Phonic Firefly 808 Universal Interface - Now with Conclusions

Anderton

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've got the Firefly here for a try out (I've got a 30 days money back option).

So far, I am not too impressed with the latencies I get. I use a brand new Acer 5742 laptop with a i3 380M processor and 4GB of RAM. Bloatware has been uninstalled, and all windows updates have been installed. When I set the latencies to 5 ms stream + 5 ms ASIO, Samplitude reports 22 ms output latency and 12 ms input latency, and I get an audible delay on my software monitoring, and playing that VSTi feels slow.

Maybe I am just spoiled by being used to work with the Sonic Core Scope system on my stationary PC with much lower specs.

• Members

I've got one here. Still haven't decided if I'll keep it. It appears to take more computer power that in my brand new i3 380M laptop to get down to useful latencies.

What are the chances of seeing a firmware update making it possible to use the unit as a stand alone ADAT A/D converter?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Unfortunately, the stand alone ADAT out gives you a mix of the 8 analog inputs. It really is a shame there is no option to use it as a stand alone 8 channel A/D - or even A/D/A.

Another thing to take care about is, that the mic inputs are relatively low impedance at only 1100 ohm, and some microphones will be too high impedance to match this well according to the old 1:10 rule.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel

View Post

Another thing to take care about is, that the mic inputs are relatively low impedance at only 1100 ohm, and some microphones will be too high impedance to match this well according to the old 1:10 rule.

Actually this isn't too out of line, as the typical mic has a 150 ohm output. Most mixers are in the same general range as the 808, as they assume users will be using low impedance, not high impedance, microphones. For example, the Mackie VLZ series has a 1.3k input Z. Typical is 1.5k, but some mixers go as low as 600 ohms.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

... For example, the Mackie VLZ series has a 1.3k input Z. ...

I've got the Mackie 1642-vlz3 manual here (I use that mixer at the school where I work as a music therapist), and it says 2.5k on the mic inputs. Maybe earlier versions had 1.3 and they found it worth while to change it?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Immanuel

View Post

I've got the Mackie 1642-vlz3 manual here (I use that mixer at the school where I work as a music therapist), and it says 2.5k on the mic inputs. Maybe earlier versions had 1.3 and they found it worth while to change it?

Very possibly - that was from the VLZ 2 series spec sheet, which was the first thing that popped up on Google smile.gif The most common spec I saw was around 1.5k, which given the typical 150 ohm output, makes sense.

However, I believe input impedance makes a difference (high-frequency response and level) only with dynamic mics, as condenser mics have an active output. With condenser mics there might be a very slight gain difference, but there should be no change in frequency response.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phonon

View Post

Are there no Mac firewire drivers for Firefly 808?

I'm considering a Firefly 808, but can not choose the product if it doesn't have support for FireWire on Mac?

According to the Phonic site, there is Mac Firewire control panel software, and there's claimed compatibility with OS X. However, I don't think there has been an update for Lion, and I have not tested Firewire with the Mac (I'm still on Snow Leopard, so can't test with Lion). If I get a chance to do so, I will and report back.

• Members

View Post

According to the Phonic site, there is Mac Firewire control panel software, and there's claimed compatibility with OS X. However, I don't think there has been an update for Lion, and I have not tested Firewire with the Mac (I'm still on Snow Leopard, so can't test with Lion). If I get a chance to do so, I will and report back.

Thanx. I'm also on SL, and will continue to be. ;-) But - I read somewhere in this thread that Phonic support said they could not supply upgraded FireWire-drivers for Mac, so I'm just wondering about their commitment to the platform?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phonon

View Post

Thanx. I'm also on SL, and will continue to be. ;-) But - I read somewhere in this thread that Phonic support said they could not supply upgraded FireWire-drivers for Mac, so I'm just wondering about their commitment to the platform?

Actually at this point I'm wondering about everyone's commitment to Firewire. Apple dropped it from the new Airs, and it's almost impossible to find a PC laptop with Firewire (or even an ExpressCard slot for a Firewire adapter). But, Grant from Phonic monitors this thread, so he might have some insights on their future plans re: Firewire and the Mac.

But one thing I don't understand: What's wrong with just using the USB 2.0 connection instead? Realistically, the difference in practical, as opposted to theoretical, throughput is pretty minimal.

• Members

View Post

Actually at this point I'm wondering about everyone's commitment to Firewire. Apple dropped it from the new Airs, and it's almost impossible to find a PC laptop with Firewire (or even an ExpressCard slot for a Firewire adapter). But, Grant from Phonic monitors this thread, so he might have some insights on their future plans re: Firewire and the Mac.

But one thing I don't understand: What's wrong with just using the USB 2.0 connection instead? Realistically, the difference in practical, as opposted to theoretical, throughput is pretty minimal.

