Theatre group wants powered speakers

• Members

A local theatre group asked me to suggest some replacement speakers for their venue. They want to replace their aging (and junk) Carvin 2x15" cabinets. The venue is approx. 60' wide x 120' deep x 30' ceiling hardwood floors, concrete walls and ceiling with limited treatment. They have the ability to fly the cabs at about 12' off the ground, fly points are located about 3' in from each side wall. The budget is $3000 for the pair.

Their productions are the usual theatre thing, canned music (occasionally live) and headset actors running around. Volumes are usually modest,their seating arrangement has the closest rows about 25' from the stage, they might benefit from a lip fill also. I believe the seating capacity is around 250-300.

Suggested cabs?

• Members

This is the type of venue that I would look at one of the longer column based line arrays. I have used this and in music mode is an ideal mustical theatre solution. The long array is essential to good horizontal broadband pattern control. They come with wall brackets which put it right up to a boundery adding ~3dB to the real world sensitivity. Add a little DSP and a couple of compact subs (Eons or better the PRX-715 and it's very user friendly. 

Great for a light duty band (pit band), acoustic acts, light rock, jazz, and especially headsets and lavs running around. 

http://www.jblpro.com/catalog/general/Product.aspx?PId=447&MId=2

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

This is the type of venue that I would look at one of the longer column based line arrays. I have used this and in music mode is an ideal mustical theatre solution. The long array is essential to good horizontal broadband pattern control. They come with wall brackets which put it right up to a boundery adding ~3dB to the real world sensitivity. Add a little DSP and a couple of compact subs (Eons or better the PRX-715 and it's very user friendly. 

Great for a light duty band (pit band), acoustic acts, light rock, jazz, and especially headsets and lavs running around. 

Andy I looked it up and that indeed looks promising. I assume it's a passive system, I didn't see anywhere that it stated otherwise. What would be an appropriate level of amp?

Archived