Mt. Dew/Dt. Mt. Dew drinkers beware...

willy22

• Members
"Can I have 2 Big Macs, large fries...and a diet Coke?"
:rolleyes::facepalm:

I hate that diet taste...but some people say they get used to it.

I don't drink soft drink anymore unless mixing it with some alcohol very occasionally, but I always prefered pepsi max to pepsi. Coke was always better than diet coke though.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
There is a possibility that Aspartame can make you gain weight among its other side effects. Which makes loads of sense, seeing as it's for diabetics.
:rolleyes:

Actually, Splenda is the first artificial sweetener developed to be an artificial sweetener. All the others were "happy accidents." Think about that for a moment. :facepalm:

• Members

If you're really worried about the effects of aspartame, read an actual scientific study on how aspartame breaks down in the body

at the web page of University of Wisconsin

(In a nut shell, it's harmless in soft drinks. It can produce harmful chemicals but conditions for that are high temperature, wrong pH etc. The study suggests that you'd have to drink between 600 to 1700 cans of soda in one go to accumulate enough methanol from the aspartame to have any ill effects.)

Actually, Splenda is the first artificial sweetener developed to be an artificial sweetener. All the others were "happy accidents." Think about that for a moment.
:facepalm:

So were antibiotics.

And do you think a scientist just one day mixed a random chemical in a lab and thought to himself "hmm, this tastes sweet. let's use it as a sweetener".

I'd think they studied it's effects a bit more after it's discovery rather than just started using a random chemical in foods and drinks.

• Members
And FWIW, you shouldn't even be drinking soda that much anyway.

Try water
:idea:

I don't drink a lot of soda.

I have generally 6 "servings" of water daily. 6 8-ounce glasses)

I also talked my coworker OUT of dumping those packets of "tea" into his water bottle. I said "just drink the water dude".

• Members
So were antibiotics.

And do you think a scientist just one day mixed a random chemical in a lab and thought to himself "hmm, this tastes sweet. let's use it as a sweetener".

I'd think they studied it's effects a bit more after it's discovery rather than just started using a random chemical in foods and drinks.

No, I don't. But, you might remember that until the early 2000's, Sweet & Low still contained cancer warnings on it because the prevailing scientific research until that time believed that saccharin was carcinogenic in humans because it caused bladder cancer in lab rats. Honestly though, none of the artificial sweeteners taste as good as real sugar. Splenda is absolutely horrid in anything but warm drinks like tea. Stevia does do a really good job of coming close, and it's not artificial. I still love the fact that until very recently, it was illegal to use Stevia as a food additive in the US, and therefore illegal to advertise as a sweetener, but you could use/buy it as a supplement. :facepalm:

• Members
Actually, Splenda is the first artificial sweetener developed to be an artificial sweetener. All the others were "happy accidents." Think about that for a moment.
:facepalm:

Penicillin, champagne, corn flakes, Microwave Ovens, Potato chips and play-doh were all also "accidents".
Most things we humans DO are accidents that someone else runs with.

• Members

lots of people are allergic to aspartame. Gives major headaches and vertigo.

This I can 100% confirm from experience. I'm a pretty big dude - go about 270 pounds & am always trying to cut out sugar from my diet, and drink alot of diet soda. A few years ago, I pretty much only drank diet soda - never could stand water with meals. Anyways, I'd estimate I drank at least one - 2 liter bottle of diet coke a day (probably more). This went on for years. Finally, I started to get brutal migrane headaches, almost daily. Never ever got them before. It was almost debilitating & really affected my work. I got a bleeding ulcer from all the ibuprofen I was taking. I had every test done in the book & the docs were stumped. A friend told me he read someplace that diet soda's with aspartame can cause headaches.

I really cut back on the diet soda's & the headaches mysteriously went away. I still drink Pepsi ONE & Weight Watchers diet soda because they are the only one's I found which have Splenda ... no ill effects so far. I try to drink water as much as I can, and occasional juice or sweat tea (don't need the sugar) ... but I just can't deal with water with meals. So, thats my story ... hope somebody will get something from it...

HT

• Members
That {censored} is even worse. Just look at what it is made of. If I recall correctly, there were only about 6 studies done on its safety.

No {censored}! Look at what SALT is made of!!! Chlorine? Holy {censored}, thats a poisonous gas! Sodium?! {censored} me, thats an exploding metal!!! Jesus Christ everyone boycott salt! That {censored} will kill you dead. :mad:

• Members

This I can 100% confirm from experience. I'm a pretty big dude - go about 270 pounds & am always trying to cut out sugar from my diet, and drink alot of diet soda. A few years ago, I pretty much only drank diet soda - never could stand water with meals. Anyways, I'd estimate I drank at least one - 2 liter bottle of diet coke a day (probably more). This went on for years. Finally, I started to get brutal migrane headaches, almost daily. Never ever got them before. It was almost debilitating & really affected my work. I got a bleeding ulcer from all the ibuprofen I was taking. I had every test done in the book & the docs were stumped. A friend told me he read someplace that diet soda's with aspartame can cause headaches.

I really cut back on the diet soda's & the headaches mysteriously went away. I still drink Pepsi ONE & Weight Watchers diet soda because they are the only one's I found which have Splenda ... no ill effects so far. I try to drink water as much as I can, and occasional juice or sweat tea (don't need the sugar) ... but I just can't deal with water with meals. So, thats my story ... hope somebody will get something from it...

HT

I have heard things like this though. Some people are sensitive to it. Just like Lewis Black said "Whats good for one of ya will kill the person sitting next to you".

• Members
No {censored}! Look at what SALT is made of!!! Chlorine? Holy {censored}, thats a poisonous gas! Sodium?! {censored} me, thats an exploding metal!!! Jesus Christ everyone boycott salt! That {censored} will kill you dead.
:mad:

Chloride.

Take a chemistry course for godsakes!

Sodium CHLORIDE. :mad::rolleyes:

The difference between an "n" and a "d"...*could* be somewhat important.:rolleyes:

"Chlorine"...lol...you're not smarter than a 5th grader, howz it feel? But nice try on ATTEMPTING to make a joke that makes you look that dumb. LOL for real.

• Members

Chloride.

Take a chemistry course for godsakes!

Sodium CHLORIDE.
:mad::rolleyes:

The difference between an "n" and a "d"...*could* be somewhat important.
:rolleyes:

"Chlorine"...lol...you're not smarter than a 5th grader, howz it feel? But nice try on ATTEMPTING to make a joke that makes you look that dumb. LOL for real.

Wow really?

The word chloride can also refer to a chemical compound in which one or more chlorine atoms are covalently bonded in the molecule.

Salt = A chemical compound of Sodium and Chlorine. :facepalm::facepalm:

• Members

I have heard things like this though. Some people are sensitive to it. Just like Lewis Black said "Whats good for one of ya will kill the person sitting next to you".

Yeah, but I'm afraid in my case it probably wasn't a sensitivity, it was pure overexposure over a long period of time, and I had to purge the accumulation of whatever chemicals are in it from my system.

Archived