Casio XW-P1 Performance Synthesizer

Anderton

• Members

I managed to make my Yamaha FC-4 pedal to work wih the XW. It's just a simple matter of taking the pedal appart (very easy), and switching one of the contacts to face the other way, transforming the switch into a NO (normally open) one. If you guys have this pedal and are into a bit of DIY, it's fairly easy to do, and save a few $ in the process (i know, i'm cheap :p). One thing to mention is that the plastic that holds the contacts is rather weak, and will break easily, if you use too much force. Let me know if you want, and i can post a few images that show the process.

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Korianna

View Post

Thank you...I bought this XW-P1 3-4 months ago and havent had the time to get into it till now. Thankfully, Mike's videos have been a tremendous help especially with the step sequencer. Im assuming then that to split the keyboard, that has to be done in Performance mode? Im sorry if I seem ignorant...Im a piano person and synths are new to me, and that manual is a bit over my head lol biggrin.gif

No problem. Look here how to split the keyboard in PERFORMANCE MODE - http://xwsynth.wordpress.com/2012/04...eyboard-split/

• Members

Thnx FMURI, I re-watched mike's phrase seq. vid and realized that the tone I want for the phrase needs to be part of a zone to play the tone I want. Maybe in the future it would be nice to have a parameter that controls which tone to use for a phrase in a performance so I dont have to have a zone dedicated to it tongue.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Korianna

View Post

Thnx FMURI, I re-watched mike's phrase seq. vid and realized that the tone I want for the phrase needs to be part of a zone to play the tone I want. Maybe in the future it would be nice to have a parameter that controls which tone to use for a phrase in a performance so I dont have to have a zone dedicated to it tongue.gif

You can do this in PERFORMANCE MODE. You have to press de EDIT button and set to the ZONE defined to the TONE of your phrase and then you can change to another TONE on the fly only pressing buttons.

• Members

This is true, but from what I've found, the phrase will play the tone in the zone that is defined in the same key and octave as the phrase, so, in other words, your zone tone and phrase tone must match to get the tone you want.

• Members

Hi, some news regarding new patches from others like Kid Nepro & Co.? I've not much time di program, and I remember Mike was talking about agreements with other programmers, in order to get some new patches...

the XW-P1 has a great potential, but I'm not able (and I've no time) to dig deeply into it....

• Members

It's portamento on the REO Speedwagon song, basically on a sawtooth based lead synth sound, with the filter pretty much wide open.

Referring to this version:

Sounds like the notes being used are A to about C an octave and a 3rd higher and back down to A, an octave higher than the A that the sweep starts on. So it's not 3 octaves, it's really only just a little more than one octave.

Fairly slow portamento. On some versions I hear a delay with feedback for about one repeat so that there's a thickness that isn't there on other versions.

Surely there is portamento parameter on the XW-P1 but I haven't dug into the manual yet to see how to get at it.

• Members

Hello! I just got an XW-P1 and was trying to record slider movements into Sonar 8.5 while in hex layer mode, and the NRPN data is...unusual. smile.gif

hexnrpn001.png

This picture shows the data from moving the nine sliders in hex layer mode. I moved them all from the bottom to the top, but you can see the first six sliders (individual layer levels) put out data that starts in the middle and then wraps around. This is a problem while the XW-P1 is in local off mode and receiving the data from the computer because the levels of the layers become unusable, as a volume of 0 ends up being in the middle of the slider's movement.

I hope I am not overexplaining this. The sliders work fine in solo synth and drawbar organ modes. I should add that controlling the levels in a hex tone locally work fine, it's just the MIDI data the sliders send is messed up. And I think it behaves the same whether sending over USB or the 5-pin MIDI port.

Is this a known issue or is it something that could be addressed in a firmware update? Or am I just doing something wrong? Oh, and if it matters, I have a gold XW.

Thanks for any help!

• Members
Mike - is there a chance that Casio Data Editor ported for android, version for tablet would be an extra. Your Data editor is a programmed in QT and QT is multiplatform framework. I recently bought this synth and I'm delighted with it. Mike, your great videos helped me to decide buy this extraordinary keyboard. 5-stars for Casio "Nice to see this brand again".

• Members

I'm an intermediate keyboardist (guitar is my primary instrument) and purchased the Casio to add to my JX-8P and JV-1080. The synth and organ functions were the most appealing to me prior to purchase. While this keyboard may not suit the pros who are using top-of-the-line units, it will appeal to a lot of people who are beginners or intermediate users like me.

I received my P1 last night and had some time to set it up and get a feel for the synth. I purchased a customer return unit from AMS for $399. What a deal.... the synth is as-new with no marks or cracks. The build seems good to me-while the unit is mostly plastic, it seems solid and it is very light at 11 lbs. Nice.... I can pack the Casio in one hand and my Ultimate Support AX-48 in the other and go play in church by plugging in to the board there.

My first impression was that the keys are spongy, as has been pointed out. However, they are very consistent and after a short time I didn't notice. However, a slightly lighter touch would be better I think. And that's my only criticism of the synth so far. Deep editing will take some time to learn, so my time was spent on presets and working with the organ after a factory reset.

My impression of the organ function was that it is pretty fair sounding. However, I've heard enough of the demos to know that there are some good sounds in there, but it will require more practice with programming to tease them out. The solo synth sounds very good and, as with the organ, it will take some practice to build some great sounds. The organ should work well for live performances, but it will be difficult to pry me away from my NI organ plugins for recording B3 tones.

