Yamaha Motif XS6 Synth - Now with Conclusions, and Motif XF "Coda"

Anderton

• Members

The newest Yamaha USB driver supports the Motif XS because we ( and many other XS users) have it setup and running.

Not sure why you had a problem.

Did you get the Windows Hardware Wizard to appear ? You need to run the new hardware wizard then manually point the Wizard to the folder with the Yamaha USB driver in it.

Once the Hardware Wizard has been completed successfully you should be all set.

As you test a lot of gear is it possible you have exceeded the number of Windows registry entries that are possible ?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The newest Yamaha USB driver supports the Motif XS because we ( and many other XS users) have it setup and running.

Not sure why you had a problem.

Did you get the Windows Hardware Wizard to appear ? You need to run the new hardware wizard then manually point the Wizard to the folder with the Yamaha USB driver in it.

Yes, the hardware wizard appeared, and I manually pointed the wizard to the folder with the Yamaha USB driver in it.

As you test a lot of gear is it possible you have exceeded the number of Windows registry entries that are possible ?

That's entirely possible...any suggestions on how to cure this particular problem? Is there some document on the web you can point me to?

Meanwhile, I'll try installing on some other machines. If they work, then I bet your "registry overload" theory is correct.

• Members

Athan, you're good :)

I installed the USB driver on my notebook computer, which only has installed a few interfaces during its lifetime, and everything is working perfectly...just as expected.

Just to check it out, I called up Sonar to see if the Motif XS6 could do the controller thing, and it worked like a champ.

So...obviously the problem is at this end. I'll do a little googling and see if I can get my music computer up to speed.

Thanks for the help! The controller function rocks, FYI. One thing I noticed with Sonar's WAI ("Where Am I") function and the Motif XS6 is that Yamaha went one step further than most other companies. For those not familiar with WAI, it allows using a, say, 8-channel control surface with more than 8 tracks by letting you drag a bar next to any 8 consecutive channels. For example, you can use 8 faders to control tracks 1-8, 9-16, 5-12, etc.

What the Yamaha software does that's cool is that it shows the control number in the XS6 next to the track number in Sonar, so if you are controlling (for example) tracks 5-12, next to 5 you'll see 1, next to 6 you'll see 2, etc. This makes it really easy to correlate the XS6 control surface controls to the tracks in Sonar.

FWIW, the more I work with the XS6, the more impressed I become with the overall level of, for lack of a better term, "professionalism." The display has a lot to do with that, as it displays lots of information without being cryptic, and even the web site makes things really clear. Good job.

EDIT: I thought it would be clearer to add a picture. The WAI strip is blue, and shows that Sonar tracks 6-13 are being controlled. But note the little numbers in the WAI strip: they correspond to the XS6 "channels."

• Members

This is really cool. Athan mentioned that the communication is bi-directional, with respect to the editor, but that's also true in remote mode. When you do something like name a track in Sonar, the name shows up on the XS6 display as well. There's also some intelligence: For example, you can't dial in EQ settings for the MIDI channels, because, well, MIDI data doesn't get EQed. Data changes are bi-directional as well; tweaks on either Sonar or the XS6 show up in each other's displays.

I really like the fact that you can use the XS6 navigation buttons to choose parameters, and being able to adjust parameter values with the data wheel is extremely precise -- much more so than using the typical faders in a control surface.

I don't want to get too hung up on the remote elements right now, as we haven't even gotten into the sounds yet! But this is in response to the question about "missing features" when not using Cubase. I'm impressed with the Sonar implementation, it's clear Yamaha isn't "crippling" usage with other hosts -- it's just that when you're using Cubase, there's the opportunity for tighter integration (as Athan pointed out) regarding things like song transfers.

For the record, although the manual says that the XS6 remote function works with Sonar 5.2, I'm testing it with 6.2, no problems. There are also remote functions for Logic 7.2.1 and Digital Performer 5.1 as well as Cubase 4/Cubase Studio 4/Cubase AI 4.

• Members

Well, I followed the directions in the previous reference, deleted two MIDI registry entries that appeared to be duplicates, rebooted, and...yup, it's all working now! Thanks for the tip, Athan. It just may help some other people as well.

Tonight is ending on a much better note than last night :)

• Members

The protocol for the XS remote is basically like Mackie control so if Live supports that it may work, but has not be tested by Yamaha.

