New Restaurant/Bar Crappy Sound Install - wHy?!?

• Members

So, I just walked down to check out a new restaurant downtown where previously a row of abandoned retail spaces sat (mostly to check out the result of the $35K CDBG grant we just gave them to add jobs downtown) and the food was good, the bar attractive and inviting, and the almost finished dining area was having an identity crisis... subway tile around the columns, faux barn wood floor, one gigantic wall with 2' tall horizontal kelly green and white stripes, and crazy geometric pattrn backed chairs... but to be fair it wasn't completely finished.

What ruined my meal however was looking up and seeing how they had done sound for the place. On opposite sides of the two main support columns for the fairly open space they had strapped a pair of MTX "Thunder Pro 2" passive 12" 2-ways... ugh. Black rat fur, gray grills w/ exposed horns suspended above the subway tile on the poles by what looked like picture hanging eye screws and toilet tank flapper chain.

Why Lord, WHY?!?... do some people think they can do this stuff? They're probably also running them series/parallel off an old Crate guitar amp that someone had sitting around. :-

• Members

monthlymixcd wrote:

So, I just walked down to check out a new restaurant downtown where previously a row of abandoned retail spaces sat (mostly to check out the result of the $35K CDBG grant we just gave them to add jobs downtown) and the food was good, the bar attractive and inviting, and the almost finished dining area was having an identity crisis... subway tile around the columns, faux barn wood floor, one gigantic wall with 2' tall horizontal kelly green and white stripes, and crazy geometric pattrn backed chairs... but to be fair it wasn't completely finished.

What ruined my meal however was looking up and seeing how they had done sound for the place. On opposite sides of the two main support columns for the fairly open space they had strapped a pair of MTX "Thunder Pro 2" passive 12" 2-ways... ugh. Black rat fur, gray grills w/ exposed horns suspended above the subway tile on the poles by what looked like picture hanging eye screws and toilet tank flapper chain.

Why Lord, WHY?!?... do some people think they can do this stuff? They're probably also running them series/parallel off an old Crate guitar amp that someone had sitting around. :-

Trivia question? MTX used to have a lifetime warranty and can handle 1.6 gigawatts of power?

• Members

That seems to be the mentality trying to get a sound gig these days.

Everyone wants cheap

I had a friend contact me yesterday for a Pearl Harbor day thing at the veterans state home here.

They wanted a system to cover two large rooms for a podium thing/ceremony at 9:30am in the morning.

I told him I would do it for 300.00.  Cheap right?

He said the woman responsible for setting this thing up decided that is to much and they are going

to purchase a sound system.

"Cheap" is getting cheaper these days.

• Members

If those speakers are for nothing more than quiet background music for diners, what's the point in spending 500-1k on a speaker? (although, if they bought 12"s maybe not??). How the elevator music sounds won't ruin the experience for most diners walking though the door. 

The only time super cheap speakers bug me is when a bar spends several thousand dollars on TVs and buys the two cheapest speakers they can get their hands on (and they use them for live music :facepalm:

*edit* just went to find the facepalm icon... and :smiley-wtf: is with the emoticons....?

• Members

I was recently invited to a night slub me to help figure out the cause of what burned all the speakers .... awful equipment .... The owner of the club in despair. Supplies sold it for a good price, but it turned out it cheap. Mini Mixer shock hit me from the body! Exceeded the power amplifier speakers to 4 times! about resistance no one even knew what it was. . Stamped Chinese speakers at $ 10 apiece, unmarked ....   Enjoyed this equipment DJ ...... I think that says it all ...

Archived