Aux compressors enough protection for IEMs?

• Members

Are digital mixer Aux send compressors enough to protect your hearing when using wired IEMs? I've got a Mackie DL1608 and with some IEMs could probably be happier playing with my band. (Stage volume is about 110. I really like it down at least 10 db) My cheap streak is kicking in and while another wireless device doesn't bother me, money is a bit tight right now and wired looks a bit better. (Because I'm usually sitting at the keyboards.)

• Members

Interesting. Are you concerned about transients that just slip past the compressor? 

How much headroom do you have on the IEMs?  Can you not attenuate their inputs so the mixers aux outputs are driving pretty hard? And then slap the steep/quick attack compressor at the very top of available headroom? Would a rare clip (on the mixers output assuming it gets past the compressor) potentially damage you ears or the IEMs at that point? 

• CMS Author

agedhorse wrote:

If the limiter on the body pack is not adjustable by the user, it may be the safest solution.

That's always been my working assumption, but Don has good points about the uncontrolled variable of different earphone sensitivities. I'd still be inclined to go this route. My P2R-based system was used with several different earphones, including the E2C's it originally came with, my E4C's (still chugging along) and some visiting iPod and Sennheiser stuff, though I wasn't the wearer and can't directly comment. All had different impedance and output sensitivity, but nobody ever had a problem worth noting. My hearing's still well above average for a 52-year old guy into music....

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

What do the venues think of the stage bleed?110db does seem awfully loud.

Not the venue, but they are frequently not much different. (Q's Pub being a serious exception. Loved playing there with their engineer and system.)

Archived