DigiTech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor

Jon Chappell

• Members

a few questions for the RP350 experts:

#1- I am considering getting a RP350 (previous owner of RP200A and GNX3) and want to use one XLR to go to soundboard and one XLR to go to my amp for use as guitar only monitor. Is there a setting to set the XLR outputs as MONO (same signal to both)?

#2- Has anyone used this with both electric and acoustic guitars? I have a primary setup for my acoustic/elctric (Taylor 314ce with ES) but may want to try some light chorus/reverb effects only...no amp models.

#3- how is the accuracy of the tuner? will it be as good as my Fender PT-100 and the internal tuner on my Vox Valvetronix AD60VTX?

thanks!

To answer question #2, I have used the RP100 with an Alvarez PJ85, and with some tweaking, I was able to get a pretty decent sound. I have a short clip recorded; PM me if you want to hear it. I'll post it on my soundclick or something.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey Jon, how it with external MIDI control, like from a sequencer? I'm going to be checking that out soon and will post here with what I find, but I wonder if there's anything you've found of which I should be aware.

For this series of RP processors, DigiTech has chosen not to include MIDI control. For you guitarists looking for realtime MIDI control, and other MIDI features, check out DigiTech's GNX Guitar Workstations.

I downloaded the latest x-edit 2.1 and it appears there is midi after all!

untitled2uw0.jpg

looking closer at the RP-150 usb driver inf ( DigiUsb.inf )
;
; DIGIUSB.INF
;
; Copyright © 2003 CEntrance, Inc.
;
; For DigiTech RPX400/Vx400

String Definitions
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[strings]
Provider = "DigiTech"
USBMfg = "DigiTech"
CEUSBAUDIO.DeviceDesc = "DigiTech USB Audio Device"
CEUSBMIDI1.DeviceDesc = "DigiTech USB MIDI Device (Port 1)"
CEUSBMIDI2.DeviceDesc = "DigiTech USB MIDI Device (Port 2)"
CEUSBAUDIO.Desc = "DigiTech USB Audio"
CEUSBMIDI1.Desc = "DigiTech USB X-Edit"
CEUSBMIDI2.Desc = "DigiTech USB Control"
CEUSBAUDIO.SvcDesc = "DigiTech USB Audio Driver"
CEUSBMIDI1.SvcDesc = "DigiTech USB MIDI Driver"
CEUSBMIDI2.SvcDesc = "DigiTech USB MIDI Driver"

The usb driver is clearly Audio and midi.

Also

The X-Edit Help.chm (help file) states

" Try opening a preset, then grab a knob on your unit and twist it. You’ll see the corresponding control in X-Edit change immediately. The same goes for storing presets, changing global settings, etc. This ensures that no matter how you prefer to work, your editor and your Lexicon device are always in sync. "

If is not midi then what is it? So what is the implementation?

Well the obvious thing to do is to connect a Vst host or midox and monitor midi sysex messages.... (not to mention what could be don with borgs midi translator)
can someone do this please .... !

Real-time adjustment of effects or settings is an important feature that i'm looking, when considering buying a unit like this, especially when thinking about reamping ....

The pod 2.0 has this feature, someone even made a vst plugin for it though sending midi cc's from any vst plugin works fine too.

However from what i've heard the Rp150 / 250 /350 sound better than the pod.

The other point i want to make is that if this thing is really just an external sound card with DSP software built in why shouldn't it be just as configurable
as say an old creative sound blaster or sound blaster live ( see the KX project - alternative drivers for Sb-live with user programmable dsp fx's including amp emulators !)

Well if its meant to be a stompbox / preamp / fx unit why can it not also be controlled by midi ast this facility has been around for years now.how about decoding sysex .... using a uno chip modded Behringer FCB 1010 floorboard controller to woork with it for advanced live setup. (even though a modded behringer may still have issues).

