Avid Eleven Rack Guitar Processor/Computer Interface - Now with Conclusions

Anderton

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by avidgtrpm

View Post

I've got to admit, it's one of these things that looks mildly impressive on paper but when you hear it, it's awesome. We can't wait to get this out to you guys.

"Mildly impressive?" Hah - it looks AWESOME on paper, and I haven't even heard it. I haven't touched my amps or pedals since I first plugged into this thing about 5 months ago - been using it constantly both live and in the studio. In fact, I've started selling off my other gear because I'm tired of it sitting around doing nothing. Needless to say, this update sounds awesome and I'm greatly looking forward to it!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by avidgtrpm

View Post

Eleven Rack does come with Core Audio and ASIO drivers which will allow you to use Eleven Rack as your audio interface with other DAWs like Sonar. It's not going to be as 'advantaged' as when you use Eleven Rack with Pro Tools LE but no different than using any other 3rd party interface. I don't know how old your versions of Sonar and Windows are so I can't guarantee everything will work.

Actually there is one (potential major, depending on your workflow) problem with using DAWs other than PT: There is no way to mute the rig output to the Main XLR Outputs, so if you want to add extra VST plugins (such as say iface or recabinet for example) to the rig output and listen to that the rig output from Eleven Rack will be heard as well. If you use Protools it mutes the rig output on startup, none of the other DAWs do that.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

I finished the article that goes into more detail on the "fizz removal" process.

It includes the examples from this Pro Review, but also gives some additional tips about trimming high and low-frequency, as well as "dual notch" techniques illustrated with Native Instruments' Guitar Rig 4. If you found the fizz removal technique intriguing, I strongly suggest you read the article...it takes the concept to the next level, and has a ton of audio examples.

A quicker alternative to the EQ is to use an impulse-based VST, such as Recabinet or iFace + redwirez *after* the eleven rig input does wonders to the fizz and improves the overall sound a lot. The trick is that if you use a cab on the 11, but do not use the impulse plugin's wet signal 100%, leave it to say around 50% dry/wet instead. Give it a go, I was very surprised by the great tone I got.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MoonBoy

View Post

A quicker alternative to the EQ is to use an impulse-based VST, such as Recabinet or iFace + redwirez *after* the eleven rig input does wonders to the fizz and improves the overall sound a lot. The trick is that if you use a cab on the 11, but do not use the impulse plugin's wet signal 100%, leave it to say around 50% dry/wet instead. Give it a go, I was very surprised by the great tone I got.

Good tip, I actually tried the convolution cabinet in ReValver for the same reason and I can confirm what you observed. But, I find adding an additional cab alters the sound of the amp more than the parametric approach; the parametric lets you optimize the amp you've chosen rather than give a "different sound."

And some breaking news - I was talking to someone from Avid the other day, and I'll be getting the update as soon as it's available. I'll add a "coda" to this review as soon as I've had a chance to play with the update.

• Members

I just got the Eleven Rack expansion pack. I've played with it for a few hours now - HIGHLY recommend it thus far.

My favorite additions:

The J45 Amp (1965 Marshall JTM45) - I think "big and warm" describes this amp. Wow. In conjunction with the new DC Distortion pedal it SINGS for lead stuff. I threw a tiny bit of Multi-Chorus in after the cabinet for a little warmth and boy did it deliver.

I'm also loving the new speaker breakup feature - I used to push cabinets to the breaking point regularly to get the "breathing" thing happening (if you haven't tried doing this on a recording - TRY IT), and Avid is right on the money with their speaker breakup.

I'm totally excited about the 4-band parametric EQ but haven't tried it yet. I did notice it's all knobs though - the visually informative graph you get in Pro Tools inserts is missing, which is a bit disappointing, but I guess I can't have EVERYTHING I want.

I'll post more as I play more.

• Members

By the way, I had an odd hardware disconnect failure with my Eleven Rack - Hiro & co. handled the troubleshooting and repair spectacularly, and had it back to me super fast, good to go. I've been running it for about 6 days now with no problems at all.

Great customer service!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The flipping upgrade is super!! I could not put the guitar down. I just am having such a blast with the Matchless....well I have hardly even tried the others more than a quick dabble.....had to come back to the Matchless.

What was really cool too was the absolutely painless upgrade process, how it placed the Firmware updater on the desktop for me etc...... splendid!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I posted this over at the DUC but I thought I would add it here to see if anyone had an idea about how to proceed with this. I just obtained a Kurzweil PC88. I am running midi in and out to the eleven rack ( as this is my audio interface to computer and protools) and also running my L & R audio out lines from the board to audio inputs of 11R.

If I keep the midi cables hooked up, I will change the amp patch on the 11R when I make a change of the voice selection on the keyboard. If I remove the midi cable, I can run audio through the 11R to my monitors without changing and amp or other patches, but the audio seems to be running through whatever amp patch I have dialed into the 11R even though in the GUI I select fro line L/R in and not guitar?? I would think it would pass along the audio data straight to the monitors without going through he amp modeling stuff at all??

by the way it does work perfectly as a midi controller in ProTools or my Kontact4 Player from NI.

AM I missing something here?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Hay all... I've read most of this thread and kind of in a rough state on how to handle my situation.

I have a MBox2 Pro that I have configured to two stereo outs, one as a headphone mix bus. I just bought the Eleven Rack and love the sounds. Not being able to run it in my sessions defeats the reason I bought it. Outside of channeling the xlrs into the mbox inputs, is there any solution. I am using ProTools9. I wish the Eleven could be used as a secondary interface.

