BreezSong JAMHUB -- Silent Rehearsal Studio ($300 - $700)

Jon Chappell

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just checking in to say that I used the JamHub this weekend, and am finding it a really good tool for transitioning from the the rehearsal to the live setting.

I practiced sitting around acoustically with a male and female vocalist rehearsing harmonies. I sang the low baritone (the hard one). The female sang lead, and the other guy sang the high harmony (tenor), which is fairly easy to hear. I'm the one that got stuck with the "leftover note" of whatever chord we were harmonizing.

The JH helps you with tuning by sending the sound through headphones directly into your ear canal; you're no longer relying on hearing the notes ambiently. While it's true you can do this with any mixer, the JH just makes it that much easier. For trouble spots, I turn my vocal part up slightly (the rest of the band doesn't have to know). When I'm secure with my part, I put the mic back down to where it should be for the house sound.

It's interesting what people's different settings are for the "house sound." You can tell this by peeking at other bandmembers' section settings. I can tell you this: they're all different from each other. And certainly a third party who objectively mixes the sound via the R section would have something different again.

• Members

How does an Acoustic/Electric plugged straight into the JamHub sound? I'm thinking this could be the perfect addition to my music room for the jam sessions I've started having with friends but some of the guys are strictly Acoustic/Electric players and don't have any modelers or DIs so they would be plugging straight into the JamHub.

If everyone is going to need some sort of modeling amp, ME processor, or DI to have a decent sound then I might be better off just getting a powered mixer and some small PA speakers.

-Kit

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kit_strong

View Post

How does an Acoustic/Electric plugged straight into the JamHub sound? I'm thinking this could be the perfect addition to my music room for the jam sessions I've started having with friends but some of the guys are strictly Acoustic/Electric players and don't have any modelers or DIs so they would be plugging straight into the JamHub.

If anything, an acoustic-electric sounds better than an electric, because you usually run these types of guitars fairly straight and flat. It's electrics that benefit from modeling and processing. The onboard f/x on the JamHub are available only through the XLR jack.

If everyone is going to need some sort of modeling amp, ME processor, or DI to have a decent sound then I might be better off just getting a powered mixer and some small PA speakers. -Kit

Kit, I think you might be confusing a JamHub with a mixer (powered or otherwise). They are not the same thing at all, and your statement above doesn't really make a direct comparison--it's an apples vs. oranges kind of thing (or almost a non sequitur). The JamHub gives everyone in the ensemble an individual mix and while allowing you to practice silently. A mixer--even one with a headphone distribution amp--doesn't come close to accomplishing the same thing.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Looks like we lost a post or two with the roll back.

There's a great "how to" if you are thinking of using JamHubs for an in-ear mixer for a House of Worship situation. You can read all about it here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4295715...7623825414457/

We didn't optimize the design for this purpose, but it looks like he's got a good idea.

We are also hearing back a LOT from studio owners who are using them for musicians to mix themselves in their headphones during recording. They put the JamHub "down stream" of the desks. Cool application as well.

Fun stuff. We learn something new everyday.

Steve

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JamHubSteve

View Post

Looks like we lost a post or two with the roll back.

Yes, we did, and I apologize for that. In addition to your link on the worship application, copied below is the other post with some useful info.

Posted by JamHubSteve on April 28, 2010:

"One more thing. We are getting a LOT of interest from "School of Rock" programs. If folks here in this thread would like to hear more about that application, please let me know and I can share what others are doing. One teacher told it to me something like this:

"Parents get that a sports team has individual skills development, team skills development and the game. I do the same thing with music now that I have the JamHub. I teach kids music on a variety of instruments, this is the individual skills development.

"Then I get them together to play with other musicians, guitar, bass and drums. This is the team skills development. I record each session on my Mac in garage band, with just two clicks, I can send an MP3 home to the kids and the parents. They both love it.

"Then 'game time' is a quarterly concert at a local VFW hall.

"JamHubs make this so much easier and the kids love it.

"I hope that helps,"

Steve

"Attached is a photo from another, similar type of private lesson setup. You can see the three young rockers and the teacher in the shot. And a computer capturing the recording. More kids making music and not playing an XBOX is a good thing if you ask me. I like XBOX, but I like music making more."

