Phonic Digital Mixer 16

Anderton

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sduff

View Post

This has been a great read, but wish there was some info on using this as an recording audio interface.

Anyone using this with Reaper?

What does and doesn't work with Reaper?

If not Reaper then what DAW are you using and how well does this integrate?

Does this work as a control surface? If so do you have to have both a firewire connection, audio, and a USB 2 connection, MCU/HUI midi commands? Or is everything tunneled in the firewire.

What Firewire motherboard chipset works.

If I have more then 16 tracks in a project can I "bank up" the channels and control another 16 tracks?

Can you apply the onboard effects to the channel as you record it, or do you have to feed it back into the mixer and apply?

Any feedback as a dedicated audio interface in a project studio anyone would care to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Duff

The Phonic acts as a basic audio interface, with the inputs appears as inputs within your DAW, and the DAW outputs can go back into the mixer for monitoring. As such I see no reason why it wouldn't work with Reaper, I tested it with Sonar and a couple other DAWs and it worked as advertised. As to FireWire chipsets, most companies recommend TI and I assume Phonic would do the same. That's what's in my system, and it works.

There are no control surface capabilities, there is no HUI or Mackie control option. It is strictly about audio. The main purpose I would see is live recording, as you could stream the tracks to a computer, and in the studio for doing something like recording a choir or drum kit where you're using multiple mics, and most interfaces don't have enough I/O for the job.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Mr. Anderton,

Thank you for such a quick response, it is very helpful.

I am still giving this mixer consideration for my project studio.

If no MCU or HUI then can you record and save things like per track volume evolutions within a scene?

If so then wouldn't I be able to create, name, and save a "scene" to match my DAW project, saving all settings, EQ, Comp, Gates, ect, and evolutions?

Then working on the project would be easy. Start it in the DAW and recall the scene in the mixer.

Agian, thank you for your time.

Duff

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sduff

View Post

Mr. Anderton,

Thank you for such a quick response, it is very helpful.

I am still giving this mixer consideration for my project studio.

If no MCU or HUI then can you record and save things like per track volume evolutions within a scene?

If so then wouldn't I be able to create, name, and save a "scene" to match my DAW project, saving all settings, EQ, Comp, Gates, ect, and evolutions?

Then working on the project would be easy. Start it in the DAW and recall the scene in the mixer.

Agian, thank you for your time.

Duff

You can indeed save scenes, but you cannot do moving automation with the faders...static only, like snapshot automation in a DAW. However, also note that there is no MIDI in so you could not, for example, add a program change within a DAW and have it switch scenes automatically. You would need to trigger any changes manually.

IIRC one cool feature is that you can exempt particular parameters from a scene. For example, if you were riding the vocal fader and wanted to change a scene, you could do so and have everything change except the vocal. I do have the mixer here and can confirm, but right now my test bench is being used to re-install software on my new computer smile.gif

Although the Phonic is well-suited to the studio, my take is that it's designed primarily for live use, with the ability to use it in the studio in several contexts as more of an added attraction.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by arzes

View Post

No info on the channel count Anderton or grant_phonic?

I'm not affiliated with Phonic and have no idea whether it's possible to implement a 17-32 layer. However, I don't see much value for live use as there are only 16 physical inputs...there's no place to put another 16 inputs, so you couldn't have 32 signal sources.

As to getting an answer out of Phonic, they've been quite good about responding to this thread, but remember that NAMM starts next week and Phonic will be there. So I suspect they're spending more time with the minutiae of customs declarations and trying to track down why things haven't shown up in Anaheim yet than reading forum posts smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by chadyred

View Post

Hi everybody,

i have this really good Digital mixer.

I try to update so i begin to put the 'files restore' the Driver first, I turn on my Summit, and SUMMIT icone block 5 minute it's normal. I shutdown the Mixer.

After that, i put the file 'PHONIC.Summit.ap' that i rename 'PHONIC.Summit', and it's the only one on the SD card (SD not SDHC) in FAT-32.

I restart and SUMMIT icone block 5 minute it's normal too but nothing happen.

I try without key it's the same thing : PHONIC red block.

I have test the last Update but firstly it must install the restorfiles to update the 9.12 dsp with the last update files

Have you ever had a similar problem ? How did you proceed to update the mixer ?

Thx.

EDIT : grrrr i hope i don't have freeze my PHONIC

I have the same problem! did you fix it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I would suggest potential buyers wait to see if the Summit (AKA S16) has any continuing firmware support. If not you'd have to factor into your buying decision that your IS16 will also become an "orphan" in a couple years. Both the Yamaha 01V96 and Presonus Studiolive have both a few years of continuing firmware upgrades history and large numbers in the field.

• Members

Your post got me curious, so I checked on updates and such. The Phonic Summit was introduced about two years ago. It had a general firmware update in March 2011, and simultaneous updates for FireWire and USB in May 2011 primarily for x86 and 64-bit compatibility with Windows.

The older Presonus StudioLive mixers have also had two updates, Universal Control software v1.2 followed by Universal Control version 1.5.3. These of course are significant updates in functionality, as they allow for iOS device control over the computer editor.

For the 0196V2, there was a firmware update in July 2008. For the 01V96VCM, there was a firmware update in March, 2010. However, both had a couple revisions to the companion software editor, including one for 64-bit operation with Windows.

So overall, it seems that unless a mixer was designed with "hooks" (e.g., the Presonus being designed for computer control, hence iPad control of the software), the number of updates to the mixer itself will be limited. The 01V96i is too new to have any firmware updates, but it's compatible with the Steinberg USB-MIDI driver, allowing for tight integration with Cubase.

My Panasonic DA7 had a similar history - a minor update, then a more major one that added functionality. I think the most important question is not what a mixer will do in the future, because that can't be predicted, but whether it solves what you need NOW and for the foreseeable future.

