DigiTech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor

• Members
Originally posted by telemike

How are the distortion stomp boxes on the RP2520? I am thinking of using it mainly for using the 808 and other stomps with reverb into my amp. Then other presets for chorus and rotary/.

Based on this thread, I decided to go to the local GC and try one out as I have an infant son in the room next to "the studio" and I need a small portable headphone capable system for downstairs.

Using a Mexican Strat, the unit was plugged into a Marshall Solid State half stack with all tone controls set to 12 o'clock and the clean channel gain at 10 o'clock. I can confirm that the bypass in this unit is very good as I did a bypass vs. guitar straight to amp test and I did not notice any difference in tone (granted GC is not the best lab for such tests). All other effects on the unit were bypassed.

Stomp box model impressions are as follows:

TS9 - I have a TS9 reissue I bought a few years back and am very familiar with its tone and this is a darn good emulation. I think there is slightly more gain than available in the actual pedal. Very smooth with that signature mid range bump. Considering TS9's are around $100 dollars, you've already almost justified the price of the unit.

RAT - Had one for many years and have missed it since I sold it. This really brought back some memories. Another very nice emulation. With the gain pegged, total 80's shred. Backed down to 60%, nice smooth and singing. Very nice. Coupled with the TS9 model, the unit's price is already justified.

DS1 - Never really liked this pedal, always seemed harsh and I couldn't ever get it dialed to a usable sound. The model sounds a little tighter in the lows than the original and the highs sound smoother to me, but overall I probably wouldn't use this setting. Would have preferred one of the Boss OD's or the BD2 instead of this model.

Big Muff - Another pedal I couldn't ever get into. Same flabby low end and harsh highs that I remember. Good emulation, just not my bag.

Fuzz - I've had a couple different fuzzes over the years including an Arbiter reissue. This has much more gain on tap than what I remember and less definition. Not a bad fuzz tone, but I've heard better.

I'm not familiar with the rest of the OD/Dist boxes so I can't comment on their accuracy, but most of them sound pretty good. Overall, the unit did sound a bit thin on the "heavy" settings but those would get the least usage (if any) from me and there is EQ on tap which might beef the tone up considerably. Also, remember I was using a strat and can't comment on the "warmth" of the amp I was using.

From a modulation standpoint, it's pretty stanard of Digitech's quality which is very high in my opinion. The Chorus, Detune, Rotary, and Trem all sounded great. Also of note, the digital tracking for octave stuff is good, much better than the Boss Octave pedal I have with less artifacts.

I'm going to go back with a pair of headphones and test the unit further to see what the amp modeling has to offer.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You can use any 9-volt adapter as long as it matches the requirements: 1.3A output, and the proper polarity and size of the plug (the polarity is not shown, either on the power supply, the unit, or the manual). Or you could splice an extension wire in between, which is inelegant but does the job. Just make sure you use the same gauge as the existing cord.

• Members

Great thread!! I have an older RP200 and while I like some things about it- effects and very easy to use interface are excellent- the amp tones are pretty cold and sterile, especially the OD models. Also, the unit robs my guits of their overall character, which is not a good thing. However, I'm really intrigued by the newer RP's- if the tones are as good as advertised, I'll be picking one up.

• Members

I have what may be a stupid question, if so forgive me and answer anyway please. Can this thing replace my guitar port? In other words, can I plug this into my computer, without plugging in an amp and still play and have the different sounds come out of my computer speakers?

I play mostly at home and this seems much more versatile than my guitar port and I would rather not get out my amp every time I want to play.

Would I need special editing software or hardware?

Thanks!

• Members

The short answer is yes, you could replace the Guitarport with the RP250.

The long answer involves how you get the sound to your computer speakers - either using USB which may have too much of a delay, or plugging the RP250 analog line outs into your sound card line input.

I don't have a Guitarport but I vaguely remember it working the same way. You can record via USB and monitor via the line outs to avoid the USB latency.