The only thing that is available for third party Pro Tools control is HUI which has not be updated recently and is ....... well not very elegant, to put it nicely.

BTW, the registry limitation is a common problem for people and it is good to let people know how to solve the issue which is a Windows limitation and not an issue with Yamaha USB:love: driver at all as you pointed out.

You have a great deal of patience because most people can't wait to dive into the sounds and performances on the XS !

• Members

You have a great deal of patience because most people can't wait to dive into the sounds and performances on the XS !

Just because I haven't covered the sounds yet doesn't mean I haven't been playing with them :) But frankly, it's not like Yamaha has to prove itself about its sounds...and the computer/integration/networking capabilities are something that set the Motif XS apart. I was concerned that if I said "Hey, the clavs sound really good!" the reaction would be "yeah, okay, but what about this Cubase AI thing?!?"

I figured once I got the whole computer communication thing squared away (thanks again, Athan), then we could get into the more standard stuff.

But there are so many aspects to the XS it's going to be hard not to jump around a bit anyway....

• Members

Major Kudos to both Anderton and Athan Billias. Very nice to have someone from Yamaha giving us a view from the "horses mouth".

Anderton your recent network adventure has given me the reassurance that I was hoping for. Thanks for taking that diversion. Yamaha has really done their homework. This board is going to be a worthy addition to the line.

As a someone who was so impressed with the Mo6 (enough to make it my "board name") I am looking forward to purchasing the XS. Since I have some experience with integrating the Mo with Logic, I have no doubt that the XS will have no troubles in this area.

As for the remote control feature, this is also a feature that is well implemented already. If your DAW works with a Mackie control and you do not have a control surface already, you will be amazed at just how much you can do right from the synth.

The communication with the editor as Athan has pointed out is a dream since it is truly is a two way system and it is SO nice to edit on the computer screen and have it reflected instantly in the sound on the board.

Knowing the reactions I have recieved from the sound of my board, I am sure that the sounds of the XS will be killer.

Thanks, Anderton, Athan and Yamaha.

Yamaha you have figured out how to keep me a fan of the best synth out there in my opinion, take a DEEP board and make it DEEPER!

• Members

Bottom line.

Should I buy an XS & is it really worth that amount of money?

Of course my music is very important to me.:)

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Keyboard+And+MIDI/product/Yamaha/Motif+XS8/10/1

^

This has given me second thoughts. One guy is as happy as Larry & the other is

peed off.

YOur thought's would be a great help as this is loads of dosh.lol

• Members

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Keyboard+And+MIDI/product/Yamaha/Motif+XS8/10/1

^

This has given me second thoughts. One guy is as happy as Larry & the other is

peed off.

YOur thought's would be a great help as this is loads of dosh.lol

Well the Pro Review concept is to give my thoughts, but also allow others to contribute their opinions. As to the two diametrically opposed user reviews, I do have some comments on the negative review.

It's true that the display angle is not adjustable, but I wonder if the reviewer realized there's a contrast control on the back. Because I have the XS6 set up on an office desk rather than a keyboard stand to make it easier to post in the Pro Review, it's quite high..about the level of my sternum. By adjusting the contrast I have no problems reading the display, although one with an adjustable angle would be nicer.

As to the sequencer, I haven't gotten to that...the user reviewer is also upset that the XS6 seems designed to serve as a front end for sequencers as well as a keyboard (not just Cubase, he got that wrong), but frankly, that's one of the things i like about the XS6...having sequencer control right on the keyboard, and a control surface, makes for a more ergonomic package.

Regarding screen redraws...:idea:

...hold on a few minutes...I'll be back....:idea:

• Members

So I made a little video of the screen redraws you can download, so you can decide for yourself whether it's fast enough. I hit the buttons real hard so you can hear where the changes were initiated (and didn't break the buttons, either). :)

For the first four changes, i chose what was pretty much the four slowest redraw situations I could find. The second group of four are more like what you'd expect. If screen is just refreshing text, the changeover is pretty much instantaneous. If there's extensive redrawing of graphical elements, it takes a little longer.

I've included both a WMV and MOV movie, however, the "fidelity" of the WMV is far superior...as a side note, it seems Windows Media works much better than QuickTime if you need to create super-compressed files.

By the way...if your computer only lets you download the file as attachment.php, go ahead and download it, then change the file name to a .MOV or .WMV suffix, depending on which one youd ownloaded.