Don't get me wrong, i understand digitech's approach , low entry product , don't want to confuse or take the fun out of it with too many options etc give people what will work easiest and best, with out the hype .... sorry line 6 pod manual makes me sick ...:blah: :blah:

it seems like a great product... if only the RP-150 control pedal was assignable ,unlike that built in with the 250 then i'd probably just buy one straight away... and try figure out the rest.
Anyway ...i'm sure i might cop some flack for this for having unrealistic expectations or for shimmering the clear outline of the Rp-250 line as simple and easy to use.

Really though if i plug it in to my (non effect loop) amp valve amp with the amps controls set to flat will it sound any good.:thu:

If i only end up using next to a pc then why not just use free vst amp modelers KVR has a big list.

Anyway

Big Jim Beamer

P.s

Please some informative comments ...

• Members

Pretty sure the unit is intended for use similar to that of a stompbox, that is into an amp/PA system. The USB interface and recording features are the "icing", if you will. Yes, indeed there is a MIDI (esque) CC messages which allow transfer between the unit and PC when connected, however the implementation is nominal (as you have seen). However, I'm really hoping they take advantage of this ability by eventually offering additional features/effects via downloadable upgrade.

The expression pedal is absolutely assignable, but only to a single parameter at a time (but that can be any parameter) in addition to switching to wah when extra pressure is applied.

As far as hacking the device, I'm not entirely sure I understand your post. Anyone can hack any digital device given the time and knowledge, but why? If you're smart enough to hack the DSP, why not just develop a VST plug which would do what you desire?

And if you enjoy all the free VST emulators out there, why not just use them? Are you asking us to convince you otherwise...because I'm all about free when free fulfills a need This device has a value and I believe the price justifies that value.

• Members

Pretty sure the unit is intended for use similiar to that of a stompbox, that is into an amp/PA system. The USB interface and recording features are the "icing", if you will.

I figure the presets sound best through headphones or small amp at low volumes in the store.

Yes, indeed there is a MIDI (esque) CC messages which allow transfer betwwen the unit and PC when connected, however the implementation is nominal (as you have seen).

Can you send me some data using midiox, so i can take a look. cheers

However, I'm really hoping they take advantage of this ability by eventually offering additional features/effects via down loadable upgrade.

If i get on me too, but more likely bug fixes. I guess it won't happen until way down the track or unless people ask for it.

The expression pedal is absolutely assignable, but only to a single parameter at a time (but that can be any parameter) in addition to switching to wah when extra pressure is applied.

Ok can you tell me that for sure about the RP-150, i had a look at the demo on their site ... theres no 'expression' tab on the x-edit shown. The RP-250 demo shows an expression tab at the bottom of the screen. What happens if you plug a control pedal into the RP-150 does a expression tab suddenly appear dynamically?in x-edit will it disappear if you remove it while using x-edit. One parameter per patch may well be enough......

As far as hacking the device, I'm not entirely sure I understand your post. Anyone can hack any digital device given the time and knowledge, but why? If you're smart enough to hack the DSP, why not just develop a VST plug which would do what you desire?

What i was saying about 'hacking' is that people will do this to make something more useful ... i'm not suggesting hacking the DSP of the digitech, simply looking at the communication between it and a PC / Mac so as to use it to its full capacities with currently available music applications & tools.

And if you enjoy all the free VST emulators out there, why not just use them? Are you asking us to convince you otherwise...because I'm all about free when free fullfills a need. This device has a value and I believe the price justifies that value.

The fact that you can stream music back from the computer gave me the impression that its more akin to a USB sound card.In fact the promo Pdf doesn't even show the pedal, just a kid with a laptop and an amp.

150uc3.jpg

It could be good with a laptop , as most laptops have crappy sound cards. I have a good pc sound card already!

For live use it really needs to stack up... cause i cant take a free amp vst and stomp on it without really messing up the laptop:lol:

The valve it's worth is the price people will pay for it.... its true value is in how they can use it.