• Members
Originally posted by Jake West

Here are some things I don’t like about it:

1) Effect combinations do have limitations. For example, you can have 1 distortion +1 chorus + 1 delay; but you can’t have, for example, 1 chorus + 1 phaser + 1 tremolo or 1 uni-vibe + 1 rotary. This is because phaser, univibe, rotary, ect, fall under the “Chorus/Fx” row, of which you can choose only 1 per “effect chain”.

Hi, i'm italian. I would buy the rp350 but here (in Italy) it will be in the shop only from 10 January 2007.

I would know from the experts if the quoted part written by Jake West is true. Is it true that i can't use, for example, 2 distortion at the same time OR , for example, 1 chorus + 1 octaver at the same time??

This is a very bad thing, in my opinion.
I wait your answer. Thank you.

• Members
Originally posted by bimbolercio

I would know from the experts if the quoted part written by Jake West is true. Is it true that i can't use, for example, 2 distortion at the same time OR , for example, 1 chorus + 1 octaver at the same time??

That's true. Look again at the interface on the first page of this thread, and you'll see that you can only have 1 distortion or 1 modulation effect (chorus, octaver, flanger, etc.) per stage, or module. So you can't have 2 distortions, but you could have octaver/delay/reverb, but not octaver + chorus, because they occupy the same stage.

But for the price, and considering you get USB recording, a drum machine, and a built-in expression pedal, it's still a pretty good deal.

Caio e in bocca al lupo!

• Members

Well I bought one based on this review and I am pretty happy with it. However I wonder if someone here could tell me if I have a problem with mine. When I plug it in to the computer via the USB I cannot get any output to my computer speakers, not even from movies, mp3's, anything.

Once the PR250 is plugged in, all sound output on the computer can be heard from the headphones plugged into the RP, but nothing from my computer speakers.

Is this how it is designed? I guess I'll have to try to find a way to direct connect some computer speakers to the line outs of the RP250. I wonder if the speaker line outputs from the PR250 are compatable with computer powered speakers? (obviously I will need a 1/4 adapter at the least)

The unit is really a lot of fun to play with and the sounds (at least through my headphones) are really, really good.

• Members

When the RP is plugged in, some computers automatically set it as the default sound card. To change this after it is plugged in:
Go to "Control Panel".
Go to "Sounds and Audio Devices".
Select the "Audio" tab.
Under "Sound playback" select the soundcard you want to route the audio to as the default device.
Click OK.

This should route audio output to your soundcard and you should be able to hear the audio through your monitors.

• Members

Hello,

I'm a complete newbie in every sense of the word. I just wanted to say that this thread by far has the best information on the RP250. I researched it before I bought one this December with my first electric guitar. I knew I needed one because I'm a tech head on a budget and knew that a good multi-effects pedal would give me countless hours of fun and entertainment as well as would save a ton of money on effects pedals.

After reading this thread, I decided to download X-edit, update my RP250, and play with the computer interface a bit. I was amazed at the number of controls this pedal has to offer. I spent an hour playing with the noisegate settings alone. I know you can do this with the dials of the RP250 directly, but it's hidden in the matrix and hard to figure out. With X-edit, every setting is right there looking at you and it's very easy to figure out the differences between all the presets.

One note about updating, I applied the update and upgraded the RP250 from ver 1.5 to 1.7. I followed the directions and ended up with frozen device even after power cycling numerous times. To get it unfrozen, I had to do a factory reset by turning the device on with the STORE button held down. When it says FACTREST (or something to that effect), you let go of the STORE button and it'll start flashing. Then you press and hold the STORE button again and the redout will say "RESTORED", and you'll have a reset RP250 with it's factory settings restored.

Just wanted to let you guys know because you have to update before running X-Edit2, and it may result in you having to loose all your custom presets or "patches". So update before you do too much to it.

Anyway, thanks for such an informative thread, I now know that I made the right choice :)

• Members

Yes, a factory reset is required after performing the 1.7 upgrade. Hopefully you backed up your custom setting first, than all you have to do is restore them. Works straight away. It's in the instructions on how to perform the upgrade.

BTW, you a member of the RP250 forum on the Digitech site? Could always use some fresh blood over there -