Sign in to follow this  
45below

Opinions on Peavey SP1 and Mark IV

I got a chuckle out of the Klipsch LaScala comparison. The LaScala's weren't designed as a PA speaker. For their day they were a hell of a home/danceclub box. But they weigh in at just over 150 lbs themselves. They did have a 3 (or more) box PA setup available,but it was rediculously expensive compared to a lot of boxes.The LaScala's were also capable of being run with 200 WPC (pro version) and extremely efficient for their day.If I recall correctly they were something like 105db at 1 watt. Of course they may have used magic measurements, by they screamed with minimum power.

I've had a pair of  SP-2s since the early '80s and always thought they had enough "heft" in their sound,  and when they're EQ'ed right they sound clear and have a good "throw"... now, Ive gotten a set of monster SP-1s to put the SP-2's on top of.  Yes, they're huge and heavy... but when you're playing ground-shaking Rock it can be just what the doctor ordered.  The durability for long-term wear of these cabinets is amazing. In 37 years of use, I've only had to replace 1 22-A driver and 1 backside crossover/input/output "box".  ...I like the sound and the look of them - for an "economical" price they deliver a lot of decibels... better have some strong roadies if you want to move'm around, though.

18 hours ago, MstroBill said:

I've had a pair of  SP-2s since the early '80s and always thought they had enough "heft" in their sound,  and when they're EQ'ed right they sound clear and have a good "throw"... now, Ive gotten a set of monster SP-1s to put the SP-2's on top of.  Yes, they're huge and heavy... but when you're playing ground-shaking Rock it can be just what the doctor ordered.  The durability for long-term wear of these cabinets is amazing. In 37 years of use, I've only had to replace 1 22-A driver and 1 backside crossover/input/output "box".  ...I like the sound and the look of them - for an "economical" price they deliver a lot of decibels... better have some strong roadies if you want to move'm around, though.

I had the sp1"split" ( MFx-1 and FH-1 sub)  Something that sounded good was FH-1 sub - SP2A-Mfx-1 horn on top. The whole load was 4 ohms and they sounded , for what they were , pretty good. This was in the late 80's , early 90's. Seen in this 1991 brightened picture. The box was a SP1 split by someone and the crossover out to feed to the sub was in the horn box.

Outback Bright.jpg

18 hours ago, MstroBill said:

If the stage is high enough place the SP2 upside down on top of the sp1 to better couple the horns. Have the horn drivers inside as close to the same plane up and down as possible. ( Forward to Back )