My Android tablet plugged up to the line in so that I could play along with recordings. I'll do some more testing of this with some apps that I'm trying out to see if the tablet could provide all the accompaniment that I need for a short live performance. All in all, the P1 is very impressive and is packed with features. Reading the manual is bit intimidating in that there is a lot to learn to fully utilize this synth. I will be downloading the editor and like the poster above, I'd love to see an Android version.

• Members

The main thing you want is an impedance conversion, which the Zoom can do. First I'd suggest not using the effects in the Zoom and checking out the ones in the XW-P1. Odds are the XW-P1 effects would obviate the need to use the Zoom stereo effects. However, if there's a particular Zoom effect you like (e.g., a certain distortion), I'd suggest running it in mono. Combining outs can lead to unpredictable results.

LEED Industries

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by voice of truth

View Post

I obviously overlooked the basic waveforms that I discussed, and for that I do humbly apologize. I obviously failed to notice them, and so I will return to that area and give it another go. However, the sound quality is something that I am very much sure about. Good luck to you and Casio with this and any other products that may be released in the future. Without a doubt you will indeed have a piece of the market whose desires meet up with what this gear can provide. And again I do apologize for that slight oversight of mine and appreciate you correcting me.

Its sounds like ur pissed cuz u didnt get something for nothing, don't hate on Casio for doing business man. I'm pro of over 40 years world class musician I have'nt even play one of these and I can tell you now that I will like it. It's a powerful $500 unit, and will be a good addition to my rig. Since it has the ability to stack the tones this alone to me is worthy of my cash not to mention the many other features it provides. Maybe you just don't know how to program, but rest assured I do.

• Members

ok Casio here goes, XW-P1 I think this is a slammin keyboard for the price!! hands down. I like the 6 layers hex, solo synth stuff, step, phrase seq, arp is cool.I'm a pro of 40 years and know programming synths, been using Roland since I was a kid. I just got the keyboard a couple of days ago in the UAE (Dubai) and am looking to program it. I know the tones are good cuz in the PCM melody tone their clean, but wen I go to program the hex its really distorted. So the other person in the harmony central forum was right, except that he couldn't find a way to program it like me. I have gotten it to where it wont distort or crackle. If you guys can somehow fix this, and make a row of buttons or pads to directly access the user/presets sounds your on your way to a excellent pro keyboard!!! You already have achieved a great success here with the XW-P1. Resonance filter in the hex layer would also be nice, stacking the tones through midi in the mixer section would also be good, access to the preset PCM tones in hex mode would also be very good.

I'm very glad to have purchased this unit and am looking forward to making music with it, kudos to you Casio (Mike Martin) you guys rock!!! I stumbled across your board by accident, cause in the UAE there isn't really a big market for Roland so I went down to my local shop where Casio was and they had this unit for sale. I have programmed some very good sounds and will post them in Harmony Central for others to enjoy. Thanks Casio!!! smile.gif Happy Camper

• Members

Hi Travst,

This is a top notch unit. I do have all pro gear and I'm glad I bought this unit. It takes some time to get used to, but all in all it is a very good board and I'm looking forward to making music with it, if you need some tips I will be glad to help, just hit me up smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by skyy1985

View Post

Hi Travst,

This is a top notch unit. I do have all pro gear and I'm glad I bought this unit. It takes some time to get used to, but all in all it is a very good board and I'm looking forward to making music with it, if you need some tips I will be glad to help, just hit me up smile.gif

I agree. After a couple of weeks with it I've learned to program and there are some great sounds in it. Mike's Bladerunner video has me wanting to work on that song. I could get lost for days playing around with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi guys,

I'm back with another XW-P1 + iPad related question.

As you all know, the acoustic / electric piano sounds are a subjective matter, and for that matter i happen to like more the acoustic piano sounds from either iGrand, and/or Sampletank on the iPad. So i'd like to use those sounds, combined with the sick synth sounds the XW can put out.

On paper, it all should work well : the XW has 4 zones, and Sampletank is also 4-part multitimbral; and they kind of work together...kinda...;

Zone 1 when set to external channel 1 triggers part 1 in Sampletank; Zone 2 - > external channel 2 - > Part 2 in Sampletank, and so forth.

What i'm trying to figure out is : is there any way to have on the fly control over which zone is playing at a given time ? like the ability to switch on a zone while playing, and also maybe have volume control over the diferent zones?

I've tried delving in the mixer page, but everytime i move a fader corresponding to a specific zone, that zone gets solo-d, and the other 3 zones get muted.

Thanks!

• Members

Hey Mike,

I just want to say XW-P1 is a great board, the more i mess with it the more i enjoy it. I have a fantom x6 and have stacked them both, but the only thing is I can't get the x6 to change the performances. I checked the manual and it says that 112 MSB and then the Progam #, but wen i use this in the x6 its changes, but the PCM tones not the performances, am I missin something? Can you please help me in the midi part of the XW-P1,. Thanx

• Members

It might be the bank select controller method. When I use my XW with Cakewalk I have to set the controller method to Controller 32 in order to access the Synth modes, even though it's supposed to work with Controller 0 Normal Method. Otherwise all I can get is PCM sounds as well.

Archived