When Travel Schedules fall apart...

• Members

Working on an "A" circuit comedy show with 4 people on stage at the same time, audio effects, video effects, podcasting, live links up and down, in a couple of days. It's fairly technically complex (10-12 inputs give or take plus a few sends) and I find out that their tour routing is such that they will arrive after doors open (doors open 1 hour before curtain in this venue) assuming that their flight is on time

Have done this act several times before but every show is different. Should be interesting. This is where preparation on my side and having 100% confidence that everything (including video and lighting) works first time without a sound check is essential as it's almost certain that we will barely have time for a line check. This is where I like to have tried and true hardware and no esoteric solutions to get in the way of getting 'er done.

• Members

Sitting in a Bozeman MT restaurant at the moment -- -16 F right now. Skied Big Sky today -- it only got up to -10F but sun was out so prob. One of the LordAlgee's left an outside stage set up overnight at Big Sky last year and I had pics of the drifts across the stage in the lee of the monitors. Kind of weird looking. I asked him about it that night (at his indoor stage) and he just laughed and said those were not his good monitors and as long as he blew the off before allowing them to melt all went well. Hey, someone's got to live up here!

• Members

dbMontana wrote:

Sitting in a Bozeman MT restaurant at the moment -- -16 F right now. Skied Big Sky today -- it only got up to -10F but sun was out so prob. One of the LordAlgee's left an outside stage set up overnight at Big Sky last year and I had pics of the drifts across the stage in the lee of the monitors. Kind of weird looking. I asked him about it that night (at his indoor stage) and he just laughed and said those were not his good monitors and as long as he blew the off before allowing them to melt all went well. Hey, someone's got to live up here!

I just finished loading into Mixers in Bozeman. The BL couldn't get his old U haul box truck to start so he left all the big PA gear at home and just brought  2 yamaha Stagepas 500. We are going to be severely under PAed for the gig. Probably be dead though because of the cold. MY main band will be playing their next Saturday and will have 4 QSC subs and 4 PRX 535s.

• Members

They arrived 30 min before show time, got everything patched and routed line checked, video checked, record feeds routed and checked, in time for curtain. Thank freekin' God for an industry standard large frame analog console. Echoed by their foh engineer, another old road dog like some of us here. Rock 'n Freekin' Roll baby!

• Members

Show went great, hit another technical home run. This is another example of why touring guys try so hard to qualify the sound and lighting crews by either spec'ing equipment that non-pros are unlikely to invest in, advancing the date in detail, and relying on past working experiences. In this case all 3 items are non-issues. It's 29 deg and freezing my butt off

Archived