking done to a standard a strat at one club on Friday and then another club on Saturday to get the best sound in the room, as minor as it might be is the same tweaking it would take on the Hybrid! I do this myself 3 times a week...

As soon as I was dialed in the first time, its been my go to axe...I have 2 songs that I do not use it on and they are both tunes I need a neck humbucker tone only.....

Thanks guys and take care.

• Members

Listened to the clips:

The acoustic sound is nice the distortion sound is not
at all useful to me , blend is also useless to me .

I need acoustic or driven ; Scorpions, def leopard, rat,doken.
The clips sound like Ted Nuggent , not usefull.

Acoustic and electric with little compromise to either in one
guitar would be awesome.
But half measures are what they are.
Taylors T5 by the way is crap in the electric mode also , acoustic is
of course very nice....

I like the body size, the T5 Taylor is too big.

Head stock is not terrible , Schecter Blackjack series might work
or a blend of the two.
Solid and colored flame would be nice additions.
Stained finishes.

Just saying it's not ready for my use, but may be great for
multitudes of other players.

Fantastic concept.
ps needs 24 frets...
Is the scale 24 3/4" ? 25 1/2 "

:thu:

• Members

I am sure everyone knows that sound files sound different through different systems.

Just for the record... high gain amp and your there for those styles mentioned....
Again, I play all sorts of music and it works for all. This is to exception to one style and thats the extreme metal! Even with my mesa cranked. (THAT WAS LOUD BTW)

The acoustic sound I agree is top notch! And when you have the option to split it sparate, man can you really dial her in...

• Members

Ok then....once again I will ask..and maybe it IS not important...but, Put the hummbucker here, put it there...piezo here or there...obviously very important questions IF........the frame those pickups sit on are worth a poop......so is this guitar well built to start with or not...no point in talking about what the stereo can do untill we establish that the tires can hold the road ...IMHO.........

• Members
Originally posted by TR2

I am sure everyone knows that sound files sound different through different systems...

I mentioned the hi gain sounded like Ted Nugent, a sound I can't use.

For driven sounds I'd need sounds like ;Scorpions, def leopard, rat,doken.

I also said I like the Acoustic clips ,they are nice I'd like to be using it for that,
but you say ...sound files sound different through different systems, so am I to not trust what I heard ?

Or :
trust the nice acoustic clip.
and disregard the weak overdriven clip.

Found no dimensions or complete specs nor options
on the Kelly site.

I did a GC and MF search can't find the guitar.

Scale length
upper & lower bout
thickness
finish options
tuners

This looks like a very cool guitar, price is great.

• Members

for strat2 (you da man)
but you say ...sound files sound different through different systems, so am I to not trust what I heard ?

I see what your trying to say (understandable BTW:>)) and maybe I should have been more clear or politicaly correct in my response...so here it goes..

Sound clips are honest assements of a general sound no matter who or what is playing or being used. Are you going to sound the same as any soundclip you hear online if you buy that item? Probably not. There are many variables that go into this where a guitar or a guitar pickup is concerned...

For example:
The player and thier individual teqnique and style, all the way to thier rig, setup, and pedals if any and even the differences in hearing those said sound files in different computer speakers to the way it was recorded!

So these as most if not all other soundfiles no matter what they are for would be a general assesment of the overal sound that you can get of that particular item.

Is it the only sound, best sound or prefered sound? Of coarse not and also a matter of opinion on the latter 2. (Which I really cant dive into):>)

Our test amp (KUSTOM 212 Coupe) was set flat and the gain was roughly @ about 6:00. There was much more room to drive it if needed. But thats another video and studio session!

For your other questions:

I did a GC and MF search can't find the guitar.

These are avaialbe in GC stores only! Not online...So a search and or MF would not help you in your quest...

Scale length = 24 3/4
upper Bout = Roughly 9/34"
lower bout = Roughly 13"
thickness = 2 1/8
finish options = Natural Only
tuners =Grover

Thanks again and hope this helps!

• Members
Originally posted by trockfield

for strat2 (you da man)

I see what your trying to say (understandable BTW:>)) and maybe I should have been more clear or politicaly correct in my response...so here it goes..

"politicaly correct" ?

:freak:

• Members

It was in reference to the sound files in my first response and earlier in the thread. This is where I possibly should have explained more clearly and with more detail to hit all points.

With all the variables involved that go into recording any particular sound file, I thought it was common knowledge that any sound file created was not to be the "end all be all", but a starting point to showcase the versatility or sound of any particular item. This assumption, on my part was not the "correct" thing to do and I should have explained better.

For when you’re talking tone, it’s a personal preference for all of us, and our settings and sound files it might not be for you...

But that doesn’t mean that our instrument won’t do what you need it to do or sound the way you want it to sound...

Next time... I will read and explain more thoroughly.

Great Job Strat2 and thanks….

• Members

I have a couple questions regarding the intonation of this instrument:

1) What string guage is the guitar intonated for (since there are not adjustable bridge saddles)? I thought I read somewhere that it is optimized for light "10" guage strings, which is fine for me.

2) When looking at photos of the bridge, it appears as though the compensation is set up for a wound "G" string. I don't know this for sure, having not played one of these beauties yet, but I have never encounted a set of light-guage strings with a wound "G" and I was wondering how the intonation holds up when playing chords on the higher frets.

• Members
Originally posted by TR2

Just for the record... high gain amp and your there for those styles mentioned....

