Noise from Silvertone 1484 with no cable in?

Mr_GoodBomb

• Members

I just got the amp from Craigslist. With all the knobs down except the bass and treble controls on channel one, if I turn it on, it makes slowly increasing noise. If I unplug the cable and turn it off, it stops, but when I plug the cable in, guitar or not, it slowly comes back. Reverb issue? Though channel one doesn't use reverb.

• Members

You didnt describe what the nois is Hum, static, feedback etc.

If its a slow buildup It may be the reverb. Setting on top of the cab it may have a sonic feedback loop through the reverb spring. Reverb may output to the power amp section and its input is varied to add reverb. Its hard to know without looking at the schematic or actually hearing it.

I'd check the reverb pan and make sure nothings brooken or loose. Turn the reverb knobs off and see if it still happens.

Do you get any sound through the amp from your guitar before that noise builds up?

• Members

I played around with it, it starts as soon as it is turned on, but it is louder on the non-reverb channel. It doesn't get louder with the volume or tone controls, or reverb, turned up, down, or off. It gets louder with a cable plugged in, but not much. I don't have a guitar I trust; I was trying to rewire my only guitar here, so this is not the best way to check it with an amp I don't know much about. I thought maybe it was a bad tube (no spares to swap) or bad outlets, as this house has ungrounded outlets and the amp is still two prong.

Archived