Thunderbolt. love.gif I'm looking for a FireWire interface for use with a MacBook which only has USB 1.1, until interfaces with Thunderbolt gets available. Hopefully, Phonic will have a Thunderbolt interface soon? thumb.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have another question i hope someone can help me with.

The reason i'm posting here is that most people look at Phonic like many look at Behringer and I'd like an opinion from a fellow Phonic user.

I have two firefly's (the silver one's). And would like to have a add on unit for single recordings in the higher class of equipement.

The ART MPA II DIGITAL unit looks very interesting but i'm curious if this unit really gives that much better recordings.

It's mainly for recording direct-in guitars and reamp the signal. With my current recordings I get some noise when using hi-gain preamps.

ART MPA II specs -> http://www.artproaudio.com/products....6&cat=9&id=145 (bottom of the page)

I can't find a specs list for the FireFly but you can download it at Phonic.com

Al those technical differences don't tell me that much, I was hoping someone with more knowhow could help me with this.

Thanks and sorry if my english isn't that good!

• Members

Thanks for this great review. Not only did this review provide excellent information, also Phonic proved that they really care and are on top of customers problems and questions. I was tempted to buy the audio interface from Presonus Firestudio. I have seen it in action and it is a fine interface. Then I stumbled over the Phonic 808. After this review I put it into the shopping cart and can't wait to try it out. Would have been nice if the height would be smaller, but I can't have it all. And besides, having internally bigger sinks and more room for heat dissipation is better anyhow.

I am intending to use it with the Studio SW from MAGIX Samplitude and hope not experiencing any hickups.

I am intending using firewire, believing this is the superior and more professional way doing things. Too many problems with the USBs let me be more conservative.

Again, thanks everybody for this great website and the great input.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yesterday I received the device. I hooked it up, installed driver (Firewire), unplugged, reconnected and everything worked right away. I am using HP Pavillion computer with quad duo processor, 8MB RAM and the Studio SW Samplitude from MAGIX. No audible latency, great quality recording.

I am experiencing a problem though with recording two channels (I am using channel 1 and 2 as Mono channels) while playing back another track. I get interruptions during recording in both channels. (running with in 96k mode).

I will reboot, close all other applications and see whether this solves the problem. Any advice on this?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HardyK

View Post

Yesterday I received the device. I hooked it up, installed driver (Firewire), unplugged, reconnected and everything worked right away. I am using HP Pavillion computer with quad duo processor, 8MB RAM and the Studio SW Samplitude from MAGIX. No audible latency, great quality recording.

I am experiencing a problem though with recording two channels (I am using channel 1 and 2 as Mono channels) while playing back another track. I get interruptions during recording in both channels. (running with in 96k mode).

I will reboot, close all other applications and see whether this solves the problem. Any advice on this?

Computers have to work harder at higher sample rates, so you may need to increase latency. Also, make sure you don't have anything else on the FireWire bus, like a hard drive - the interface should have a port all to itself.

• Members

Thanks for your advice, I now just have to figure out how to increase latency. After closing all programs it is already running almost flawless.

I'm wondering how the parameter min the Phonic Control panel might help: Stream buffer and Audio Buffers (ASIO , WDM). Can you please advice?

This is too bad that these parameter settings don't stay were they were. After every re-connect they must be set again. I hope this will be changed by Phonic some day.

• Members

Actually I've got a number of pretty experienced people telling me that Phonic is about 3-4 steps below Behringer in quality and to run (not walk) away from anything they offer more complicated than an adapter. eek.gif

How well does the Phonic 808U compare with a good used MOTU 828mk2 or mk3?

• Members

see a review here: http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--MTU828MK3

Does not really sound convincing. IMHO the phonic device is 1st class. Can't imagine how Behringer can hold up to it. I have quite some Behringer equipment myself. It is OK for the price and OK for performances. For high end studio recording it is not as good and the electronic discrete elements they are using are not of superior quality and most devices have a higher noise.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by PoorOrca

View Post

I just got my Phonic 808 Universal,

But it doesn't connect to my computer.

The blue light comes on, but my computer doesn't see anything.

Happens to both firewire and usb on my new imac.

Any Suggestions?

What OS are you using ?

Mine works fine in 64BIT Mode on 10.7.2 (just so you know).

Make sure you have the switch on the back moved over to Firewire and open Audio/Midi Preference (in Utilities) to make sure Core Audio knows it is there.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by YosefTux

View Post

Actually I've got a number of pretty experienced people telling me that Phonic is about 3-4 steps below Behringer in quality and to run (not walk) away from anything they offer more complicated than an adapter. eek.gif

Have they actually used the 808 and tested it? The specs presented at the beginning of the review pretty much speak for themselves. Past that, it's all about whether the drivers work with your system, and preferences regarding the applet and such.

Archived