Again, I play all sorts of music and it works for all. This is to exception to one style and thats the extreme metal! Even with my mesa cranked.

Clips ?

Include amp / pedals where applicable, I

Edit to add : oops hit wrong button see below ;

:eek::freak::cry:

• Members
Originally posted by TR2

Again, I play all sorts of music and it works for all. This is to exception to one style and thats the extreme metal! Even with my mesa cranked.

Clips ?

Include amp / pedals where applicable, If you get the time.

A guit that can give clean Acoustic , and even three or four
of these :

Dokken , Scorpions, Ratt, Priest,EVH,
Triumph,Rhoads,White Snake...

Actually I wouldn't need to match even one of these, just
a loose blend of any combination would work fine, as a ball park starting point,
(Nugent would definetly not be a starting point for my use).

You don't need to play leads at all if you don't like to, we can
definetly tell by a few power chords and general clunk clunk....

A guit that can give good Acoustic as well as useable 80's
metal is something I need bad.

Thanks for the scale length and dimensions....

• Members

I have a couple questions regarding the intonation of this instrument:

1) What string guage is the guitar intonated for (since there are not adjustable bridge saddles)? I thought I read somewhere that it is optimized for light "10" guage strings, which is fine for me.

2) When looking at photos of the bridge, it appears as though the compensation is set up for a wound "G" string. I don't know this for sure, having not played one of these beauties yet, but I have never encounted a set of light-guage strings with a wound "G" and I was wondering how the intonation holds up when playing chords on the higher frets.

The Hybrid Guitar comes Stock with D'Addario EXL110 model strings.

These are lights (.010 - .046) and it is not a wound G. The saddle is compensated @ the "B"

There has not been nor was there an issue with the intonation on the Hybrid at any point.

Also, none of the test players or Tech's that worked on the design had any comments or problems with this area.

I can see though that in the upper register there might be some minor areas of concern since the Hybrid is set up like an acoustic guitar.... However, I have not had or heard of any issue...

• Members

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by TR2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Really sounds good to me --- CLIPS ?

• Members

Sorry Strat2... dont have any extra clips a this time and wont for a while. I am in the process of recording some, (personal only) but none as of yet. Using this alot live right now.

However, if you think about the difference you would get with what you hear on the current files recorded with a 212 Kustom Coupe set flat with the gain section only at 6:00 to 8:00 roughly, there is much more room to play with compared to a high gain amp like a triple rectifier. Even with some pedals as you mentioned using... there is more room to do what ayone needs...I know this cant help your ears right now...but stay tuned for more on those. Just trying to help!

• Members

Ok..maybe its me..I think the pickup should be .000756 millimeters more towards the bridge myself...but Im fussy that way..... I guess Im a little more concerned right now about if I hammer on/off and play it like a guitar will get played...will the neck stay on?...in tune(sort of)?....switches wont fall out after 30 swipes...that kind of nuts and bolts stuff.............the tone thing is totally subjective to the player, all good points to be sure...but no-one has said if this is a well made guitar or not..........I for one would like to know........perhaps the kelly line is one of those "givens" that I missed....construction is huge to me......

• Members
Originally posted by trockfield

Sorry Strat2... dont have any extra clips a this time and wont for a while. I am in the process of recording some, (personal only) but none as of yet. Using this alot live right now.

However, if you think about the difference you would get with what you hear on the current files recorded with a 212 Kustom Coupe set flat with the gain section only at 6:00 to 8:00 roughly, there is much more room to play with compared to a high gain amp like a triple rectifier. Even with some pedals as you mentioned using... there is more room to do what ayone needs...I know this cant help your ears right now...but stay tuned for more on those. Just trying to help!

Thanks Todd ,

Yea if it works out down the road that would be cool, this guit is
a ways off for me as there are no local stores, probably have to
wait and order one online when they become available.
I have an idea tight, defined overdrive will be there, just trying to
get a heads up on it.....

• Members

Thanks for the question....
The construction is very solid and has been mentioned prior in the initial review and on the site. However, to re-iterate:

Specially chambered solid Mahogany Body
Mahogany Neck
Rosewood Board
Set neck
Laminated Flame Maple Top
Custom Fishman Blender
Rockfield SWC Custom Humbucker

So.....the neck wont fall off... promise. :>)

The one thing that people have mentioned besides how good The Hybrid sounds is how solid it is. Its a guitar players guitar and feels like one! Its not your grandma's Tea cup!

There shouldnt be any worries here. Go to the site and check it out...

These are also only available @ Guitar Center so check them out there too! Take care!

• Members

Trock, thank you much..thats all I wanted to hear...for a couple of reasons....1....I have a GC minutes from my house..I often drive right by for reasons I have no reason to discuss here..2)I really want to wrap my arms around an instument like this if it truly is what it says it is at the price..as we all would I am sure...3) just wanted someone to back it up so that down the road we all can agree on Your reviews being truly Honest....Kind of a reviewing the reviewer thing....Just cuz Im a big fan of puttin it on the table... and u did...so Im all over GC tomorrow just on that alone..and I hope I am as Impressed w/this guit as I am With Your obvious Knowledge.....thank u much for the response...........
PS- Wasnt being a smart ass about the neck thing...I've had it happen...and I do apologize for missing prior constuction details...just wanted to hear someone say "yep...all good".....Estaban says his have........well, aint even goin there.....

Archived