Anyway

Big Jim Beamer

• Members

I was just wondering if anyone has compared the RP250/RP350 with the effects in the EX-7 Expression Factory? The RP350 and EX-7 both go for $200 at MF and other etailers. But the RP350 has so many more effects PLUS presets PLUS the AudioDNA2 chip PLUS USB and X-edit while the EX-7 uses the previous generation chip and you can't preset your favourite settings per pedal model. With the exception of the univibe I think the RP250 has all the EX-7 effects - the RP350 includes the univibe too. I can see how Digitech is pricing the EX-7 as compared to wah pedals out there - 'hey, it's a wah PLUS these other cool effects' - but as compared to their RP350 the price is way high to me. But the proof is in the sounds, ain't it?

• Members

Here is one thing you can try ...snip...

DigiTech just announced a new rack processor called the GSP1101 which will alleviate this problem because it has an effects loop built in. If you think it through, with the GSP you can route all of the effects before you're preamp that need to go there and all of the effects between your preamp and power amp that need to go there by routing guitar->GSP input->GSP fx loop send->amp input->amp fx loop send->GSP fx loop return->GSP output->amp fx loop return.

I hope that makes sense. It does require a little thought and some extra cables. You would just turn off the amp and cab model in the GSP and everything should sound great! I hope this helps.

Gorno,

Have you actually tried the routing you suggest? I would like to know how well this actually works. If you have tried this what modeling/effect unit did you use and how well did it work? I am returning to playing after a very long hiatus and have so far got an American Deluxe HSS Strat and a Peavey ValveKing 112. I currently have no effects or modeling units so I am trying to investigate all my options. If what you suggest works well it would be an ideal way to switch between the combos preamp and a modeling unit.

- thanks

• Members

I have a question that I haven't seen asked yet. My RP250 when played through either of my amps has a serious loss of sustain. In other words, the sound just cuts off way early on the B and E strings in particular. I can tell the string is still vibrating strongly, but the sound cuts out.

I have only used the presets so far. has anyone else noticed this? Is there some kind of noise reduction going on? I don't really want to introduce any more hiss than there already is, but playing any kind of solo that has a long ringing note doesn't work on this thing so far.

Any suggestions?

• Members

I have a question that I haven't seen asked yet. My RP250 when played through either of my amps has a serious loss of sustain. In other words, the sound just cuts off way early on the B and E strings in particular. I can tell the string is still vibrating strongly, but the sound cuts out.

I have only used the presets so far. has anyone else noticed this? Is there some kind of noise reduction going on? I don't really want to introduce any more hiss than there already is, but playing any kind of solo that has a long ringing note doesn't work on this thing so far.

Any suggestions?

From what you describe it sounds like the noise gate is on and the threshold parameter may be set too high. Try decreasing the threshold on your noise gate and see if that helps.

• Members

just a quick question,
Can I bypass the amp and cab modeling with the RP x50 ?
I need an effects unit on my pedal board, I'm looking to just use the delay reverb chrous filter etc. I play jazz, funk and blues, don't really need any drives.

I'm also thinking about the Zoom G2, which would be a better choice ?

• Members

just a quick question,

Can I bypass the amp and cab modeling with the RP x50 ?

I need an effects unit on my pedal board, I'm looking to just use the delay reverb chrous filter etc. I play jazz, funk and blues, don't really need any drives.

Yes, you can bypass the amp/cab modeling. Each section can be individually bypassed. I'm using it the same way as you want to (as an effects unit into a tube amp).

js

• Members

wow, what a great informative thread!
I've come to this thread in a bit of a strange way...
I bought an RP200A a month or so ago, as it was on a great discontinued model price (£64.99). I use a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade live, so have inbuilt FX, and realyy wanted the RP as a multiple tuner/wah/volume pedal.

Anyway down at rehearsal I put it in front of the amp, and found that even in bypass, the hiss it generated was completely intolerable. Took it out of the equation, and all silent again. Digitech support could not shed any light, so I asked the retailer to take it back, and agreed to pay the extra £20 for a 300A.

Courier comes on Friday, and inside, I find a 250, (extra £80).

