M-Audio Venom Synthesizer

Anderton

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Recall

View Post

I'm a fuzz/bitcrushed loving guitarist looking to expand my sound with keyboards/synths.

Anything that gets down dirty with over-the-top filthy sounds is my kinda synth.

Hmmmm, I have a feeling we'd get along well smile.gif You're definitely in the right place.

More to come. I've had a bunch of other obligations this week, but I'm really looking forward to getting back to Venom.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This synth is great. I downloaded the Vyzex update 1.11. I installed it and after I rebooted I get runtime errors. I had to uninstall and reinstall the original version.

I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64bit. Not sure if I am the only one having this problem.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dsc

View Post

This synth is great. I downloaded the Vyzex update 1.11. I installed it and after I rebooted I get runtime errors. I had to uninstall and reinstall the original version.

I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64bit. Not sure if I am the only one having this problem.

Sorry to hear that. I am also running 64-bit Windows 7 using Vyzex 1.11, but not having any problems.

The only tips I can think of are the obvious ones - don't turn through a USB hub, try booting Windows first then plugging in Venom and if that doesn't work try booting Windows with Venom already plugged in, etc.

Tony can probably give you a far more useful answer!

• Members

I figured it out. You have to uninstall the original, then install the new one. Here are the details from the error.

Sorry for the trouble. Keep up the great post.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: Vyzex Venom.exe

Application Version: 10.0.5.0

Application Timestamp: 4c6df286

Fault Module Name: MSVCR100.dll

Fault Module Version: 10.0.30319.1

Fault Module Timestamp: 4ba1dbbe

Exception Offset: 0008ae6e

Exception Code: c0000417

Exception Data: 00000000

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: fd00

Additional Information 2: fd00e0406579885546b60c68a5b7bf86

Additional Information 3: 3559

Additional Information 4: 3559bbb3dd8680c7a7ddc86a6942a56b

• Members

View Post

I figured it out. You have to uninstall the original, then install the new one. Here are the details from the error.

Sorry for the trouble.

No trouble AT ALL. When this happens to someone else, they'll see your post and - problem solved.

• Members

Thanks for pointing out this issue, and you're correct about a full uninstall and reinstall being the fix - Good catch!

We have found that installing the update without first uninstalling the original is the cause of any issues that users encounter when upgrading to v1.11 (and later) from the CD version - It appears Windows 7 does not fully obey the 'clear out and reinstall' procedure mandated by our v1.11 installer with regards to installed Microsoft libraries, and since V1.11 was built with the latest Visual Studio (2010) instead of the earlier 2005 version used to build Vyzex Venom 1.00, this problem crops up on certain Win 7 machines.

We do recommend users uninstall the original version before installing the v1.11 version, but not everyone gets far enough into the README and included documentation to catch that - The V1.12 update version we are about to release (in the coming week if all goes well) will be much more obvious about this fact.

Cheers,

Tony

• Members

And that person would be me. Just got my venom in today and I was loading vyzex(the one on the disc first then tried updating it and gave me a hard time with the 64 bit windows 7) now that I read this and got it fixed I'm going to be enjoying spending hours of my life tweaking to my hearts content. Thanks.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Psicraft

View Post

...but not everyone gets far enough into the README and included documentation to catch that

I wonder if one reason why I have such good luck with gear is because I read the documentation...hmmm...think there's any cause-and-effect? smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by grossmail

View Post

And that person would be me. Just got my venom in today and I was loading vyzex(the one on the disc first then tried updating it and gave me a hard time with the 64 bit windows 7) now that I read this and got it fixed I'm going to be enjoying spending hours of my life tweaking to my hearts content. Thanks.

Feel free to share your patches!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

Update: I've recorded some short musical examples of playing multi patches, which seemed like a good way to introduce the multi aspect of Venom. I'll edit and convert to MP3 later today (Tuesday) so I can post them.

Looking forward to hearing the results Craig smile.gif

• Members

Okay, so I got a little out of control. I started doing audio examples, and then thought it would be cool to play it back from YouTube, but then I needed to have some eye candy...so here we are.

In 7 minutes and 49 seconds, you'll find out why I'm loving this synthesizer more and more. The examples are just one Venom using Multis - no overdubs. If your idea of the apex of music is James Taylor, you may run away screaming. But if you like electro, industrial, Kraftwerk, NIN, etc., I think this is going to rock your world. smile.gif

BTW - do yourself a favor and listen over decent speakers, there's some pretty pumping bass in there.

• Members

View Post

Okay, so I got a little out of control. I started doing audio examples, and then thought it would be cool to play it back from YouTube, but then I needed to have some eye candy...so here we are.

In 7 minutes and 49 seconds, you'll find out why I'm loving this synthesizer more and more. The example are just one Venom using Multis - no overdubs. If your idea of the apex of music is James Taylor, you may run away screaming. But if you like electro, industrial, Kraftwerk, NIN, etc., I think this is going to rock your world. smile.gif

BTW - do yourself a favor and listen over decent speakers, there's some pretty pumping bass in there.

I could see this being used in everything from Dub, to TechHouse, Ambient, Electro, D'n'B, Dubstep, Grime and IDM and several styles in between - the bass is meaty enough for a rampaging Goa work out also.

Sounds rather good, I quite like the tonal character myself.

Would really contrast nicely with my Prophecy and Ultraproteus for example.

View Post

In 7 minutes and 49 seconds, you'll find out why I'm loving this synthesizer more and more. The examples are just one Venom using Multis - no overdubs. If your idea of the apex of music is James Taylor, you may run away screaming. But if you like electro, industrial, Kraftwerk, NIN, etc., I think this is going to rock your world. smile.gif

Wow - outstanding work Craig! Phil-Thumbs-Up-Small.gif

• Members

View Post

Before going further, let’s install the driver software and Vyzex editing software. Of course there’s a CD-ROM that comes with Venom and includes these files, but also of course, it’s obsolete because newer files are available from the M-Audio web site.

M-Audio is quite good about making it easy to do updates. They ask you to fill out a quick survey before you download the software, but you don’t have to—it will still let you do the download. As of this post, the Vyzex editor is at version 1.11, and the driver at version 1.0.10.

I elected to install the Venom software on a Windows XP SP3 operating system (yeah, yeah, I know...I’ll be upgrading to Windows 7 soon, but this works for now). Installation follows the usual procedure where you install the driver software first, then connect the keyboard. Installation of the driver (which also updates the firmware if needed) appeared to be uneventful, and said a firmware update wasn’t necessary. But after installing and opening the editor, it said it couldn’t find the Venom via its “Autosense” option, which would supposedly find Venom and load the data from it.

I noticed an M-Audio logo in the system tray, and clicked on it; it confirmed that Venom was connected, and that the firmware and drivers were up to date. Hmm...

Next step was to avoid USB and try standard MIDI 5-pin DIN I/O. I hooked this up to my E-Mu 1820 interface, specified the I/O to the editor, and everything worked as advertised. Obviously the problem related to USB, although the control panel said Venom was connected. So doing my best Sherlock Holmes imitation, I deduced that the USB connection was functioning, but the problem was that the editor couldn’t communicate via USB.

I went back to the manuals, and noticed that if a firmware update happened, that it was necessary to do a full reset on the synth. So even though the installation process indicated a firmware update wasn't necessary, as I firmly believe that reboots and resets solve many ills, I did a full reset on Venom and voila – the editor communicated with it. Mission accomplished, and I was good to go.

The first attached image shows the screen for a single patch; the second attached image shows the screen for a multi. You can also load screens for the single patches that make up a multi. Unfortunately, the maximum image width for the forums is 900 pixels so I had to reduce the screen size by about 10%; the “real” version is a bit larger, and looks a little less “squished” (of course, this data-compressed image is also somewhat fuzzy-looking).

Incidentally, this program is an editor/librarian only, and unlike some recent keyboards from Korg, Yamaha, and Roland, the software won’t let Venom serve as a VST/AU plug-in. However, in the Vyzex documentation, Psicraft (the company behind the software) says that a plug-in friendly version will be available in early 2011 for $19.95. We’ll check it out when it lands.

Next stop: the audio interface.

could someone please direct me to a download of the latest editor ? the damn Vyzor site is down, and the boneheads at M-Audio haven't posted the editor or even a link to it that I've run across...thanks very much.

• Members

I just got the Venom yesterday, at first I was a little unsure about the sound quality, it seems to deviate from fairly lush sweet to nasty lo-fi dr.distorto...which is all good...I'm bummed because the Vyzex Editor is MANDATORY for doing any real editing, I thought this was supposed to be a standalone tweak-all...but when Guitar Center can't seem to even stock the item in a store, you have to go on video demos and spec list hype...

I noticed that the Vyzor site has disappeared and M-Audio doesn't have downloads of the editor or even a link to it...I'd really like to find the latest editor without waiting an indeterminate time for the site to reappear, can someone send me a link or e-mail the editor to me (Mac version mainly, but Mac & Win would be great). Thanks very much, great forum. minehead@triad.rr.com

• Members

I went to the site's home page and it said: "The Vyzor Home Page is under reconstruction and will be back shortly."

So you probably won't have too long to wait, but maybe Tony has an answer.

FYI - it was mentioned in posts #39 and #40 that you need the editor to do any serious programming.

• Members

mineheadx1

Just sent both of them to ya!

Check your junk folder.

They are kinda chunky, so let me know if you got them, if not I will

throw them up on my web server.

Hope this helps until it gets back rockin'.

• Members

Tip o' the hat to dsc...Mineheadx1, have fun! Not sure if this would be considered "distributing" software, but as the site is still down, I'm quite sure Tony won't have a problem with this (assuming it is in fact a problem). Besides, the Vyzex editor has one helluva dongle - you need to connect Venom to it. smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ''Anderton"

but as the site is still down, I'm quite sure Tony won't have a problem with this (assuming it is in fact a problem).

