Mojave Audio

• Members

I have to say that I really like these microphones. I've had an MA-200 (their tube-based large diaphragm condensor) for a couple of months now it's just a solid mic. Nice, full-bodied sound and the top end manages to be present without sounding brittle or harsh.

It has rapidly become the first mic I reach for with most singers. Now, that's probably not as impressive as it would be if I had a bigger mic collection, but still.

I like it so much that I decided to give their solid-state version, the MA-201fet, a try. I've only had a chance to use it on a couple of demo session so far, but it has a lot of the same characteristics I like so much about the MA-200. It has a good presence in the lower mids and a little less high end than the 200. It responds well to EQ. So far I've used it on vocals and drum overhead. Next I'm considering trying it on kick, and I'd like to hear how it sounds on acoustic guitar, too.

I'm impressed enough with the 200 and 201, though, that I've ordered a pair of the MA-101fet small diaphragm condensors. Right now my small-diaphragm choices are a pair of Rode NT5 mics and a pair of AKG C430 mics. I keep the AKGs in the live rig to use as drum mics when they're needed - they have a really boosted top end and while they can sound good on drums that's not really what I'm looking for out of my recordings right now. So really the Rodes are my go-to SDCs. It will be interesting to see if the Mojave mics can change my mind there. :)

And with that my tax refund is spent, so it'll probably be a little while before I order anything else for the studio, barring some breakage or maintenance costs. ;) Anyway, I just thought I'd share my thoughts. Has anyone else used these mics? I know they've come up in discussion here, especially the MA-200, but I haven't read anything here about the 101fet as far as I remember. The 201 doesn't seem to get a ton of press either, but it's a pretty darn good choice for a large-diaphragm cardioid condensor. Especially considering that it costs under $700.

• Members

I've read a review of the MA-200. Any mic that has Royer influence sounds like a winner to me. :lol:

The only thing I thought would be an issue is the Chinese thing, but my guess is Royer wouldn't associate with crap quality stuff so... yeah!

• Members

I've read a review of the MA-200. Any mic that has Royer influence sounds like a winner to me.
:lol:

The only thing I thought would be an issue is the Chinese thing, but my guess is Royer wouldn't associate with crap quality stuff so... yeah!

If I didn't know that the capsules were made in China (I'm not sure about the rest of the mic) I certainly would never be able to guess from using it. It's a solid microphone.

• Members

I bought an MA-200 not too long ago and have absolutely LOVED it. Granted, it's my first really nice mic, so it sounds considerably better than what I had been working with previously, but I've really loved the way it sounds on both vocals and acoustic guitar. I used it to record shaker too and it worked great in that application as well. Can't say enough good things about it so far. The only negative is that I felt the shockmount that came with it could have been a little nicer/sturdier.

• Members

I just looked up the 201 on Sweetwater. Totally tempted, especially since it works better for sibilant voices (ie- ME).
:love:

If you're anywhere near north Alabama, you're welcome to come by and try mine out before you purchase one.

• Members

If you're anywhere near north Alabama, you're welcome to come by and try mine out before you purchase one.

I'm in Southern Ohio, is that close enough? :p

On paper it sounds perfect for me. IRL, who knows? I'm pretty sure that the mic itself won't sound bad... that's up to me. :o

• Members

I'm really excited. I haven't had a New Mic Day in awhile and this is the most expensive one I've ever purchased, so I'm a bit nervous.
:o

I think you'll like it. :) I don't have a ton of expensive mics but I have a couple around the four-figure mark (a Microtech-Gefell MT-71S and a BLUE Woodpecker), and the Mojave mics compare well with either of them. They're solid.

• Members

I think you'll like it.
:)
I don't have a ton of expensive mics but I have a couple around the four-figure mark (a Microtech-Gefell MT-71S and a BLUE Woodpecker), and the Mojave mics compare well with either of them. They're solid.

I have a new guitar today that I can't wait to record with it! :D

David and the folks at Mojave have offered to bring their mikes by for me to have a listen to here in my studio - I'm going to have to take them up on that one of these days... I've only heard them at trade shows, but from what I could tell there, they sounded very good.

• Members

David and the folks at Mojave have offered to bring their mikes by for me to have a listen to here in my studio - I'm going to have to take them up on that one of these days... I've only heard them at trade shows, but from what I could tell there, they sounded very good.

Would def. be interested in your opinion. :)

• Members

When you get the chance please do. I don't know how they compare to vintage Neumann mics or anything like that, but they certainly match up well with other offerings in the price range ... or above.

• Members

Phil- If Dusty Wakeman is one of the guys to come by from Mojave, and you want to make him smile, tell him one of your forum regulars says he's a big Felix Fly fan!

I guarantee he'll laugh at that.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Ok, I was having a bitch of a time getting anything good tonite... not because of the mic, but I was just off.

Piano is one of my mum's piano students playing at the end of her lesson. I picked up the mic a couple of times and I split the one long clip so you can hear how I moved it... you can even hear me adjusting it a bit on the track, but I didn't have time for any really detailed piano clips. Also, all of the clips with the exception of the one marked Wet are all without compression, eq, verb, etc. It's the sound of the instrument in the space it's in.

Clip One is about three feet away from Middle C at the end of the piano, lid fully open:

http://andymclain.com/logic9clips/mics/MA201fetpiano1.mp3

Clip Two is over the treble side, lid open, and the mic slightly angled towards the bass strings:

http://andymclain.com/logic9clips/mics/MA201fetpiano2.mp3

Clip Three is about 5 feet away from the piano, angled right to towards the curve in the body, lid fully open:

http://andymclain.com/logic9clips/mics/MA201fetpiano3.mp3

MA201fet w/Godin 5th Avenue

http://andymclain.com/logic9clips/mics/MA201Godin.mp3

MA201fet on Vox of an original song (Dry):

http://andymclain.com/logic9clips/mics/MA201NarthexVoxDry.mp3

MA201fet on Vox of an original song (Wet):

http://andymclain.com/logic9clips/mics/MA201NarthexVoxWet.mp3

EDIT: Fixed broken links.

• Members

Nice. :) Enjoying the mic so far, then? I used one of the new 101fet SDCs on an acoustic part the other day and it sounded very good. Of course, part of that was due to the fact that it was a good player with a Martin, but I like to think the mic helped... :D

• Members

Nice.
:)
Enjoying the mic so far, then? I used one of the new 101fet SDCs on an acoustic part the other day and it sounded very good. Of course, part of that was due to the fact that it was a good player with a Martin, but I like to think the mic helped...
:D

I actually haven't gotten anything new done. I'd been working so hard the past few weeks that I've given myself a little bit of a pressure break. Plan to get back to work mid-April and really put it to use. :)

• 2 months later...

Archived