JHband.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi everyone,

We get this question all the time, "What about acoustic drums?" and we simply say "Yeah, a JamHub works great with them, but you don't get the 'silent' benefit of the system."

We decided that we needed to show people what we meant so we made this little video. All we did is mic the drums with a cheap little mixer, send that output (in stereo) to the JamHub and hook everyone else up with "normal" JamHub gear like modeling pedals, the keyboard's line out and a SansAmp for the bass.

The best part of this whole thing was the reaction of the drummer during their first take. He had never heard the band so clearly when playing (drums make a lot of "in your face" sound) and as they were rehearsing the drummer starts hooting and hollering ... literally going WOOOOOOO!!! and YEAAAHHH!! as he's playing.

The kids stop the song and he screams at the top of his lungs "I LOVE JAMHUB!!!" and the entire room erupts with laughter ... parents, me, my kids, the camera guy ... everyone. They were a great group of kids and very talented ... especially for their age.

Anyway, enjoy this video, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/user/HubHed#p/u/6/r9FQp3MWnNA

PS Thanks a TON to Pearl Drums and Zildjian Cymbals for the drum kit. We didn't own one as a company and the helped us out.

• Members

One more thing to mention, Jon, if this is considered "spam" please let me know and I'll delete it.

If anyone out there is going to NAMM on Sunday the "open to the public" day be sure to try any and all gear at the "Best Band U Never Heard" event. A bunch of companies got together to let you jam at NAMM. JamHubs are the center piece that allows it to happen without sonic chaos of three bands going at it all at once, and we are stoked to have so many great companies "putting us to work" at the booth. We'll do it gladly. We'll take all the help we can get Our goal is to let people play more, their goal is to make you sound great. It's a symbiotic relationship I guess. tongue.gifblah.gif

Anyway, here's a shot of the booth so that you get the idea, and you can find us at Booth 410 and the Best Band booth at 342. We've got all kinds of goodies to give away as well, D'Addario strings, Hal Leonard song books, Zildjian drum sticks, and more. Come by, play some music and have a good time (oh, and walk away with some goodies). thumb.gif I hope to see some of you there.

Steve

bestband_snamm_2010.png

• Members

Here's the other video I promised. For those of you who teach, or want to have a Jam Camp at your house, check this video out. Two bands, having a blast, 10 feet apart and not disturbing anyone.

These kids were great.

I don't know about you guys, but had my high school music teacher said, "Come learn The Beatles, Zeppelin and Van Halen," instead of handing me a sousaphone, I probably would have stayed after school every day. tongue.gif

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

For those of you looking for additional information on the JamHub studios in the August 2010 KEYBOARD magazine there is a nice article about using a JamHub. They also gave us a KEYBUY award. Thanks KEYBOARD. Sorry, there isn't a link to the article yet. I think they publish them online the month after the magazine is off the shelf. There is a good review at Premier guitar as well.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...us_Review.aspx

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell

View Post

jh_accessories.jpg

Note the colored plastic rings in the photo on the right, which are included in each box. You put these on the cable ends, and it helps color-code the inputs with the performer. A nice touch!

You see Jon, things like this appeal to the OCD in musicians like me. smile.gif I'm the gear guru in our band, and quite often get ribbed for color coding cables and individualized gear (such as mics, direct boxes, mic stands, etc). Folks like me have multiple rolls of colored vinyl tape, velcro cable straps and magnetic channel labels for the live mixer. We keep separate compartments in the cable box for XLR, 1/4" and speaker cables. We chastize our fellow band members who figure-8 their cables when everybody knows the prescribed method is to roll them!

For guys like me, the JamHub is a miracle sent from Heaven itself, and proves Intelligent Design is not necessarily the exclusive domain of the Gods! If yoiu have a set of e-drums, any room can become the practice room, because it can become the room it WAS within a few minutes after rehearsal is over.

Great review. I'm buying. Phil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TuMadre

View Post

For guys like me, the JamHub is a miracle sent from Heaven itself, ...

Thanks man, we appreciate the kind words. Be sure to post your results here on the forum. I'm sure many others are eager to hear about how it goes for you.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Cool, sounds like a low hassle means of having quiet rehearsals/performances with the added benefit of a personalized mix!

So- aren't acoustic/electric/bass guitar inputs a different impedance than keyboard inputs? I'm guessing your system is optimally designed for line level (which is what a keyboard and post fx pedal guitar gives you), esp. considering that on the instrument input there's no fx available.