My question to you experienced RP guys is, is the 250 worth the extra for me? I like the idea of the IPS occasionally, and mainly am looking to put it in front of the amp for tuning/wah/volume. (I don't think the the old series had a V-switch to kick the wah on?)

Is the bypass more sophisticated on the x50 series?

thanks in advance guys

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Great site! Kudos to the administrator. I am an average player in an above average classic rock cover band. I recently received the RP 250 as a gift and am slightly overwhelmed, as well as more than a little impressed. I wonder if I might get some help. I have been playing for several years , but am not a gear-head and know little about classic stomboxes or amps. Have run through all the factory presets and wonder where I should start in terms of getting a close approximation to a Billy Gibbons sound (Tush, La Grange), an Eric Clapton sound (Cocaine, I Shot the Sheriff), and a Skynyrd sound
(Sweet Home Alabama, Call Me the Breeze). Can I start with one of the presets or should I go from scratch? Are people happy with the Stevie Ray preset, or would you make some edits?
Lastly, I have gleaned from this forum tha most people are wary of playing this live unless it is directly through the PA. Is that the consensus?
I play a '79 American Strat with DiMarzio Vintage Area '58 pickups, as well as a Paul Stanley model Silvertone with Duncan Humbuckers (inexpensive, but kinda cool looking and not a bad tone). I am playing through a 100W Laney (British tube amp).
Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Members

Hi folks, I'm actually a Genesis 3 user (and former J-Station user -because someone stole it!) but I'd like to help if I can.

nickt:
Are you saying your retailer is asking for more sterling because he sent you the wrong box? Regarding the bypass: The RP series (and most multi-effect units) actually convert your guitar signal into a digital one and processes it from there. The noise you hear, therefore, is inherent in the electronics of the unit and unavoidable unless you hardwire bypass the unit completely (otherwise, you're just turning effects off). I've experienced the same hiss/noise issue with my Genesis 3 when using it as an effect processor for my amps. The best way to deal with this is to turn the output level up on the Digitech unit and turn the input level on the amp down or to try using it in the effect send/return of your amp (if it has one).

TexasRocks:
This is from the Roger Linn Design website and is a great answer for your last question:

(insert RP250 wherever "Adrenalinn" appears)
Q: What guitar amp do you recommend I play my AdrenaLinn through when I play live?

A: If you’re only using AdrenaLinn’s effects and not the amp models, then I’d recommend you use the amp you like best because it’s really personal taste. Filters effects are similar to wah pedal effects, so if you like a certain amp with wah pedal, chances are you’ll like the same amp with AdrenaLinn’s filter effects.

However, if you’re using AdrenaLinn’s amp models, then the best amp is a full-range powered monitor because it faithfully reproduces the intended sound of the amp modeling product, just like recording direct. This is true for any amp modeler—POD, AmpliTube, etc. Running an amp modeler through an amp is akin to running a Fender amp through a Marshall; you might like how it sounds but it’s not very predictable. The trouble is that guitar amps always color the sound and never faithfully reproduce the guitar’s sound, which is a good thing and the reason you bought the amp. And every great-sounding guitar amp colors the sound in a different and uniquely good way. AdrenaLinn, POD and other modelers have an “amp” mode which attempts to compensate for this coloring, but it’s really impossible to compensate for the unique coloration of each guitar amp you might be running your modeler into.

The bottom line is this: If running your guitar through any amp modeler before your guitar amp sounds good to you, don’t change a thing. However, if you want to hear an amp modeler’s sound as it was intended to be heard, plug directly from the modeler’s output into your console for recording or into a flat-response powered monitor for live. For live play, I (Roger) run my AdrenaLinn II directly into a Mackie SRM450 powered PA monitor and it sounds great.

Hope that helps...
JP

• Members

Hey guys. I use the RP200A in front of my amp. Honestly after minimal tweaking it sounds huge. I use about 5 presets.

So, I thought since my 200A sounds so good I though I would try the improved 250. When plugged into the front of my amp it sounds like it's being played thru an 8 inch transister radio. I've tried tweaking and tweaking. I ended up taking it back. Was there something I was doing wrong?