I am thinking that I may just need to unplug the Mbox from my Glyph drive during guitar work. Than work in the box,or Mbox in this case, to finish the mix and instrumentation. I have a monitoring system that has an extra stereo in that I can use for the Eleven outs during guitar work.

I have plans to setup 5.1. Probably with the 03 rack and bass management. I think this will be my only approach.

When they say bring the Eleven to studio to keep your sounds. This is meant as if you had amps set and you lose the features of editing your sounds in the box. I don't think many studios will be willing to re-rout monitors.

Please advise. I literally plugged this in an hour ago and found out it could not be incorporated into my current setup without jogging cables. I may have overlooked a possibility or simply am out to lunch.

Thanks.. This is an awesome forum

• Members

Assuming I understand your question correctly...why not just feed the Eleven S/PDIF out into the MBox S/PDIF in? This won't let you access the the Eleven Editor within Pro Tools, but if you need to edit, just hook the Eleven up with USB, select it as your interface, do your editing, then return to using it as a S/PDIF source for the MBox 2.

Would that solve the problem?

• Members

I found out that my auto update in Mac was not off and OX10.6.8 is not supported.. I got the Eleven to record through a PA type setup but .. Any direct recording through the USB will not let me activate record or play. When I switched over to Eleven in the engine, I received nothing but static noise and a faint signal. I am able to edit settings on screen, just not record. I fought this for six hours. Errrr.. I hope an update will come out to fix this soon.. Its my bad for not assuring the updater was disabled. I am not sure who to report this to, or if it will get addressed at some point.

I just went through all my plugins and software and thank goodness Eleven is the only victim. After I install my EastWest producers bundle, I am pulling the Mac off the internet. That will stop any future mishaps. I just bought this mac a few months ago and am finishing up my collections of samples. I planned to image the system drive as soon as I was done installing. It wasn't soon enough.

Thanks Craig

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by realitysnap

View Post

I found out that my auto update in Mac was not off and OX10.6.8 is not supported.. I got the Eleven to record through a PA type setup but .. Any direct recording through the USB will not let me activate record or play. When I switched over to Eleven in the engine, I received nothing but static noise and a faint signal. I am able to edit settings on screen, just not record. I fought this for six hours. Errrr.. I hope an update will come out to fix this soon.. Its my bad for not assuring the updater was disabled. I am not sure who to report this to, or if it will get addressed at some point.

I just went through all my plugins and software and thank goodness Eleven is the only victim. After I install my EastWest producers bundle, I am pulling the Mac off the internet. That will stop any future mishaps. I just bought this mac a few months ago and am finishing up my collections of samples. I planned to image the system drive as soon as I was done installing. It wasn't soon enough.

Thanks Craig

Very sorry to hear that. You don't mention what you're using with Eleven Rack, but if you have HD Native, you need to update to Pro Tools 9.0.4 and the newer HD Native firmware before updating to 10.6.8.

I think maybe your next move should be getting a big hard drive and enabling Time Machine...does anyone from Avid have any tips on getting Eleven Rack to work with OS X 10.6.8? Is a fix forthcoming?

• Members

I don't see a 9.0.4 for LE yet... I run Komplete 7, Vienna, EastWest, Logic 9, Waves platinum, and 11rack.. those are the big ones. Not sure if Native meant NI Komplete. I will shoot over to them and check on updates but should be OK I installed it two days ago..

Yes I have already a drive ordered for the TM and it gets here next week. Timing was bad on this stuff.

I do like the 11 so I am not returning it, as I trust this can and will be resolved at some point. Have not received Avid response, probably due to the holidays..

Thanks and most importantly have a great safe 4th...

• Members

Avid is pretty good at rolling with any punches sent their way from Cupertino smile.gif Hopefully someone will respond here after the holidays, if not I'll ping my contacts at Avid and see if they can shed any light on this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by travisswan

View Post

The new tuner response is great, by the way. I haven't used my Boss TU-2 since the firmware update.

I have the opposite results. This tuner is completely unusable for me. I have to use my TC Polytune stomp.

I have all the updates and the 11R tuner goes ALL OVER the place. Yes, I've tried all the work arounds like turning the tone off, using the front pickup, pluck the string lightly, etc. ( I shouldn't have to even try most of those things....my other tuners don't have a problem. ) It never settles down.

I showed it to a long time player friend and he agrees....it is frustrating to use.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi Craig, think digidesign will ever produce a driver for the eleven rack compatible with 64 bit windows seven on PC. I've received zero support, I've owned it for over a year and have yet to record a useful sound. Pretty cool modeling amp but the lack of support is underwhelming.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by grimbrewer

View Post

Hi Craig, think digidesign will ever produce a driver for the eleven rack compatible with 64 bit windows seven on PC. I've received zero support, I've owned it for over a year and have yet to record a useful sound. Pretty cool modeling amp but the lack of support is underwhelming.

Well...I've been using Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 9.0.3 on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine for months now, so I'm not sure why it's not working for you...it does all the I/O, the editing, everything. I just load the Eleven Rack recording template (or a blank session and load the Eleven Rack I/O), and I'm off and running. I'm using Eleven Rack driver 1.0.8, which is available from the Avid web site. I haven't tried updating to Pro Tools 9.0.5 yet but I guess that's my next step.

Also, it's not just because Pro Tools is a 32-bit program; I also use Eleven Rack as a front end for 64-bit Sonar. Of course you can't do the editing within Sonar, but you can feed in all the I/O.

What exactly isn't working for you?

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived