GUYTRONIX ARDMORE AND GILMORE JR (tube amp kits)

Phil O'Keefe

Originally posted by Buckeyedog

which would you think would be a better "first build".....the Jr. or the Ardmore??

Thanks

They're actually pretty similar. The Ardmore's circuit board is a bit easier to build IMO, but not by much. As far as the tube wiring, the Gilmore Jr is the easier of the two - you only have two tubes to wire up, vs the three tubes in the Ardmore.

Personally, I'd base my decision more on your volume needs / tolerance (the Ardmore is louder) and your tonal preferences - the build difficulty is really not all that different between the two models. But if absolute ease of build is your first consideration, the Gilmore Jr is probably just the slightest bit easier to assemble overall.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Personally, I'd base my decision more on your volume needs / tolerance (the Ardmore is louder) and your tonal preferences -

I might be getting a bit ahead of things, but I have to ask:

What exactly is the tonal difference between the two amps? Does one get dirtier/crunchier/smoother than the other? Or something else?

Originally posted by dsquared

I might be getting a bit ahead of things, but I have to ask:

What exactly is the tonal difference between the two amps? Does one get dirtier/crunchier/smoother than the other? Or something else?

I'd kind of like to save that for the group testing / listening sessions, and for the downloadable clips... :) ...but if you'd like to hear some examples, they've got clips of both over on the Guytronix site - Here's a link.

Originally posted by Danocoustic

Did you think I'd miss that little dig, Phil?

:mad:

;)

All in good fun shipmate.
;):D

Talk about dumbass, though...I almost dropped my Gilmore, broke the ECC99 tube in the process. Good ol' Rich sent me another one right away
:thu:

And you're not even reviewing the products?
;)
I'd say that's a good independent confirmation of Guytronix's excellent customer service, and it's certainly in line with my personal experiences when dealing with Rich.
:cool:

• Members

I'm unsubscribing to this thread... the gas is killing me, and I'm not switching jobs (and therefore able to afford this) until around march... heh, maybe I'll just check in on this thread then, and maybe by then he'll have a tube installed :D

just kidding Phil, thanks so much... once finances are permitting, I think I'm gonna have a long hobby ahead of me, you should do this type of thread with the 7th circle (I think that's the brand) kits too.. .

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

...very revolting, for the most part! :p

Can't wait for Phil to drop another couple o' nuggets here for us to read. I'm wondering just good the clean tone of this thing is at studio/bedroom/neighbor-happy volumes. I suppose a lot of that would depend on the speaker and cabinet used, too, but those are easy things to remedy, right?

Love the pictures, btw!

Glad you like the pictures. :)

Actually, Phil has been dealing with some major PT issues, as well as a few other problems, and now that that's pretty much out of the way, we can continue. :)

We're pretty much done with most of the build related stuff, but I do want to do one or two more posts to wrap that up. However, the next step after that is to get about a half a dozen to a dozen people together for some taste tests / tryouts / clip recording sessions. So if you're interested in doing that - probably sometime in early / mid March, please drop me a PM and let me know. :)

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Glad you like the pictures.
:)

Actually, Phil has been dealing with some major PT issues, as well as a few other problems, and now that that's pretty much out of the way, we can continue.

We're pretty much done with most of the build related stuff, but I do want to do one or two more posts to wrap that up. However, the next step after that is to get about a half a dozen to a dozen people together for some taste tests / tryouts / clip recording sessions. So if you're interested in doing that - probably sometime in early / mid March, please drop me a PM and let me know.

It's been a week--- :mad:

Don't make me report you!

• Members

Hello BigWood,

Thanks for being my Customer ;) and thanks for your inquiry.

The 'M' mod adjust the gain of the amp. Here are the changes/values;

M Mod

C1 = .68uf (any voltage above 20) save the original C1 cap.

C5 = .002uf (400v or higher)

R6 = 100K

R10 = 470K

If your taste requires more crunch/overdrive, change the following;

C4 = .002uf (400v or higher)

Add = .68uf (20v or higher) across R8 (make them parallel)

Twiddle some more?
Leave in all of the above but change C1 back to the original value of 22uf/25v.

My personal favorite is the 'V' mod. It modifies the tone stack to mimic an old Vox AC4. With the 'V' mod, you will loose just a tad of overall volume due to insertion loss (normal). Here are those changes/values;

V Mod

--Add between V1 pin 6 (plate, turret #10) and the top lug (see below) on the tone pot either a .002uf Mallory 150 or a .002uf Orange Drop cap (closer to V1) followed by 470K resistor

--Change C2 to silver mica 47pf/500V

--Remove R5 (100K) and add a jumper where it was

--Change C4 to silver mica 220pf

--Add 330K resistor between top lug on the Volume pot and the bottom lug on Tone pot. I have the pots in the amp so that the lugs point to the right when looking from the inside, so there is a top, mid, and bottom

I like running the two Watt mod in my 'V' mod Gilmore Jr. It provides additional clean headroom.

We are soon releasing a mod that turns the Gilmore Jr into a tube overdrive to push a bigger wattage amp. It provides preamp/output tube and transformer saturation. It will be released in a sort of stomp box format thus keeping the build preserved for times when you use it for a stand-alone amp.
:freak:

We are soon releasing a mod that turns the Gilmore Jr into a tube overdrive to push a bigger wattage amp. It provides preamp/output tube and transformer saturation. It will be released in a sort of stomp box format thus keeping the build preserved for times when you use it for a stand-alone amp.

That sounds very interesting Rich. Please keep us posted. :)

• Members

Phil,

I will be sending a unit for you and the guys to beat-up once I build one in a suitable box. I don't want Danocoustic to get too carried away once I send him tickets for a one-way Wooley Llama ride to your studio. :eek::freak:;) (Dano, if I could afford it, I'd send you First Class ;^)

I've got the current build in a less than sat enclosure for pre release testing purposes. It's now ready. Gary Gerhart designed the circuit. I am heavily twisting the eccentric modest arm of the reclusive tone wizard to sign the first five units (for a special personal intention), so please give me approx ~ two weeks to deliver.

There is also another box in development that allows the Ardmore Kit to be used in the same way.

Wait till you see what’s next :freak::thu:

Your tone is our command.

Archived