Jump to content

What is dub?


justinbass
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Members

urban dictionary:

 

Dub

 

1. Abbreviaton for the letter W

2. Twenty dollars

3. Twenty dollars worth of anything, especially narcotics

4. Twenty-inch rims

5. The art of making a remix, especially a reggae song, in which the lyrics are all or partially removed and the focus is placed on the drum track and the bass

6. Generally incorrectly used as a name for any remix to any song

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Well yeah, basically reggae riddims with little to no lyrics, very heavy tone and overuse of effects, mainly compression and tape delays.

At first it was a studio trick, now with modern gear people can do it on stage and it went from a producer game to a full style.

 

Now stop reading, listen.

I tried to pick up something recent and very typical of the style at the same time.

 

Listening to dub is also a very convenient way to remove dust from your bass speakers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

http://www.myspace.com/dubtrio

 

Listen to 'Drive By Dub'. Also see: http://www.dubtrio.com/newheavy/

 

They do this stuff live. Even when they record they do it live to tape. Like JazzAd said, very heavy use of effects. Used to be studio-only remixes of reggae songs. Now bands are starting to do it live.

 

Bass tone is HEAVY!!! DEEEEEEP!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

Well yeah, basically reggae riddims with little to no lyrics, very heavy tone and overuse of effects, mainly compression and tape delays.

At first it was a studio trick, now with modern gear people can do it on stage and it went from a producer game to a full style.


Now stop reading, listen.

I tried to pick up something recent and very typical of the style at the same time.


Listening to dub is also a very convenient way to remove dust from your bass speakers.

 

 

Very nice :thu:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

They pretty much got it.

The term does originate in reggae from the Dub Plates (or b sides) that producers would create by removing the vocals or just using snippets of vocals. These could be used in dancehalls so the DJ could toast over the instrumental tracks, sort of a forrunner of rap.

It can also be characterized by echo and reverb used on the track (instruments or vocals). For early reggae dub check out King Tubby or Lee Scratch Perry.

A good recent example would be Massive Attack who have some dub influence (and the wicked Horace Andy on vocals here and there).

 

:cool:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

Although Bristol sound and trip-hop in general are heavily influenced by dub, I wouldn't say they're the same style of music.

I agree.

 

If you like dub, you should certainly check it/them out though. Or, if you're interested in hearing something similar, it certainly fits the bill.

 

For the record, you should listen to massive attack. Specifically their album Mezzanine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

The song I posted is from the band Zenzile.

They're french. Surprisingly, dub revival is very active around here and several bands are considered as very important.

There are a few songs rotating on their site, you will get a new one when you refresh.

 

For classics, Lee 'Scratch' Perry (pretty much the father of the style), the Scientist and King Tubby are major dub artists.

 

Newer bands : Mad Professor, the Disciples, Zion Train, Ez3kiel (other french band).

 

You gotta love how deep bass can get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

Although Bristol sound and trip-hop in general are heavily influenced by dub, I wouldn't say they're the same style of music.

 

Hence the "dub influence" part:)

 

Edit: For a real treat check out Mad Professor's remix of MA's Protection Album.

Mmmm, dubby:cool:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Originally posted by Jazz Ad

The song I posted is from the band
Zenzile
.

They're french. Surprisingly, dub revival is very active around here and several bands are considered as very important.

There are a few songs rotating on their site, you will get a new one when you refresh.


For classics, Lee 'Scratch' Perry (pretty much the father of the style), the Scientist and King Tubby are major dub artists.


Newer bands : Mad Professor, the Disciples, Zion Train, Ez3kiel (other french band).


You gotta love how deep bass can get.

 

Yeah, I noticed really strong dub&reggae scene in Orléans when I stayed there last summer. It was great, I stacked up on Lee Perry and Scientist stuff wich I had only seen in online stores before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...