• Members

It's not that bad at all really. I could live with that.:wave: Thank you.

The only other question I have is.

I've heard the song demos (done by sound designers) but what I'd like to hear is just a normal person's attempts. I don't mean for that to come of how it sounds.

Could you demo some of your own user presets?

Of course the big question is the orchestral sounds. There is only one song I can find & I'd love to hear more.

A....You are the man & thanks so much for you report & care.:thu:

Errr... Sorry to ask.

Your Mr...OMG!!!!

Cough....er....please to meet you sir.:) Wow.

P.s your gnx4 book has really helped me.:wave:

• Members

Before getting into the sounds, I figured I'd try one more experiment. I set up Live for Mackie Control, and the XS6 works with it. The only glitch I've found so far is that the panpots don't cover their full travel when adjusted from the XS6 - they only cover from about the 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock position. But one very cool feature is that you can use the data wheel to select different scenes. :thu:

Also, lots of the other buttons (for OK, Cancel, selecting draw mode, etc.) work as well. I'm eager to get to the sounds so I'm not going to check out every button and control, but while Live is not "officially" supported, it does indeed work to some extent.

• Members

Okay...the following posts have a bunch of audio examples. Most of them are based on performances containing multiple sounds, and use arpeggiation to good effect, with my playing on top of the background riffs.

This not only shows off the "backup band" aspect of the performances, but it's an easy way to show off lots of sounds at once. For example, pay attention to the drums, which are pretty hip and different for the various performances. Incidentally, these are all factory preset performances and really, I just kinda stepped through them...there's so much more than this, but at least you'll get a taste.

As to how these were recorded, I just played them in real time...no fancy MIDI editing or anything, recorded the results, and trimmed 'em down to about 30 seconds so they'd fit the BBS's current limitation of 400k MP3 files. This also means I had to cut them at 96kbps, so the highs don't really do the Motif XS6 justice, but they're definitely good enough to give you some idea of what this board can do.

• Members

The "Rock of the 80s" performance features a wa-wa guitar solo over drums, bass, and rhythm guitar. The trill effects are from working the ribbon controller; the rest of the pitch changes are from the pitch wheel.

"Body Pumping" is more of a fusion-oriented piece. It also has a really cool guitar sound. Incidentally, those harmonic effects are not something I had to add; they're built in to the patch.

"80s Young Gun" should probably be called "Hair Band Meets Van Halen." This has arpeggiated drums, bass, and rhythm guitar; I played the OB8-ish keyboard part over it.

• Members

"East Sider" really makes me wish the bit rate was higher, the high end on the XS6 is great and it doesn't come through here. Check out the almost Kraftwerk-like lead line, reminds me of the sound in "Neon Lights" (then again, there always was a connection between Kraftwerk and hip hop).

"Coastal" has a pretty typical rhythm section, with a funky little guitar part and a sort of "flute filigree" going on over it.

I couldn't resist putting an Eminem-type clav/harpsi part in the "Hip Hop Girl" performance. It wouldn't surprise me if you hear some of these XS6 performances lifted direct into commercials and who knows, maybe even some hit records.

BTW if anyone wants some higher-res versions of particular sounds, let me know. I can run them in mono and use shorter examples to keep the bit rate up.

• Members

The XS6 is excellent at creating long, evocative sounds that evolve over time. I call this "cinematic" for reasons you'll understand when you listen to the files :)

"Abyss of the Sea" is taken from about 2 minutes of playing, and it never repeated itself. The original had a whole bunch of atonal swells, you can get a hint of that at the very beginning. Then a sequenced section kicks in...this is all very visual stuff IMHO.

"Semi Finale" has tympani, so how can you go wrong? This file is also a great example of how the MP3 format murders lows as well as highs. :( You'll also hear some of the XS6 string sounds in the process.

• Members

These are sort of chill/new agey performances, but don't let that put you off, the sounds are still cool :)

"Chilln Keys" has a really nice keyboard sound, part piano, part something else layered in the background (haven't quite figured out what). Notice how the character of the drums is quite different from what we've heard before.

"Dark Continent" is, I suspect, an homage to Toto's "Africa" period. Again, nice keyboard sounds, particularly the pseudo-analog synths; the drums are very straightforward and effective.

"Motif XSperience" is what comes up when you turn on the XS6. I like the sort of Kraftwerk-meets-world music vibe. Note the bass, there are some really solid bass sounds on the XS6.

Archived