Umm, not a legal problem as such, but a couple of important facts are in order:

1. M-Audio hosts the Vyzex Venom download at their site - It's never been hosted at the Vyzor website. Unfortunately M-Audio's 'driver download' search system does not offer the Vyzex Venom software as a returned download since it's actually editor software (I am told they're working on adding it though).

To find the Vyzex editor download, type 'Vyzex Venom Download' into the search box on the M-Audio site like I just did:

http://www.avid.com/us/search/result...wnload&x=0&y=0

Or, if you prefer, here's a direct download link of the latest Vyzex Venom version from the returned results: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=media.new&ID=2002

2. You'll note the Vyzex Venom software download is bundled with a firmware update - I can't stress the importance of this enough: The editor version on the CD (1.00) is specifically tuned to the factory firmware - It won't work properly with newer firmware and likewise, the latest release version of the editor (1.11 as of this post) won't work properly with the factory Venom firmware... Ya gotta update 'em both or not at all!

Now of course, as Craig has noted earlier in his review, once you have a version of the editor installed it will hassle you to update to the latest version when it runs - Lo and behold, you'll be linked to the M-Audio download site directly and not only will you get the latest release version but you'll also get the latest firmware in the package.

Another note for Windows users: Uninstall the original version from the start menu item before you install the update version - We found out the hard way that some Win 7 users have issues if they don't do this so better safe than sorry.

3. The Vyzor Home site is indeed under reconstruction right now, but as it says very clearly on the page - The technical support board remains in full operation. There's also a link there to connect you right away.

The items under construction are our new online store where the plug-in upgrade (Vyzor Venom) and our pending line of Vyzor Legacy products are going to be sold. We're also working on the product pages to to back up all these professional software titles for when they are released in Q2.

In other words, Venom users need not worry - these changes will not inconvenience them in the slightest.

Ok I am putting down the fire extinguisher now - I think this one's out... cool.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Psicraft

View Post

- I can't stress the importance of this enough: The editor version on the CD (1.00) is specifically tuned to the factory firmware - It won't work properly with newer firmware and likewise, the latest release version of the editor (1.11 as of this post) won't work properly with the factory Venom firmware... Ya gotta update 'em both or not at all!

This is a very good point! Once the site returns, I will take these down. No need to cause more problems if it's not necessary.

I notice you have eluded to Psicraft building out a commercial 'pro' product that would be sold separately, can you enlighten us to more 'goodies' we can expect with that version? Would it be for Venom only, or if not can you explain. I am not too familiar with Psicraft.

(At least I think I got that right?!)

• Members

View Post

This is a very good point! Once the site returns, I will take these down. No need to cause more problems if it's not necessary.

The point I was trying to make was that Avid has been hosting these downloads all along, and they are there now... Of course Avid has done a masterful job of hiding these downloads - I just realized that even my earlier reply to this thread was no help on that front - All my search results provided were another firmware download, not the editor download that was needed facepalm.gif.

Here are the ACTUAL Vyzex Venom v1.11 Editor downloads hosted by Avid:

Windows: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...drivers&f=1133

Mac: http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...drivers&f=1132

I am adding these to the Vyzor site's 'Offline' site page as well... Hopefully we can avoid anyone else getting lost like this in the future, but Murphy is always waiting...

View Post

I notice you have eluded to Psicraft building out a commercial 'pro' product that would be sold separately, can you enlighten us to more 'goodies' we can expect with that version?

Well I don't want to hijack Craig's review any more than we already have... but I just can't resist a perfect cue like that biggrin.gif.

Basically there is another level of important features coming for the editor: LinkTracker, Sync Manager and expanded 'Patch Collider to Collection' capabilities. We originally planned these extras as 'retail upgrade' goodies but in the final analysis we decided to make them a free update for Vyzex Venom as well as features of the Vyzor Venom upgrade.

The big difference in the retail version will be that Vyzor Venom can also run as a VST/AU plug-in with DAW automation (in addition to the standalone operation of Vyzex Venom). The GUIs of both editors will be identical *at least for the initial release*.

Normally we'd sell a Vyzor editor for a synthesizer like Venom for $79 to $99, but since Avid has already licensed a Vyzex editor included free with Venom, we are able to pass the shared development and licensing savings on to end users. Even more dramatically, Venom is shipping in large volumes so we are applying the economy of scale to cut the cost of Vyzor Venom even more than we normally could - Vyzor Venom will sell for $19.95, which I think is unprecedented for an editor of this caliber and scope - Craig will know more having probably spent enough on music software over the years to have otherwise purchased a small island in the Carribean... icon_lol.gif

View Post

Would it be for Venom only, or if not can you explain. I am not too familiar with Psicraft. (At least I think I got that right?!)

Our pending line of software releases support a variety of instruments: Each software title is specific to a particular synthesizer - Some of them totally new like Venom, and others decidedly retro... Please visit the Vyzor website when it comes back online - You may see more than a few of your old friends rebooted for the 21st century as editors with a professional edge. We're not referring to them as 'The Future of Vintage' for nothing! thumb.gif

Ahem...I now return control of the aircraft to Captain Anderton... Over to you Craig.

Archived