• Members

For my birthday I recently got a Pandora PDX4-D (or whatever the number is, the new, grey one) and I'm really happy with it. I wanted something for headphone practice, etc. But that's another story.

Given that I really like the variety of sounds I can get from the Korg, it's piqued my interest in a mfx to replace my pedalboard - I think I have 7 pedals on there now. I really like the sound of the new Digitech RP - as heard in this thread and on their site.

My question is, how are they for live use? I'd primarily be interested in the RP350 because I like the idea of the A/B switch. I'm new to mfx units, so I'm just curious as to whether they're a pain to use live, etc.

My band primarily plays funk, reggae, rock, whatever. I mainly want good clean and OD sounds, with the ability to add various flavors, as needed. Does the A/B switch on the RP350 prove to be worth the extra $$? I guess the other main concern I have is balancing the volume of the various patches I might use live - in general is that a pain? Any general input would be helpful, thanks.

Oh, and BTW, John, you ordered me (:)) to go to my local shop to compare my crybaby vs the wahs in the RP units - unfortunately my "local" shop is 45 minutes away, and they do not have the new units in stock yet. I plan to do the comparison as soon as possible.

• Members

My question is, how are they for live use? I'd primarily be interested in the RP350 because I like the idea of the A/B switch. I'm new to mfx units, so I'm just curious as to whether they're a pain to use live, etc.

Does the A/B switch on the RP350 prove to be worth the extra $$?

I guess the other main concern I have is balancing the volume of the various patches I might use live - in general is that a pain? Any general input would be helpful, thanks.

I used mine live yesterday for first time (I use in praise band at church). Not the same as full on gigging as we only do about 6 songs for a service. But I used with three different tones, one clean, one high gain, and one acoustic guitar.

In my mind, the A/B switching is a necessity. If you combine that with the ability to assign the pedal to any parameter (both variable parameters as well as on/off for given effect)....it is a must have. Very simple to use.

As to the different volumes for different patches (this is critical at church where you need them all to be about the same level. It is very easy to acheive this for various patches as well as A-amp and B-amp. Just adjust the amp gain, volume, and EQ sets where you want them and you can get a consistant level. This is one area that the RP350 outshines my Vox AD60VTX setup.

If you are looking to replace a pedal board with this, it WILL have all the nice tones and adjustability that you need. Where I find it falls short is in the ease of knob tweaking while performing. With all knobs available at all times on your pedals, you may find the menu surfing a hassle at first.

I may have mine up for sale soon since another guitarist at our church has a spare Utopia for me to try out, but I recommend the RP350 for sound.

• Members

Thanks for the info kensmith - that's exactly what I wanted to know. I know that onstage tweaking might be a bit of a hassle, but once the interface is learned well enough, it will probably be fine. Part of what's got me thinking about this is that I want to add a fuzz pedal and a tuner to my board at some point, and those 2 pedals by themselves would equal the price of the RP350 - or more, depending on which fuzz pedal.

• Members

Santos, if you really like the Pandora tones you're getting then it's worth checking out the multi-effects offerings from Korg and Vox (same company). Some of the models I've used on the Tonelab and on (cheaper) Korg stuff sounds better to me than my Digitech (the mdoels of the Vox, Fender, and Marshall amps, for example). I still prefer the Triple Rectifier on the Digitech.

Every multi-modeler will require you to balance out patches before you first play live. I don't think any unit gets that annoying change right. Once you get that tweaked, I don't think any one of the units on the market is bad for live use!

JP

• Members

JPLEONG: thanks for the advice. I'm not sure why I wasn't considering the Korg mfx units - I'll have to take a look. I know that the big Korg unit is only $50 more than the RP350 right now, and it has more footswitches, which probably would give it more flexibility in a live situation.

I kind of had a feeling that getting the patch levels right was just a trial and error process.

