Anyone build a new computer lately? X-fi chipset help!

• Members

The biggest problem with any Creative product (and this also includes E-Mu cards) is the drivers.

Because there's so many variants, they all use derivatives of the same code base (yes, even the E-Mu cards). And, because they're OEM in so many machines, they're written so that even if the install doesn't go perfectly, they'll still give sound. Unfortunately, this happens by associating the Creative card with everything under the sun.

The last time I uninstalled a Creative card, it was for a friend of mine. He had done a drivers only install, but the uninstall program had left behind over 300 registry keys that I had to go back and clean out by hand.

I've said it before (in fact, it used to be my sig over at KVR) and I'll say it again; friends don't let friends buy Creative...

ew

• Members

Also I would never buy a Bose product, they are about equivalent to creative in terms of quality as far as I'm concerned.

+1 Except for maybe the Quiet Comfort noise cancelling headphones.

Again, overpriced crap which is easily outperformed by cheaper alternatives. The have always had quality issues as well - not very reliable in the long term.

• Members
In what aspects? Recording from other keyboards, you mean? I'm not sure what you're getting at, but if you mean as a midi/audio interface, that's something I don't need in my setup.

Two problems I encountered with Creative : ASIO driver stability and latency

Well, I used Audigy 2 ZS to record for a while when I was a nub and the drivers would intermittenly crash or produce loud clicks/pops. All this happens on 10-20+ms of latency which is unacceptable IMO. And no it wasn't the other parts of my computer either because everything else went smoothly. It had 36GB WD Raptor 10000RPM x 2 (RAID 0), 2 GB RAM, Athlon 64 FX 51, Radeon 9800XT (all top of the line spec for heavy fragging at that time :p )

Archived