M-Audio Axiom 49 MIDI Keyboard/Control Surface - Now with Conclusions

Anderton

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by vintagevibes

View Post

Any chance they are working on Direct Link for Sonar???

I have no idea. But, Cakewalk is owned in part by Roland, which makes controllers that work with Sonar, and M-Audio is owned by Avid, which makes Pro Tools - a competitor to Sonar. So, I don't know if anyone's in any hurry to make this happen...but I could be wrong. One hallmark of this industry is there's a greater amount of cooperation among competitors than I've seen in any other industry.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by vintagevibes

View Post

Thanks Craig. How hard is it to set it up without Direct Link?

Well...what is it exactly that you want to do? Use it as a control surface for a mixer? Control virtual instruments? It depends...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dekzan

View Post

Excellent review. Please, I'd like to know which keyboard sounds are available in th Axiom (pianos, organs, etc). I've done a vast search without luck. Thanks.

There are no sounds in the Axiom, this is a controller only for other sound generators. You would use it with software synthesizers, tone modules, software drum machines, as a control surface for a DAW's mixer, etc.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

Well...what is it exactly that you want to do? Use it as a control surface for a mixer? Control virtual instruments? It depends...

A little of both. I'd like to set up specific mixer channels/busses for the faders that would be used for ever project. ex: bass, drums, keys etc... I'd like to use the transport as well as specific VST's such as a UAD 88rs channel strip and perhaps a few other plugs. I'd also like to assign the buttons but I'm not sure what for yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Craig, Patrick, and all. Thanks for all the info. Its very helpful. I'm a Midi noob, and I'm an old fart which makes learning even slower. I apologize if some of what I ask should be intuitively obvious. I bought a first generation Axiom 49 over a year ago, and break it out to play with when time permits. I use Enigma, and interface with a Macbook. I have Native Instruments Komplete Collection with B4, Acoutisk Piano, Electrik Piano, Pro 53, etc. At present, I'm also just using Garage Band as a DAW. My interest is to do a little composing with these, and as use this for some keyboard fill during some live performances. I've figured out how to get them working very basically one at a time using Enigma, but when they load, the preset template isn't exactly what I'd like. I know there is capability to change sliders and switches, for example, but haven't found any tutorial or instructions as to where to go to learn this. Also, I was hoping I could make part of the keyboard B4 organ, and part Acoutisk Piano? Can I have these both resident at once? Not sure how to do that either? And finally, can anyone direct me to any support groups or sites where other users have created key/controller templates for these software instruments on the Axiom 49 (1st gen) that they share and I can download? Perhaps you or others reading this can provide some advice for me? Thanks in advance!

• 3 months later...
  • Members

hi guys,

i am a beginner when it comes to axiom pro, recently my friend got a axiom pro and he wants to know , is there anyway that we could add tones to axiom pro which we get in korg controllers or any other midi/ workstation keyboard inside their tone banks?

any possibility? or any alternative option?
my friend owns a axiom pro 61

please help me out...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Djpata View Post
hi guys,

i am a beginner when it comes to axiom pro, recently my friend got a axiom pro and he wants to know , is there anyway that we could add tones to axiom pro which we get in korg controllers or any other midi/ workstation keyboard inside their tone banks?

any possibility? or any alternative option?
my friend owns a axiom pro 61

please help me out...

The Axiom is a controller and is not intended to make sounds, but to control devices that do. These can be soft synths in a computer, or hardware tone modules that accept MIDI input.

Tone modules used to be very popular and common, but they are less so these days. You can probably find quite a few older ones on eBay, but some excellent ones are still being made, like the Roland Fantom-XR and Yamaha Motif-Rack XS.

• Members

Does anyone know of a software that will let me assign the controls on the oxygen 49 blue (3rd gen?) other than that Directlink? I'm running osx 10.3.9 and it's not supported. Enigma won't recognize this version of the oxygen keyboard.
I'm looking to be able to control sampletank2 and the minimoog V plug-ins in pro tools 6.9, so i want to send presets for those to my oxygen 49. Thanks!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Anderton View Post
But, being able to program minimum and maximum encoder values solved the problem neatly. This involves the same kind of programming moves described previously on programming the pads, and yes, it can be tedious – but this does become second-nature after a while, and you can always save a patch with your desired settings. In a nutshell, the control’s Data 2 parameter sets the minimum value, and the Data 3 parameter sets the maximum value. By setting this window for the exact range I wanted, not only was I able to create the kind of control changes I wanted, but they were spread over a entire control range, making for a sort of “high-resolution adjustment” effect.

I didn’t need to do any programming of the filter and fx parameters because the full encoder range worked well with them.
Great review! Having owned the original Axiom, I found the rotary encoder resolution too low. Let me explain. With encoder acceleration turned off, to go from 0 to 127 I had to turn the knobs through several full turns, whereas what I'd like to do is be able to achieve this by means of a 270° twist. The encoder acceleration never felt natural or intuitive for me, although I wonder if the new smooth (not notched) knobs will make the situation better.

Can you comment on the Axiom mk2 encoder resolution? Thanks!

• 9 months later...
  • Members

I haven't played with the pro version, nor the original. However, in researching for this review, I read a lot of reviews of the first gen models. It seems that several suggestions people had on how to improve the Axiom 49 were adopted for the second generation.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I recently picked up a basically-new Axiom 61 first gen for $60. No blue screeen or other issues. Pretty much new in the box. Works great for a few months now. I haven't figured out how to control the transport of my ancient MasterTracks Pro (which wants midi numbers), so I just set up a few of the drum pads to trigger that. Hit a pad, the sequencer plays. Hit another, and it stops, Hit another and it records. Hit another for back and for advance. Hahaha. Nice feel to the keys too.

Archived