M-Audio Venom Synthesizer

Anderton

• Members

Well, I got the Venom about 4 hours ago and everything seems to be working perfectly in Mountain Lion 10.8.2 (insert roar here)! Vyzex works flawlessly and the Venom is recognized both as an audio and a midi interface by the OS and Logic Pro. smile.gif

The only thing that sucks is I'll be going to work tomorrow morning with who knows many hours of sleep... :p

I'll report back once I get a chance to put it through it's paces and test the stability.

Cheers,

mesty

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by mesty

View Post

Well, I got the Venom about 4 hours ago and everything seems to be working perfectly in Mountain Lion 10.8.2 (insert roar here)! Vyzex works flawlessly and the Venom is recognized both as an audio and a midi interface by the OS and Logic Pro. smile.gif

Cheers,

mesty

Great news, thanks for the update!

• Members

Happy to say, that I just purchased a Venom. I've always wanted a synthesizer, and the price was right.

I've been a musician for about 50 years, but have limited knowledge about synthesizers. I've been reading the included documents, but I'm also interested in finding a basic book on learning how to use/program a synthesizer. I've searched online, but want to make sure that I get one, which would go well with the Venom. Can someone on this forum, please recommend a book for me?

Thanks,

Dennis

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by surfunk

View Post

Happy to say, that I just purchased a Venom. I've always wanted a synthesizer, and the price was right.

I've been a musician for about 50 years, but have limited knowledge about synthesizers. I've been reading the included documents, but I'm also interested in finding a basic book on learning how to use/program a synthesizer. I've searched online, but want to make sure that I get one, which would go well with the Venom. Can someone on this forum, please recommend a book for me?

Thanks,

Dennis

I'm not really up on which books are current. I've always wanted to write one, though...anyway, this book + DVD set was just released. There are many aspects of Venom that I'm sure aren't covered, but for a general understanding of how synthesis works, it looks promising.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by godyn

View Post

Hi folks,

Since the venomsynth.com forum is moderated before posting and not being updated for almost half a year now,

I took the initiative to create a group at Yahoo where we can post user patches and banks, or even some Q&A forum.

I also took the freedom to copy some of Craigs wonderful writings from here, since this is very valuable info! (Craig, let me know if you do not wish so, then I remove).

I really love the synth ! :-)

The concept is great ! So I don't want it all to be lost because of bad moderation or support...

Does anybody have news why the forums are not updated anymore? Or where do you post topics about the Venom? (not here)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by GloomGenerator

View Post

Just got mine yesterday. Also on OS X 10.8.2 with no problems. Pretty neat little board, and well worth my wife's bitching thumb.gif

Just point out how much you saved compared to what it cost originally. There's something about "honey, I just saved hundreds of dollars!" that always seems to have some kind of magical effect.

• Members

Love this synth...! I Just got it a week or so ago, took a few days into it to get used to the editor but... very cool. Great work by you guys on this one.

Background, my Access Virus TI had buggy siftware, my Nord Lead2x didn't get as close to my Waldorf Microwave XTK; soft synths are ok, one of my favorites there is the FM7(8) and another Predator.

I can't believe I grabbed this for $200 new. This is really close to all the things I want in a synth WITHOUT spending $3000 for it.

Craig your reviews re this little monster were excellent and by the time I got to the part about it getting dropped by Avid, bad Avid...!

Wonder how my (Euphonix) controllers will hold up re support...?

Excellent synth, def a keeper, no worries.

Now, how can I save the Global Tuning and Tap Tempo on this thing!? Hmmm. (The Vyzer forum is down I guess, currently I have the Vyzex 1.11 editor. Tony?)

This synth is so close to what I have been looking for, somebody is bound to 're-invent' it by adding a zero ... or sumpin...

Cool. Thanks again.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

Just point out how much you saved compared to what it cost originally. There's something about "honey, I just saved hundreds of dollars!" that always seems to have some kind of magical effect.

Funny how the " spending to save" thing only seems to apply to purses and shoes, but not music gear tongue.gif.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by CompleteCycle

View Post

I will try, but would a brand new lead shipped with the venom be faulty?

Probably not, but I have had defective cables shipped with new devices on rare occasions. Apparently companies don't always buy top-of-the-line stuff for accessories...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by CompleteCycle

View Post

ok, cables made no difference.

I had to click the retry button, after about 4 to 5 tries the firmware update worked.

That would seem to indicate some kind of communication problem between the computer and Venom. But hey, if it's working...that's all that matters thumb.gif

• Members

It's good to know the Venom is still alive and well even though it's stock dropped out! It's embarrassing to report that I've yet to dig into it's core with the included software program and have not yet used it on a recording, in fact, only recently I've pulled it out for use as a midi controller.

• Members

I love this synth so much that I'm considering buying another as spare.

Quote Originally Posted by ggm1960

View Post

It's good to know the Venom is still alive and well even though it's stock dropped out! It's embarrassing to report that I've yet to dig into it's core with the included software program and have not yet used it on a recording, in fact, only recently I've pulled it out for use as a midi controller.

• Members

Well, I broke down and ordered a venom this week. Amazon's clearing them out for $189 now. I figured that's about as low as the price is gonna go before they deplete the old stock. I ordered a dust cover for it as well and the Vyzex software seems to install and run OK under Linux so now I just have to sit tight and wait for the delivery truck to show up. wink.gif

Considering I now own a casio XW-P1 and an M-Audio Venom there's gonna be a LOT of weird sounding noises coming out of my basement studio in weeks to come biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

• Members

Craig, I have found that Macs have voltage differences between usb ports, i.e., on a mbp, the front one gets full power, while the back one is split off andcan't carry the full spec. I have not multi metered it, buta year or so ago, I dug up something online that validated it from Apple. I was working on an intra oral xray setup at a clients, and their sensors are very picky about voltage. Talking to their techs, they saida majority of built inusb ports spec to the liw side. Just food for thought.

• Members

Geez, Craig should be getting a cut out of all the gear I'm buying based on his reviews. XW-P1 and Venom within the last two months. $167 from Amazon this weekend. At that price, I couldn't refuse even if it is an abandoned product. What a shame that the new editor never made it to birth.

Archived