• Members

So, as I’m in the market for a multi-effects unit for my rig (budget mandates this as opposed to individual pedals, and I like the availability of amp/cab sims for recording and/or going straight to a PA). At lunch today I went to Guitar Center and demoed both the Line 6 Floor POD and the DigiTech RP350. My test was with a Fender Standard Stratocaster into each unit respectively, and then I used headphones to evaluate each unit (I didn’t plug either of them into an amp).

I wasn’t blown away by either of these units. Neither of them really had a “tube” sound/feel to me…however, for $200 each, I wasn’t totally expecting to (though it would certainly have been nice if I was).

Line 6 Floor POD:

Pros:

The tone is bold and in your face – by this, I mean that the tone feels full and robust, not thin.
Ease of use – I found it very easy to rotate through the amp models and control gain, output volume, and tone. Changing the effects parameters was very easy as well. This unit is pretty much idiot proof.
FX Control – excellent feature, lets you turn off and on individual effects without changing preset banks, and add a touch of volume and overdrive for lead
All metal construction – at least as far as I could tell, the entire unit was metal construction (the knobs may be plastic, but they have a metal feel to them).

Cons:

The tone is harsh[er] – this unit sounded a bit more “digital” than the DigiTech RP350. I didn’t get enough time to really sit down and tweak settings, so I don’t know if that can be tweaked out.
No tuner foot access – you need to bend down and hold the “tuner” button in order to get into tuning mode. With that said, the tuner in this unit is excellent.
No foot tap tempo – you need to bend down and tap the “tap tempo” button in order to set tempo for delay.
No USB – no USB output for computer editing/updating/recording. Not a huge deal, but it would certainly have been nice.
Very limited number of effects – there are only 4 effect types per the 2 effect banks, and you can only use 1 type per effect bank at any given time.
Limited effects options - there really aren't many different effects available, but the major ones are there.

DigiTech RP350

Pros:

The tone is smooth[er] – I found the tone of this unit to be smoother than the Line 6 Floor POD. However, it wasn’t as in your face…it seemed much flatter (however, I didn’t play with any EQ settings). It’s less digital sounding without having to do any tweaks, however it didn’t really portray any “tube” essence.
Tuner foot access – it’s very nice to be able to access the tuner via footswitches, however, see my comment on that in the “Cons” section.
Stomp box models for overdrive/distortion – quite a nice feature, which the Line 6 Floor POD does not have. This essentially allows you to not have to use any amp models if you’re playing into your amp, which I think is a great feature.
Tons of amp models/effects – with this unit you get a multitude of effects and amp models, many more than with the Line 6 Floor POD.
USB – a USB connection on this unit makes it possible to connect it to a PC for patch editing and direct recording. This is certainly a nice feature to have.

Cons:

Flat[er] sound – like I mentioned above, the default settings for this unit give the output a flat sound. It’s not bold, and in your face like the Line 6 Floor POD.
Bypass/Tuner operation – this is one of my biggest gripes with this unit. In order to either put the unit in bypass mode or into tuner mode, you need to step on the up/down pedals (both at the same time). While this might seem like an easy task, if you don’t hit them both exactly at the same time, you won’t get into the bypass/tuner mode. Instead, you’ll start scrolling madly through all the presets. This was a HUGE disappointment for me. I’d rather have to bend down and push the button on the front of the Line 6 Floor POD to tune than dealing with trying to get into DigiTech’s tuner mode.
Not full metal construction – most of the unit is constructed of heavy duty metal, except for the foot switches! The foot switches are just plastic. They seem like they wouldn’t hold up to every day abuse nearly as well as the Line 6 Floor POD pedals.
No tap tempo? – I couldn’t for the life of me find any tap tempo mode on this unit…I apologize if it’s there and I missed it.
Still somewhat limited on types of effects you can use simultaneously - unfortunately, as with every multi-effects unit I've ever used, you can't use 2 stomp box distortion/overdrives together, etc.

Overall, I’m not really sure if I would choose either unit, since they both have their flaws. However, for $200 I really shouldn’t expect either one of them to be perfect.

Choosing the Line 6 Floor POD would leave me possibly (depending on if it can get tweaked out) a harsher, more “digital” sound.

Choosing the DigiTech RP350 would leave me possibly (depending on if it can get tweaked in) a flatter, less in your face sound. I would probably also hate the bypass/tuner operation.

With that said, if I had to choose one of these two units right now, I would choose the Line 6 Floor POD for its construction quality, fuller tone, and easier (although theoretically less user friendly) tuner/tap tempo access.

• Members

Thanks for the review/comparison dwerlin.

You'll never have a "tube sound/feel" out of a unit that does not have any tubes, that's impossible.

Where the RP350 really shines in my opinion, is through a real tube amp (direct or effects loop). I run it through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and can tell you that the sound and response of the RP350 is simply amazing.

I've owned several Digitech multi-effect through the years and this one is by far the best sounding, even over the GNX units IMHO.

I agree accessing the tuner/bypass mode is a pain. As you've mentioned for $200 the RP350 offers incredible value, even as a backup unit in case your main rig goes down. Or just to have fun and play through headphones at 2am.

• Members

Oh I'm not sure what the right answer would be with the RP250? If you find yourself running this type of setup very frequently, I'd consider upgrading to the RP350. That way you could run the XLR out "mixer" setting to the PA, then run the 1/4" out "amp" setting to you Laney.

• Members

So, I was thinking...

The RP250 has some sort of MIDI control/feedback... since it shows up as an available MIDI device in "Sound and Audio Device Properties" on my XP-based desktop (via the USB).

I've also got a MIDI keyboard connected to that system, via the old joystick/MIDI connector.

So, I can use the keyboard to control or playback lots of cool stuff including drums and bass lines, along with the 100+ other sounds banks, and I can use software to trigger changes in the keyboard at times via the MIDI (or vice versa, change a drum pattern/add a fill).

I'm wondering if anyone has done any MIDI tinkering (or if Digitech is reading), does the RP250 accept MIDI commands? For example, I have a MIDI track I'm jamming along with and at the right time the RP250 changes effect settings to handle something different at the appropriate time in the performace based on the MIDI playback.

I could design a MIDI performance with the keyboard and PC software, flag control points in MIDI software and have those MIDI triggers change the RP250 at opportune times during play, I wouldn't have to fiddle with the RP250 in real-time to change the sounds that I need at the right places.

For example, at a chorus, I might need to kick on some funky effect, the turn it off when I get back to the verse. I know I could program the RP250 to have the two settings side by side, and stomp it on, stomp it off.

But it seems as long as MIDI is involved there are more options.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueler? Anyone?

• Members

Hi, arfarf

just got my hands on an rp-150 and hooked it up to the pc via usb.

yes there is midi but it's not midi cc's or note values or program changes ...

its all system exclusive!

So unless your want to do a lot! (stacks heaps etc) of work then its no go.

Using Midiox for example the following is returned

TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT
Opened MIDI Output
Closed MIDI Output
Opened MIDI Input
Opened MIDI Output
00002701 10 1 F0 Buffer: 15 Bytes System Exclusive
SYSX: F0 00 00 10 00 5E 01 41 20 03 45 0E 63 05 F7

(disconnect input port from output port & run x-edit first , then quit it)

Sending these commands back to the Rp-150 makes the display change but does not end up changing the settings , don't know why?

Any i've kicked the ball off .... but there may not be much point anyhow.

A vst plugin to control the rp 150 / 250 / 350 would be fun though.

Overall my impression of the unit is good sounding .... clarity not foggy
but the high gain sounds mainly are terrible or at least the presets are.

very usable clean and slightly overdriven sounds good reverbs and chorus
some of the amp models and cabs are ok too.

very easy to use though , and recording is exactly as required.....

now how does that compare to Line6 Podxt ? can anyone tell me

i read somewhere that the korg / vox units are quit good too.

Alright

Big Jimbeamer

Archived