And do keyboardists, do they need a direct box for optimal sound?

Kudos on your marketing and design sensibilities! The product looks invitingly simple and user friendly, and the ways you're promoting it is appealing as well.

• Members

Randyman,

Thanks for all the kind words. Andy the impedance is definitely tuned for line level devices, not a guitar/bass straight in. BUT, I will tell you that we have many a bass player who loves the sound of their bass straight into the JamHub preamps. Musicians are a funny lot.

For a keyboardists I'd suggest either coming straight out of the headphone jack, (you will be listening with headphones and often these outputs are optimized for headphone listening) or use the line level outs and a summing cable/splitter so the JamHub gets a TRS (stereo) signal.

We've heard some gear that sounds better to our ears with the line out and other gear that sounds better via the headphone out. Again, that's a subjective call for sure.

Thanks for the interest and I hope you'll give a JamHub a try someday soon. I think you'll find that it's an amazing tool to have in your musical toolbox. I played for 5 hours with my band on Sunday night without disturbing anyone in the house. It was loud and full and detailed and "studio like" in my headphones AND I walked away from it without ringing ears. Just try that with conventional rehearsal space. biggrin.gif

Have a great day,

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi gang,

Here's a cool application for jamming with a JamHub. These rock camps look like a lot of fun and man I wish I had access to this when I was a kid. I played sports with lots of kids, but I only jammed with a single band when I was a kid. Now, you can jam a ton with a lot of bands. Very cool.

http://www.youtube.com/hubhed#p/a/u/4/Rliz-pu6xaU

Keep playing,

Steve

PS If you own a music school, this is a very profitable endeavor. Email us at "info at JamHub dot com" and we'll share with you how it's done. The best part is that the teachers love it, the kids love it and the PARENTS really love it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I really think this is the invention of the year in music.

With onstage volume competitions being my main gripe with band playing - how about using the jamhub for your monitors(foldbacks) on stage?!

Perhaps there is a market for a jamhub with double faders for each unit so the voice and instrument of each player can also be adjusted individually by all the others..

Am I correct that the fifth player in the bedroom sits on R, and do electricl guitars need any preamping?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mirando

View Post

I really think this is the invention of the year in music.

With onstage volume competitions being my main gripe with band playing - how about using the jamhub for your monitors(foldbacks) on stage?!

Perhaps there is a market for a jamhub with double faders for each unit so the voice and instrument of each player can also be adjusted individually by all the others..

Am I correct that the fifth player in the bedroom sits on R, and do electricl guitars need any preamping?

Hi Mirando,

Thanks for the "invention of the year" comment. We really appreciate it. We have won a bunch of awards in our first year, but hearing it from our fellow musicians is way more satisfying.

You can use a JamHub for in-ear systems on stage. It works really well. You can also use it with powered monitors but that takes some clever cabling and grounding.

If you want more control over individual mixes, you can spread a player over two sections. In my band, most nights I use section one for my guitar and vocals and sometimes, when we are working on vocals sometimes I use section 1 and 2 for me.

You can use the R section just like any other section. It has the same number of inputs, outputs and controls. It is essentially section "5" on the BedRoom model and section "7" on the GreenRoom and TourBus models. We just named it "R" because it's on the rear of the unit and we want to encourage recording of the jams.

I hope that helps!

Steve

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've gotten a few PM's about using the JamHub with a DAW to record multi-track and live. Yes, it can be done quite easily. Simply split the signal before the DAW or after (if you have enough sends) and use the JamHub as your listening mixer (with a mix for each musician) and the audio IO for all the capturing of the tracks. We have plenty of customers using it that way and they all say the results are fantastic. It's really simple no matter if you need to capture 4 tracks or 8 tracks.

I hope that helps,

Steve

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hey gang, we've seen some cool schools using JamHubs to add rock music programs to their offerings. One of them said they are starting a "silent music revolution" with JamHubs at the core. Just visited a High School in Gahanna, OH, who is adding two full JamHub setups to their school thanks to the band Peligro 614 who won the School Jam USA battle of the high school bands contest. Great kids, great band, great time. If you are involved with a school and want your music program to add the most popular music and instruments to their program, check out http://www.JamHub.com/teach/index.html for stories and tools to make it easy.

Archived