Talk me IN TO/OUT OF sanding back/refinishing my PRS

Johansolo

• Members

cheers guys.

RE the maple top? id assume it was because of the binding (arent PRS known for its faux maple top bindings)

anways...im undecided on what to do at this stage .some good advice on here.

id like to just sand the top and let the wood breathe, not fussed if its fancy flames or quilt as i like the look of alder grain too.

it is a gamble isnt it.

i may take it to my luthier next time it needs a service and ask what he thinks can/cant/should be done and more importantly $$$

• Members

Before you do all that you should consider cream pickup rings and amber knobs. Those black rings are killing it.

originally came with creme pup rings, but they didnt match the zebra coils. i have them around thou.

amber knobs thou...hmmm great suggestion

• Members

Leave it. You might have more luck selling it than you think. My experience is that the fancier PRSs are basically unsellable for any kind of sane money right now. But I have a silver Standard 22 that's beat to {censored} from years of gigging and people go nuts for it every time I post a picture. I think they like the idea of a PRS that looks like someone actually entertained other humans with. Plus a refin will totally destroy any collector's value it might yet have.

• Members

Does anyone know how nice the maple looks underneath?

I was actually in the same situation earlier this year. I had a CE 24 in a green metallic finish with metallic flakes in the finish. Great guitar but I have always preferred 24 fret PRS guitars..I ended up selling it for 1k earlier this year. It was the best move I've ever made as I'm 100% happy with my Custom 22 and have been for months, which is rare for me. I've found a keeper. I say if you aren't 100% happy with a guitar, clean yours up a bit, sell it and get the one you want.

• Members

cheers guys.

RE the maple top? id assume it was because of the binding (arent PRS known for its faux maple top bindings)

I assumed this as well, my Black CE-24 body that I bought had the same natural binding. I sold it, and the buyer stripped it down and it was 100% Alder underneath, no maple top. Alder looked nice though...

Archived