How much is a 1963 Gibson J-45 worth?

cpeck

• Members

From the pics, it looks like it is in mint condition. Someone is offering it to me in a trade for my 2004 Fender Jazzmaster....

I don't know the exact value of a 63 J45, but I'm pretty sure that it's worth much more than a 2004 Jazzmaster.

I'm guessing your Jazzmaster is worth around 600 (used)?

I think a 1963 J45 would be worth ~ 2k (a mint one might be worth more, though).

I guess anything's possible, but some things seem less likely than others.

Needless to say, :freak:.

:freak:.

• Members

You can see some pics here....are there many counterfeit Gibson's going around?

I don't know about counterfeits, but you should note that a J45 should have a sunburst finish. The one in that pic might be a J50, or a refinished J45, or something else. I'll let the experts here chime in. That's pretty much all I can say about this.

EDIT: At least I think that all J45s should have a sunburst finish.

• Members

that seems to be a j-50 in the photo.....unless it's been stripped and refinished....a '63 j-45 would most likely be "red" sunburst - with the red sandwiched between coats of clear.....if it's a stripped j-45, its value has been greatly diminished.....is your Fender an American built one?....if so, they may be closer to equal value....

• Members

per Blue Book-

J-45

- slope shouldered body, spruce top, round soundhole, tortoiseshell pickguard, three-stripe bound body/rosette, mahogany back/sides/neck, 14/19 (pre-war) or 14/20-fret rosewood fingerboard with pearl dot inlay, rosewood bridge with black pins, three-per-side nickel tuners with pearl buttons, available in Sunburst finish, mfg. 1942-1985.

(1960-1964)

excellent: $2,500 - $3,000

avg: $1,400 - $1,750

• Members

I have never seen a J45 that color.....and I've seen many of them.

What bothers me more is the J45 Adj Bridge label in the guitar.....that is not an adjustable bridge...and the area under the nut on the headstock doesnt look right.....slight crack? Also I don't like the angle of the bridge...it may be the photo, but it doesnt look right.

Therefore:

I would guess the bridge, the finish and the pick guard to all have been replacements.....

So what does that mean?

Well, it could still be a nice guitar....and if they did all that work, it may not need a neck reset.

It boils down to how much you want your guitar....I would sell the Jazzmaster outright and bargain on the Gibby. A place called "Stevie B's" in St.Pete or Clearwater would buy that from you in a second...I would give them a call...they have a really good market for them.

ps...you could call "legends" in Tampa on Hillsborough ave...they deal in collectable fenders and Gibsons.

• Members

I have never seen a J45 that color.....and I've seen many of them.

What bothers me more is the J45 Adj Bridge label in the guitar.....that is not an adjustable bridge...and the area under the nut on the headstock doesnt look right.....slight crack? Also I don't like the angle of the bridge...it may be the photo, but it doesnt look right.

Therefore:

I would guess the bridge, the finish and the pick guard to all have been replacements.....

So what does that mean?

Well, it could still be a nice guitar....and if they did all that work, it may not need a neck reset.

It boils down to how much you want your guitar....I would sell the Jazzmaster outright and bargain on the Gibby. A place called "Stevie B's" in St.Pete or Clearwater would buy that from you in a second...I would give them a call...they have a really good market for them.

ps...you could call "legends" in Tampa on Hillsborough ave...they deal in collectable fenders and Gibsons.

Thanks a bunch. I don't really want the Gibson per se - I'm wondering if I could flip it for more than my Jazzmaster is worth.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

For the person on here that say's he's never seen a J-45 that color,  I have one just like it. My Dad bought it new and it has been played at least a million times by me and him. The face is rippled from sound waves and sounds more amazing than it did new. I know it needs to be re fretted, but I hate to touch an original.

I don't have a current picture, but I assure you exactly like the one in picture.

Hope this helps.

Archived