The Next Step Up

• Members

Earlier this year I upgraded my PA quite a bit, with a LOT of help from the fine folks of this forum.

Previously I had a small powered head and two Yorkville NX35s. I now have a MixWiz 16 as a board, I power the NX35s with a QSCGX5, put in a crossover, and bought two of the small powered Yorkville LS200P subs. Being an acoustic act, this has worked out very well. The subs were just enough to handle adding a bass player and putting some thump in the hand percussion. The system overall has given us more overall volume to work with, was affordable at the time, and still fits in my car. I kept my powered head and still use that system for smaller solo and duo gigs.

Thinking forward to next year, we're looking at expanding to a full band and chasing some bigger private party type gigs. I'm wondering what the "next step up" would mean for us in terms of sound reinforcement.

-The mixer is great and we have plenty of room to grow. That's one of the reasons I went ahead and got the MixWiz.

-The NX35s and QSC amp will likely be relegated to monitor duty.

-For smaller acoustic gigs, I'd probably still keep the smaller system with those small subs.

So, from a speaker perspective, what types of systems should I be looking at that would give us a nice step up from this system? Ideally, I'd like to think about going with a matching powered/active system to eliminate the need to worry about amp matching, crossover points, etc.

Obviously, upgrading those little subs would be the biggest improvement. 

Would something like the PRX612s or PRX615sover the PRX618s be a big step up? Or would the 612's more or less be more of a lateral move from the NX35s? Or should I be looking at something more like the PRX635s over the PRX618s? I'm not specifically tied to JBL or anything. Just using them as an example. I'd be fine with that, QSC, Yorkville, etc. I'd probably be hunting and pecking and buying pieces used. I'm not in a huge rush - it will be next year. I'd also be looking at having to invest in a trailer as well.

Budget? I know that would be a question. Just a guess, I'm thinking about $2k-3k. Again, that's a wild guess since I don't really know what I truthfully want or need. Could be a lot more or a lot less, depending on what the coming year holds.

Also, I've read about avoiding stuff like RCF if you're trying to chase down private work because of the looks of the cabinet design. Is that a serious concern?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I went and took a look at the new PRX700 series today. They do look slick.

On the downside, my next "step up" is definitely going to have to be a van or trailer. No way those PRX718XLF subs are even going to think about fitting in my back seat. They look a LOT bigger than that EWI case I bought, which takes two people and a little bit of luck to get into my car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You mention Yorkville, does that mean you are in Canada or close to a Yorkville Dealer?

If you are in Canada you're going to pay a fair bit for JBL stuff whereas the EV and Yamaha might be better deals - of course, it depends. Also if you're not worried about weight, wide dispersion, and/or the latest trends, used EF500P's are going for "cheap". But note that there's no official crossover in that configuration. Anyway, I've used two EF500P's and one LS720P and filled a large high school gym with recorded music.

IMHO your main objective in your upgrade will be to find something that "throws" better and can handle more volume. Naturally there are lots of speaker choices in the QSC, JBL, Yamaha, EV, RCF offerings.  Just thought I'd mention used - seems to be my latest kick.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

612 over 618xlf is a step up, the dsr112 over the DSR 18 is also a step up but heavier. New, the prx700 series is another option. All look good for casuals and corporate.

^

This or as dcaster mention the RCF are great quality cabs or maybe PRX 710s over 715XLF would save some space and not sacrfice to much SPL coverage.   Anyways hit up Mike Pyle over at Auidopyle.com which can hook up with great deal. 

Archived