Do You Pilot Here, and Pile it There?

• CMS Author

I just got this press release from the Flying Musicians Association for musicians who also are pilots. Check out their web site if you're a flyer.

Flying Musicians to Land at Music and Aviation Events
--RSVP Now for Earliest Festival--

Fort Worth, Texas – March 18, 2010: The Flying Musicians Association, Inc., a non-profit organization, will land at several well-known music venues this spring: MerleFest in April and the Kerrville (TX) Folk Festival in May/June. Both are well-established, with over 70,000 patrons. In addition, FMA has committed to the celebrations at the Cowtown Warbird Roundup (Ft. Worth, May 22-23) and the DFW Summer Balloon Classic & Airfest (June 11-13).

MerleFest, in Wilkesboro (NC), is an annual celebration of the traditonal music of the Appalachian Region plus whatever additional styles the attendees are in the mood for. The Flying Musicians are teaming up with the Wilkes Flying Club to establish a new venue by creating a campground at the Wilkes County Airport from April 25 through May 2nd. Primitive camping is available with a main canopy/tent for refreshments, socializing, hangar chat and, of course, jamming. Shuttle service to the festival grounds will be provided. Camping and services are free to FMA members; others will be charged a nominal fee consistent with other camping venues during the festival. Viewing the festival from above is fascinating and adds a new perspective. The Flying Musicians have created an atmosphere where enthusiasts of both aviation and music can converge to share their passions while enjoying a great music festival! That’s MerleFest 2010.

For MerleFest, an RSVP is required to reserve tiedown and camping spots.
Contact John@flyingmusicians.org for reservations.

Good news: MerleFest has extended the Early Bird Discount Ticket Prices to April 6.

Sponsors of this event are: the Wilkes Chamber of Commerce, Wilkes County Airport, and Dove Aviation.

The Flying Musicians Association, Inc. took off in 2009 by blending two passions: flying and music. FMA was founded by two pilot/musicians, John Zapp and Aileen Hummel, who have made it their quest to encourage, promote, educate and support these two passions. The mission of the organization: “Pilot Musicians sharing their passion while encouraging and educating youth in the science and art of aeronautics and music.”

John Zapp
John@FlyingMusicians.org

Aileen Hummel
Aileen@FlyingMusicians.org

For more information about Flying Musicians, please visit http://www.FlyingMusicians.org.

• Members

I haven't flown in years, but really used to enjoy taking customers and friends up for short rides. I learned to fly after selling a large corporate av system (about $500,000 worth) in 1982. In doing my research I found that I could rent a plane and an instructor for the day for a cheaper cost than flying to the job (in Wausau, Ws) in a commercial aircraft. I learned flying back and forth from Minneapolis to Wausau. Once I felt comfortable I started taking friends and the occasional customer for rides. It was good fun for all. I took Nick St. Nicholas up once and he was like a kid in a candy store. He had flown in private jets before when he was bass player with Steppenwolf, but never in a little 2-4 seater. Nick worked at the same pro audio shop as me for a short while. We went up in a Cessna 172 which, along with a Grumann Tiger, was my normal rental plane. The last time I flew was probably about 1993 or so. :(

• Members

Hey! The plane in the background is a WWII era B-25 Mitchell. My dad logged countless hours in those during WWII and Korea... and he played guitar, so I guess he was a flying musician.

I took some flight lessons on the base where my dad was stationed when I was a teen, but I don't think that makes me a flying musician.

• Members
I haven't flown in years, but really used to enjoy taking customers and friends up for short rides. I learned to fly after selling a large corporate av system (about $500,000 worth) in 1982. In doing my research I found that I could rent a plane and an instructor for the day for a cheaper cost than flying to the job (in Wausau, Ws) in a commercial aircraft. I learned flying back and forth from Minneapolis to Wausau. Once I felt comfortable I started taking friends and the occasional customer for rides. It was good fun for all. I took Nick St. Nicholas up once and he was like a kid in a candy store. He had flown in private jets before when he was bass player with Steppenwolf, but never in a little 2-4 seater. Nick worked at the same pro audio shop as me for a short while. We went up in a Cessna 172 which, along with a Grumann Tiger, was my normal rental plane. The last time I flew was probably about 1993 or so.
:(

Is that the single engine Cessna with the high wing?
I jumped out of that plane several times - many moons ago.
We parachuted into a cow pasture that had electric fences running through it. This made it extra fun.

• Members
Is that the single engine Cessna with the high wing?

I jumped out of that plane several times - many moons ago.

We parachuted into a cow pasture that had electric fences running through it. This made it extra fun.

One of several Cessna's with high wings. That's sort of their style. They are popular with people who jump out of perfectly good airplanes. I even did it once, but not out of a Cessna (I don't think). You've got a PM. :thu: