GUYTRONIX ARDMORE AND GILMORE JR (tube amp kits)

Phil O'Keefe

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, next up is the wiring for the transformers, tube sockets and chassis mounted parts. On this step you will want to plan things out a little bit first, before doing the soldering. Once again, the manual defiitely points this out.

Notice that some of the wires in the picture above are "twisted". That's helpful for reducing noise, and the manual points out which wires have got to be twisted (the green wires going to the tube sockets in the picture above), as well as suggesting what other wires you may also want to twist. Just be careful once again not to pull on the wires near the transformers. Holding the wires near where they come through the chassis holes with one hand while twisting with the other will prevent you from twisting or pulling on the wires at the transformers.

Leave yourself plenty of wire to reach the places you need to get them to. And again, give some thought to the routing, and plan things out before you start cutting wire and soldering so that you can bundle and tie wrap the appropriate wires together for a nice clean build.

One thing that I noticed was omitted from the manuals is any mention of the "extra" wires from the power transformer. That's going to confuse some new builders, and it is something that Guytronix should consider correcting in the next edition of the manual. Just cut the wire ends off evenly (without stripping), apply some heatshrink tubing over the ends and bundle them seperately.

Another thing you may have a bit of trouble with is some of the chassis mounted star grounding points. The tabs all sit pretty flat, making it difficult to thread the wires through the holes. No big deal - just pull the nut off and gently bend the tab ends up a little bit with a couple pairs of pliers... or you can use a flathead screwdriver to bend the tips upwards a bit if you prefer. In either case, make sure the nut is tightened firmly to insure nothing comes loose and gives you grounding problems.

• Members

Phil's recommendations are valid regarding the extra primary transformer wires. The extra wires are for;

100 VAC
120 VAC
220 VAC
240 VAC

These different value windings/wires are to support any Country's AC voltage as we ship and support our kits World-wide.

Yes, select the wire that matches your Country AC voiltage and cut the rest back an inch or so, wrapping each of them in shrink-wrap or electrical tape. The color of each wire and it's AC volt application is defined in the manual ;^)

Guytronix will put a line in the manual that describes what to do with the unused primary VAC wires. Thanks, Phil, for making the documentation bullet-proof :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Richard Guy

Now, I KNOW you wanted to say "idiot-proof" but I can see where that might not be the most professional way to describe your customers! ;)

I definitely plan on picking up one of these kits sometime in the near future, so please let us know when you see a price increase on the horizon. I would've bought one earlier but I'm already backed-up with "projects" as it is and don't really need another one sitting around cluttering up the house. Do you think current prices will hold 'til, say, summertime-ish?

• Members

Hello Rog951,

Thanks for your understanding. I almost used the old Navy term, "Sailor-Proof".

Funny you should ask about a price increase. We just had one. The Kit has been at the same price for over 38 months. Increases in component, chassis, G-10 material and transformer iron drove the modest increase. If you send an email to support@guytronix.com with this request, I'll honor the original price for 45 days. None of the accessories were increased.

• Members

Hello Rog951,

Thanks for your understanding. I almost used the old Navy term, "Sailor-Proof".

Thanks for not telling that I was one of the sailors who asked this very question!

I e-mailed Rich to ask about the extra xfmr leads. He answered within hours.

• Members

Hello Dano,

No, you were not one of those bad sailors! You question was very valid and helped make the current documentation better. You did a great job building the Kit. Thanks again for being my Customer.

...just gimme a break on the price of an Ardmore when I order it... ;)

• Moderators

Here is a pic of the Gilmore Jr. atop my big amp cabinet:

Pict0058.jpg

I have this amp on loan from Rich so I didn't have to build it :D

The sound is very smooth and rich. It is much louder than a 1/2w solid-state amp that I own, which is based on the LM386 chip.

Lots of great tube tone in this little amp... AND... it loves pedals. A boost or overdrive only add to the enjoyment of this gem!

I'm sure you will enjoy it immensely, Phil.

best regards, Jack

• Members

Hello Buckeye,

Thanks for your inquiry. Phil should chime in here too as he built both Kits. My experience is that the Gilmore Jr is a bit easier to build than the Ardmore, but not significantly easier. They are both very close regarding difficulty. Currently, the Gilmore Jr has more optional tone/gain mods that are field proven. This provides for interesting experiments after the unit is built 'stock'. If it were me building for the first time, I would build the Gilmore Jr. The most important thing to remember is Electronics Safety when building/testing. The next important item is having adaquate soldering skills. I recommend that for first time builders, that they get some trashed equipment from the curb and unsolder/solder components for pratice. 60/40 or 63/37 solder, no flux and a ~ 35 to 45 Watt soldering pencil is fine.

Originally posted by Danocoustic

Hey...Rich Guy turned me on to a cool thing.

I got the 2 watt mod. It needs a tube socket adapter and a new tube.

There's an unused socket hole on the Gilmore Jr. chassis.

Rich sent me a ceramic socket to bolt into the open hole, to store the unused tube.

Very
:cool:

That IS a cool idea! :idea::thu: Actually, that might be something you might want to consider adding into the 2 watt mod kit Richard. I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate that. :)

Phil's recommendations are valid regarding the extra primary transformer wires. The extra wires are for;

100 VAC

120 VAC

220 VAC

240 VAC

These different value windings/wires are to support any Country's AC voltage as we ship and support our kits World-wide.

Yes, select the wire that matches your Country AC voiltage and cut the rest back an inch or so, wrapping each of them in shrink-wrap or electrical tape. The color of each wire and it's AC volt application is defined in the manual ;^)

Yes it is.
:)
And the fact that the transformer is capable of working with the various line voltages of different countries is a excellent feature IMO, and I'm sure it makes things easier for Guytronix too - no worries about accidentally including the "wrong" transformer when shipping overseas.

Guytronix will put a line in the manual that describes what to do with the unused primary VAC wires. Thanks, Phil, for making the documentation bullet-proof
:thu:

Well, to be fair, the documentation is already quite good.
:)
But I do feel that adding information about the extra transformer leads is a good idea that will avoid potential sail.. er, builder
;)
confusion, and I'm happy to hear that you'll be including that in the next manual revision.

Originally posted by titovanburen

is the armore loud enough to use in live situations with a rock band?

It would really depend on what you're looking for, the efficiency of the speaker(s) you'd be using, the style of music and how hard everyone else plays. I really don't think it would be appropriate for your needs if you need loud clean tones, but it might work with an AB switch as a lead amp, in conjunction with a higher powered amp for clean tones.

I'll be doing some measurements of SPL levels of both amps at various volume levels.

Also, if anyone's interested in being part of the "testing crew", please drop me an email with your contact info so we can try to get something scheduled.

Archived