STEINBERG MR816csx Interface and CC121 Controller - now with conclusions

Anderton

• Members

Well, it looks like Craig has checked out for a bit. Hopefully the review gets completed before the unit is due back.

Yeah, I was in France but I'm back now. :)

What exactly needs to be completed? I thought things were pretty much either covered by me, or answered by Brian...as to your two remaining questions below, I'm not privy to whether certain features will be added in the future (that's up to Steinberg to divulge or not, as they see fit). And regarding the master, if I have a master control I would want it to control everything so this doesn't particularly bother me, especially because there are other places to change levels in both hardware and software.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

#60:

And regarding the master, if I have a master control I would want it to control everything so this doesn't particularly bother me, especially because there are other places to change levels in both hardware and software.

Sorry for being dense, but I don't see a method to increase the gain on outputs 1+2 at the same time using hardware, without affecting the other outputs. Can you please help me out here?

Cheers ~ jp :thu:

• Members

#60:

#61:

Well... even though the issues related to digital i/o are clearly stated in the manual and were addressed by Brian, judging by the comment you made in post #61 I thought you were going to report on your experience concerning digital i/o. Having the "real world" usage often reveals very important information... i.e. even though there are clear instruction on installing the drivers, you've shown that exceptions do occur. It's nice to have your experience with the important aspects of the device... don't you feel that bridging the MR816 with the digital domain qualifies as an important one?

Sorry for being dense, but I don't see a method to increase the gain on outputs 1+2 at the same time using hardware, without affecting the other outputs. Can you please help me out here?

Cheers ~ jp
:thu:

Actually I did try the SPDIF after that post, not specifically as part of this review but in terms of feeding in a signal from a guitar processor. It worked as expected and didn't do anything unusual so I didn't think to post a follow-up, but suffice it to say it works.

As to the output thing, you're not dense, I wasn't very clear...by hardware I meant any external hardware, like amp gain controls, not hardware within the MR816.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

To offer a response. In the current state, you are correct that you the Editor does not show independent control of the individual outputs, However, these can be considered to be controlled when pairing - in a peer to peer sence - the inputs to outputs.

i.e.

IN 1/2

I will investigate the options further.

Have a great holiday to all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm afraid to say that I hit an aspect of this device (the drivers actually) that drove the nail into the casket...

All three have been exchanged for a lynx aurora / dedicated pre's...

I had no problem waiting around for the mere chance there ever exists a driver that allows direct monitoring of all three units simultaneously - without wasting the s/pdif io or giving up two channels of adat on each interface...

But the fact that the MR816 is not currently compatible with System Link...

:evil:

An THAT is what I was talking about when I asked if the digital I/O had been reviewed.

jp

• Members

But the fact that the MR816 is not currently compatible with System Link...

:evil:

An THAT is what I was talking about when I asked if the digital I/O had been reviewed.

jp

Okay, I wish you had been more specific - I thought you just wanted to know if the SPDIF worked. Although I'm not sure I could have answered it in a timely fasion, I don't have System Link set up and would have to get an MR816csx back from Steinberg in order to re-test.

• Members

Hi Anderton

My first post here - great stuff !

I am a Sonar 8.5.2 user and am very interested in the CC121.

With ACT 2.0, Sonar 8's controller learning ability is very good - I have manually mapped and configured a lot of differnent controllers and never had an issue

So ...... my question is .....

=> will Sonar's ACT functionality allow me to manually read and map the CC121 so it works with Sonar 8.5.2 ?

=> additionally / alternately, Sonar 8 has an MCU surface template built-in - does this potentially help out also in terms of getting Sonar and the CC121 to work together ?

In theory I cant see any reason why ACT in Sonar would not allow me to manually re-assign every knob / button on the CC121 so it can be customized to work with Sonar 8.5.2.

At the end of the day, I have assumed that despite the marketing, the CC121 is simply just another " dumb " midi controller that can be set up ( ? )

From your experience, can you please advise if you know of any reason that the CC121 cannot be configured and mapped to work in Sonar 8.5.2 ?

ie: is there some sort of " hardware block " that means the CC121 cannot be seen / learnt by Sonar at all / ever ?

Many thanks in advance,

Ben

• Members

I just want to rewind a bit, so we're all on the same page re: the master volume knob issue. You may already completely understand - but I just want to be sure!

Let's say I have 1, and only 1, interface in my studio and no monitor controller or headphone amp. It has multiple inputs and multiple outputs. At least one pair of the outputs will be feeding the main monitors. One or more pair of outputs may be feeding external gear, let's say I can't live without the beautiful 8-voice chorus from this guy...

rocktron-intellifex-ltd-effect-procesor-

Of course I want to control the volume of the signal being fed to the monitors, right? An actual knob that I can reach out and grab.

With this:

Fireface800-large.jpg

I just hook them up to the 9/10 outputs.

This one has that ability too:

FW810S-large.jpg

It also has a separate knob for the headphone signal. Looking at the front of the MR816, I was thinking it has the same ability. I can switch knob 1 between headphone and master. But lo and behold, master doesn't just affect 1 set of outputs. It affects them all... including the signal being sent to the Intellifex. Here is the text directly from the manual:

"Adjusts the master volume level output from the OUTPUT 1– 8 jacks on the rear panel."

Now sure... if you have an Avocet or some other passive attenuator lying around, who needs a master knob...? The people who are buying 1, and only 1, interface for recording.

Cheers ~ jp

• Members

Re the CC121 and Sonar: It has been returned, so I can't check it out in depth with Sonar. However, I do recall trying to use it as a general-purpose controller, and IIRC I wasn't that impressed...I don't think it's Mackie Control compatible, for example. In the section on the CC121, I mentioned that while it does generate MIDI controller messages and can be used with other programs, it comes into its own only when used with Cubase, and that if you wanted a general-purpose controller, there are less expensive alternatives.

It never occurred to me to try it with ACT because the CC121 is relatively costly compared to a "generic" general-purpose controller, and works so smoothly with Cubase.

Brian, is there a MIDI implementation sheet for the CC121 floating around somewhere so we can see which controls generate which controllers? Or, can a CC121 owner try it with some different programs and see what happens?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry for the late reply on the CC121 and Sonar question. Been a crazy couple months :)

The CC121 is for the most part a dedicated Cubase and or Nuendo 4.2 and later controller. We are currently discussing the possibility of opening up the general MIDI, but this has yet to be decided.

So, unfortunately, at this I do not think the CC121 will provide all you may hope. Wouldn't want to be non transparent about that :)

If I can be of any additional assistance, or would like to call my attention to a post/question (don't always get to check here) please offer me a heads up via email.

Thanks for all the support.

Archived