I don't know if there are any planned firmware updates for the Summit, so maybe Grant could let us know if there are, or whether it's considered a mature product.

• Members

Like the Summit, the Studiolive originally had shortcomings for live use but they did address those in firmware updates. I (kind of :-) have both so am constantly switching between them. It will be interesting to see if the IS16 addresses any of those and if some of that makes its way back into a (possibly last?) update for the Summit/S16. I'll have to see if a "real" manual for the IS16 exists yet? Mackie is getting into the digital mixer biz and there is rumored to be a new one from Yamaha coming out this year significantly different from the 01V96 but similar workflow? My point is that if Phonic wants to be serious about getting a share of the US live sound market they are going to have to step it up in both service and execution.

• Members

RoadRanger,

Thanks for the participation in the thread to let other know your product experience and for giving us feedback to make changes/improvements to our product. We're always looking for good marketing and technical talents so if you know anyone who would be interested in writing a more in-depth manual or other tutorial material, feel free to pm me here or email jobs@phonic.com.

Regards,

Caitlyn

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a little problem with my mixer Phonic.

I use Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 and I can't control de Recording Volume with my faders, only with te Gains.

How can I setup up my conection or DAW parameters so I can do that?

I have Bought recentrly the Mixer but do not know how to Setup up the FADERS RECORDING VOLUME CONTROL in SONAR 8 tracks.

Thanks

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ponchihantouche

View Post

I have a little problem with my mixer Phonic.

I use Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 and I can't control de Recording Volume with my faders, only with te Gains.

Not a problem - that's how it's supposed to work. The Summit cannot control your DAW - you can only record the raw inputs. You can also play back up to 16 channels though it and use the mixer to mix down to stereo but you'd normally not do that - you'd use your DAW to EQ/compress/add FX/mixdown/etc without any futher use of the Summit. Unfortunately you cannot record the output of the Summit via the USB/firewire so it is quite unlike a USB enabled analog mixer in this regard frown.gif . You'd need an AES/BDU interface card for your PC for that if you don't want the additional digital to analog to digital conversions of using an analog input on your PC.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger

View Post

Hey, stoopid question - is there a simple PC program that will just capture all 16 channels to disk without having to set up a project in a DAW? Presonus has "Capture" for the SL, I've not checked to see if that would work with a Summit...

You can "dumb down" pretty much any DAW to record 16 channels, and create a template that has only those channels already set up to the right I/O and all that...then just hit record. Someone was telling me they wished there was a DAW that was just a basic ADAT, so I set up a template in Sonar that looked just like an ADAT smile.gif

There are "lite" versions of programs that cost next to nothing (or are bundled - like PreSonus Studio One artist), or you could get Mixcraft, which is inexpensive but also includes some really nice plug-ins that aren't keyed solely to Mixcraft.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

You can "dumb down" pretty much any DAW to record 16 channels

Yes - but I was hoping for something less resource intensive AKA more stable. But then DAW's have come a long way and even the PC based ones are pretty stable these days as long as you don't try to use firewire freak.gif .

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by caitlyntw

View Post

RoadRanger, Thanks for the participation in the thread to let other know your product experience and for giving us feedback to make changes/improvements to our product. We're always looking for good marketing and technical talents so if you know anyone who would be interested in writing a more in-depth manual or other tutorial material, feel free to pm me here or email

You're welcome - and I PM'd you smile.gif . BTW is Grant still with you? It's been a couple weeks since we've seen anyone from Phonic on your forum frown.gif :

https://getsatisfaction.com/phonic

• Members

Hello friends of the forum ... he writes a 1-year student in audio engineering, Chile, first of all excuse my English but as it is write, write this message in my language (Spanish) and use the google translator to publish it.

I tell my story briefly.

about 1 year ago I started to amplify live bands in the neighborhood where I live, without any kind of knowledge and a mixer samson tmx20 that even I have, and did not understand much of amplification participate in a basic training in sound reinforcement, etc. .. and spent time with more knowledge in my head and I bought some very simple equipment and the reach of my salary (signal processors, EQ, etc), but this year I intend to grow, as I have done quite well, I began my studies engineering in sound and pretend my mixer renobar digital one and thought about the digital phonic mixer s16, to start as I have said and I read that it is quite easy to use, as already occupy roughly because I have studied the manual a few times and I draw much attention, but my question is if this mixer can leave something like "online" to use them as if they were a single 32-channel mixer ... series such as I live allen & heath attached image

good thanking this forum that has served me well, Hector greets them from the city of Santiago, Chile

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just had a "eureka" moment the other evening with my Summit... As I explained earlier in this thread, I have normally been tracking FireWire to MacBook Pro and also recording a 2 track backup to SDHC on a Denon DN-F650R hooked up via AES/EBU. Problem was, the lead guitar and vocals were always coming across too loud in the recorded mix, which must be that way for FOH mix to sound proper. The other guys in the band are always wanting to old-school it and hang a pair of mics out in the sweet spot, which there is nothing wrong with at all. However, THAT isn't what I was looking to accomplish. What I was looking to do is get a "studio" mix off the board during a live performance. The key was to patch 2 Multi-outs to XLR analog inputs on the Denon DN-F650R - that way I can adjust 2 aux sends to balance recording levels out without affecting the FOH mix. Viola. Why did I not think of it sooner?

I also use the Control Room output as my monitor mix to easily find and isolate feedback issues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by desertfox

View Post

Why did I not think of it sooner?

Maybe for the same reason it took me so long to realize the touch screen was the mixer, and the hardware was just there to support it!

In a lot of ways, the S16 was almost like the first iPad-based mixer...except it didn't use an iPad smile.gif

Archived