Yorkville VGM14 vs. Allen & Heath ZED 16FX vs. Soundcraft MFXi12 vs. ?

• Members

This was inevitable, I suppose, but since switching to powered speakers, I 've become tired of hauling around my 16 channel powered mixer. (An EV PSX-1600) So, I've sold it. It was 45 pounds or so, and I simply couldn't justify hauling it around any longer.

Now, I'm looking for a replacement mixer that will have 10-16 channels. (each manufacturer seems to count these differently. By channels, I mean the ability to plug in an instrument mic, w/full EQ/effects options.)

I also need good basic digital effects(reverb/delay) for vocals and horns

I'd prefer to keep things lightweight too. I'd like to keep cost down if possible, but I'm open to spending more if there's a significant improvement in sound quality/features that I'd use.

When I first started this process, prior to buying the speakers, a number of folks here recommended the MixWiz. I'm not looking at that one now, because it's much heavier than these others, and people didn't sound enthused about the digital effects. But maybe that's a mistake. It looks like I can pick up a 3rd generation one for about the same price range as the mixers I listed here.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on these models, please, especially on the Yorkville. I had a powered Yorkville mixer years ago which was quite good, but I haven't seen their gear around that much lately.

If there's anything similar, that you think I should look at, please suggest that here too.

Finally, I know that there are some good digital options, and maybe I should go that route (I can pick up a used Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 for about $1000), but I'm feeling a bit hesitant about a digital mixer, in case of issues arising. Are these reliable/worthwhile? So, I guess, if you think digital is the way to go, over these smaller analog boards, please share your ideas on that too.

You guys have been very helpful with advice here -- it really came in handy when I bought the RCF's based on recommendations here -- and I is very much appreciated.

Thank you!

• Members

If you don't already own a snake (unless mixing from the stage), 6 channels of 31 band GEQ and at least 4 channels of comp/gates the most inexpensive way to go is digital. The Mackie DL1608 is still a bit buggy but wins big on portability and ease of use IMO. OTOH if I was buying today I'd get a Behringer X32 Rack - but many would find the extra features overwelming vs the DL1608. Oh, and wait a few days to see what NAMM brings ;) .

• Members

I use the Soundcraft MFXi8 for smaller gigs, and the little Zed10FX for really small gigs. I'd go for either brand over Yorkville, just based on general reputation. Soundcraft and A&H know how to build solid mixers at a decent price point. 

The main differences between the MFXi and Zed series are physical footprint and number of AUX busses. The Zed has more AUX capability and longer fader travel. That's good if you need more monitor mixes, but it makes it a little larger and heavier to haul around. The MFXi has shorter fader travel and fewer AUX's, so it's a little smaller. If you want the smallest and lightest mixer, go for the MFXi series.

I don't hear a major difference in the effect quality; they both have usable delay and reverb. Either mixer is more compact and lightweight than the MixWiz, which is a beast by comparison (but a very good mixer!).

• Members

I have used the Zed and the Soundcraft board, both without incident.  My personal small-gig go-anywhere do-anything mini-mizer is the Zed 10FX.  My little Zed has paid for itself many times over at this point and has proven to be a reliable and good sounding unit.

• Members

Given the Presonus Studiolive mixers are the easiest for someone transitioning from analogue, $1000 for the 16.4.2 seems a good price for the equivalent of 16 channels of analogue plus a rack of outboard.

I can understand your hesitation, but given the excellent iPad app available for it I think it would make an excellent choice for a band mixing from stage. Even if you don't use all the features right away, you now would have something that will see you well into the future, and once you own it you'll be able to learn to use it's advanced features at your own pace. For example the ease of hooking it up to a computer running Capture (or whatever other DAW you use) for recording - either for simple soundcheck use or capturing a live set to mixdown - gives you lots of expansion potential in the future.

Archived