The Eventide Eclipse Loves Elektrons

syncretism

• Members
It's so satisfying to listen to a cool loop expand, spin and fold back on itself for fifteen minutes at a time, it's a wonder people actually get any work done with these things.

Doubly so when you program a modular one. That said, no regrets here.

Congrats on your purchase, and may you lovingly drown in a pool of warm shift. ;)

cheers,
Ian

• Members

I just have to keep reminding myself that I'm working on getting a live set together and any gear I assimilate has to be stage worthy. I think I'd be a little reluctant to take something this high end into a club full of beer spilling drunks but I guess that goes for the Elektron stuff too.

• Members
lofl, yeah, you shouldn't even think about posting a thread like this without mp3's already in hand.
:D

Eventide Eclipse?!
:freak:
i'm guessing you won't be needing the Lexicon then?

I don't mind the Eventide reverb, but it's still not the same as a Lexicon.

I'm getting ahead of myself, mind you. It's not like I've exhausted the possibilities of the DP/Pro and DPS-V77, either.

MP3 demo tracks?

I reckon I could put some stuff up soonish. I'm almost caught up with the day job {another reason the beats and fx are just loops going on forever, lately}.

• Members

I think all three of the units you mentioned are pretty easy to rock from the front panel, there's some fairly extensive MIDI editability in all of them.

The Eclipse is especially easy to use. It just makes a lot of sense. It's still newish to me, despite having spent time with an older Harmonizer. Like the H3000, there are certain parameters that seem like black boxes to me. I can turn the knob for like five minutes in either direction and hear no difference with some. I suspect that that will change over time, though.

• Members

also, don't under-estimate something like the Digitech StudioQuad when it comes to being controlled via midi CC. there's a handful of things out there that are pretty diverse, can't imagine how nice some of the high-end stuff must be. even the Lexicon MPX-1 is a treat as far as real-time control.

• Members
Seems like the MPX-1 goes for under $500 used. Is it worth it?

'bout any lexicon is worth the price they go for, new. or at least i'd say. they seem to do a wonderful wonderful job with their lower-end products.

before you invest, i'd look at a. how many channels you'll need simultaneously and b. what effects _specifically_ you're after. if you're just going for spatial effects you can save some kaching and buy a lower MPX.

• Members

I'm much more interested in the weirder sound design effects like what I hear of the Eventides than I am in high quality stock effects like reverb. I think I'd just grab an Eventide tomorrow if cash weren't the issue but those things are definitely an investment.

Seems like there are some good deals out there on the top-flight units of yesteryear though.

• Members
How programmable/playable are these higher end multi effects boxes like the Fireworx, Eclipse and DP/Pro? Can you control them with midi ccs? Is there enough menu digging on a tiny screen that lazy people like me would just use presets?

Dunno about the eclipse, but the fireworx is very good on external control, particular intergrating is control into say the performance controls of some arbitary synth.

You can basically define a bunch of CC controls on the thing (ie you tell it what CC numbers you want it to respond to) then route them to whatever controllable parameters you want to in your fx matrix. The only limit really is that not all parameters on a fireworx are modulatable - ie some are edit only.

Once setup, then as an example, using the performance controls (knobs + pedals) on a Fusion synth to control a fireworx feels just as integrated as using those controls to control the internal fx of the fusion.

Anthor option is using a knob/slider box to control it.

You can downlaod manuals for the fireworx (and eclipse I think) from the manufacturer web sites - worth a read to see how the mod routing and fx matrix in these things work.

Cant speak for the eventitide, but one weakness of the fireworx is thats its reverbs do take alot of CPU -so can be worth having an additional reveb box with SPDIF in/out on it so you can stick the reverb box on its digital insert loop and free up CPU for other modules - I use a TC M-One XL for this sometimes.