Talk me IN TO/OUT OF sanding back/refinishing my PRS

Johansolo

• Members

its a 1990 Plain Jane Black Alder body w./maple top CE24

its been my no.1 player, and its got a lot of battle scars

i have the urge to sand back the top...mainly because im curious if theres any figured maple underneath. if yeah, i would like to stain it, or leave it natural.

if not, ill get it painted over/or swirl.

contemplating sanding the back as well or just leaving it

DSC00094.jpg

DSC00096.jpg

DSC00097.jpg

anyone attempted something like this before and achieved good results/not ruined their guitar. what am i up against?

any hints/tips? im not opposed to put in the sanding work myself and paying a luthier to stain/paint/finish it.

this one is my go-to guitar and one of my favourites...she either deserves to be retired or have a makeover

talk me into/out of it...

• Members

man, just leave it alone. cleaning it might help... but unless you want to piss away it's entire value, i'd probably leave it alone.

see i dont think its worth much to sell in its current state(i have contemplated this as i wouldnt mind a fancy pants PRS...something like the johnny hiland as the specs just scream out to me, but part of me doesnt like pretty guitars...they hurt more when they ding)

• Members

also its hard to see/photograph the flaws in the finished, theres a few scratches (nothing major) a few chips and a few dings and some of hte edges have this peeling/finish lifting affect. (on the top)

the back is just as bad, but everyone focuses on the huge buckle rash (the only thing i didnt do to hte guitar...previous owner)

• Members

see i dont think its worth much to sell in its current state(i have contemplated this as i wouldnt mind a fancy pants PRS...something like the johnny hiland as the specs just scream out to me, but part of me doesnt like pretty guitars...they hurt more when they ding)

Yeah, as much as it's a 1990, it's not in 'great' shape, and it's a CE, so, it really wouldn't command top dollar at all in it's current state. If it were an '87 Custom, in pristine shape, that would be a different story.

• Members

ask yourself.

Do you LOVE the way it plays/sounds?

Or, are you just bored with it, and feel like painting/altering it?

would you miss it if you sold it?

would you ever want to sell it?

If you don't completely love the way it sounds/plays, sell it exactly the way it is.

i love how it plays and sounds, i love the neck as its nice and worn in.

this guitar has cursed me from buying a $$$$ CU24 as im so used to it. its made me realised i dont like finished(overly glossy) set necks

would i miss it if i sold it...yeah...at first, but i dont get that sentimentally attached to gear. would i ever want to sell it? only to replace it with another prs (like the johnny hiland or a DGT)

i guess it comes down to boredom/itchy hands syndrome.

im not a tard and pretty handy (woodwork.electronics) but of course...

id prefer NOT to ruin it,

• Members

I'd just leave it. Refinishing it might change the way it sounds, and would detract from the resale value.

I have a Tremonti SE in the Platinum finish (same color as duct tape!) and I don't like the color, but am afraid to see what lies under that urethane coating. Judging from what I see inside the control cavities, it might not be pretty.

Granted, my MIK PRS isn't in the same league . . ..

• Members

Hard to say, but next tax return season I bet you could find someone willing to pay extra for it being a '90 PRS with the small heal. The finish being black though, may not be a big deal compared to a nice translucent finish.

I'd say hold on to it until the market is back up again, sell it and get what you want :thu:

• Members

i believe a painted guitar body,might not resonate,like a natural,unpainted piece of wood. when painted,you are wrapping a shell,or coats o paint,how can the wood remain rosonate,or ring out naturally? i myself heard an old electo-harmonix 4x12 cab,it came with a light coat o stain on it as the cab co. wanted the wood-combined with the speakers to sound natural. they didnt want to,say stifel it with a wrapping o tolex. i would strip of alll the paint and fly al-natural!!! g-luck...

• Members

I'd sand it and refin with some nitro.

Stewmac makes spray-can nitro that should make the job fairly easy.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishing_supplies/Colors,_tints,_and_stains/ColorTone_Aerosol_Guitar_Lacquers/ColorTone_Tinted_Aerosol_Guitar_Lacquer.html

That guitar probably doesn't have much value as-is, so, find out what's under there. Worst case, you paint it black and it looks new again, and sell it on ebay as a refin.