The Stooges canned me and life is good

• Members

They beat me to the punch, but that's OK. It is inconsiderate and the first time I've been canned without a courtesy notice. But it's all OK. Today has been all good. The household income has just made serious return to good and the unemployment insurance will stop for good reason. (The best reason. Employment.) Now I can concentrate on the low volume band which should start taking their gigs before the end of the year. (OK, probably not take their gigs, but I'm pretty sure we can give them a run for their money. On the other hand, I'll wake up without my ears ringing or any feedback during the gig. Life is so good.) Just waiting for them to decide what the website I built is worth. I don't want to maintain it and I just renewed it for the next year.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

abzurd wrote:

You own the domain? If so then you decide what it's worth.....otherwise bye bye website.

I've only got about $100 in it. I'm a better person than they are. (Where is the 2 weeks notice? That's normal when there isn't a reason to fire anyone.) I'll pull my bio from the website tonight and if they have the bio for the new guy who sat in for me about a year ago when I was in the hospital, I'll add it. I've been using iweb to build and maintain the site. Really like the WYSIWYG interface. Anyway, I don't want to maintain it and will kill it if there isn't enough funds in their offer. (Really don't want much and I did benefit from it too.) Wonder if they're reading any of these forums. If so, it means that someone has recognized that they don't know enough and that would be an improvement. Maybe someone in the band actually cares about sound. (Though I'll bet they have never spent as much time designing a sound environment for a gig than I have. I love a challenge.) What am I going to do with all that extra time?

• Members

Wynn sorry to hear that buddy, going to miss your posts on your multiple-pa-band stories. Destiny sometimes has a funny way of working itself out sometimes. 

So I have to ask was it a phone call? email? in person? Or was it one of those deals where they just stop returning phone calls and won't tell ya the truth straight out leaving you in limbo? 

I think webmasters charge like $100 an hour, I think you should to. :) heh

• CMS Author

Good to hear you're okay, Wynn. It was painful to read the situation you were in.

Employment always helps. What field?

Give yourself some time to self-assess what happened and to be honest about it all. There are lessons good and bad in every form of breakup.

Best of luck with your new future!

• Members

nchangin wrote:

Wynn sorry to hear that buddy, going to miss your posts on your multiple-pa-band stories. Destiny sometimes has a funny way of working itself out sometimes. 

So I have to ask was it a phone call? email? in person? Or was it one of those deals where they just stop returning phone calls and won't tell ya the truth straight out leaving you in limbo? 

I think webmasters charge like $100 an hour, I think you should to.
:)
heh

At least one of my former bandmates still has some cajones left. The drummer met me in one of the clubs near my house, we talked and he returned my Hammond X5 that was at his rehearsal hall. During the last year, the trombone player said he was going to leave, the singer threatened to leave and the bassist quit. (And came back.) So, I'm wondering what is the glue that's holding this band together. Not my problem. The volume alone was enough for me to leave. (Band number 4 on that reason alone over 40+ years.) So maybe I've been lucky, but there haven't been very many low volume bands. My new project is just the second one. There have been more good low volume drummers that I've had the pleasure to work with. One former bandmate is writing and playing Christian Country down in Texas. My first guitarist is in Branson Mo. (First bassist is deceased. Bummer.) My last West Virginian guitarist went off the conservative deep end and works for the NSA. (And I thought he gave me "America's Finest Hour" narrated by Ronald Reagan as a gag gift. Anyone want it? Don't think I ever put it on a turn table.) Still all good and no further problems with my senior's variety show this May. (Love those folks. Been doing it for 7 years.)

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

Link?

Link for what? The senior's show? That doesn't even get in the paper. It's a senior's community and held at the auditorium in the clubhouse. They put up a few signs near the entrances and they are either sell outs or near sell outs. (Six shows over two weeks this year.) There's always at least one matinee' and the evening shows end about 9 PM. (They all head for bed pretty early.) One former singer/dancer.... who moved to Az went on to head a production of Guys and Dolls. (He was very good, but I think he's driving his Wife crazy.) I think they enjoy writing the shows, creating the puns..... Some of these people spend much of their year in preparation. There was a man who sang in the first show I was involved in. Gave me chills every time. Beautiful voice and a serious understanding of musical theater. Unfortunately, he hasn't chosen to be involved in any of the other shows. Our loss.

• Members

I have to say usually fired is a quick "no notice" thing. In the corporate world you might get some notice and severance, especially if it's a downsize situation. If it's a replacement scenario however your gone one day and the new guy walks in the next. It kind of has to go that way for the assured viability of the group. No, it's not polite, but it us what it is.

If you were a contractor you could have put something in writing requiring they give you x days notice or buy out a percentage of the remaining gigs under contract.

• Members

We've only had one rehearsal this january with me there. They've been working Greg in for a while now. The band normally had a rehearsal every week. It was clearly ending, but the way they did it, extended the duration. I don't wish them any harm. They are a good group, but loud and that isn't my cup of tea. That was the primary reason I brought my 760 Leslie to a recent gig. Was looking to see how loud it had gotten. If the organ is marginal, it's too loud for me.

• Members

WynnD wrote:

It is inconsiderate and the first time I've been canned without a courtesy notice.

Perhaps they opted to forego any "courtesy notice" after discovering the littany of posts you've publicly bashed your former bands in on this forum.  In my neck of the woods, even "stooges" are capable of reading - and simply as a matter of principle, rarely do they take a shine to being castigated by a bandmate in public forums.

If your "in person" dealings with your former bandmates conveyed any of the tone and disrespect your behind their back posts have - you should probably consider yourself lucky they didn't give you a good ass kicking as a going away present!

• Members

Be sure to leave every door open. As I'm sure you know. Bands form. Play sometimes for years. Fall apart. Members from the 1 to 4 that bands that broke up around your area get together and form a new band. Some of your past band members you may well be playing with again someday!

Doug

• Members

SpaceNorman wrote:

WynnD wrote:

It is inconsiderate and the first time I've been canned without a courtesy notice.

Perhaps they opted to forego any "courtesy notice" after discovering the littany of posts you've publicly bashed your former bands in on this forum.  In my neck of the woods, even "stooges" are capable of reading - and simply as a matter of principle, rarely do they take a shine to being castigated by a bandmate in public forums.

If your "in person" dealings with your former bandmates conveyed any of the tone and disrespect your behind their back posts have - you should probably consider yourself lucky they didn't give you a good ass kicking as a going away present!

If they started reading these posts, that would probably be a sign that they realized they don't know enough about sound and for me, a sign that someone in the group actually cares about the sound. (Though on a loud level.) On the other hand, I've never identified the band or it's members by name. (Except for common first names.) They probably wouldn't have any trouble figuring out which poster was me. I'm not concerned. They are a good band. (But loud in my opinion.) The Bose L1 speakers are better than I expected, but they could be used better and if they would just back off a little, the feedback would quit. (Not expecting that. Know any good sound engineers who would accept a little feedback as the price of being "loud enough"?) Last gig I played with them, the PA sounded a bit like there was some inharmonic distortion. It might have just been my hearing at that volume. (Personally doubt it. I can't prove it one way or another without a good recording from the audience.) Anyway, I'm ready to start booking the low volume group. Not even going to advertise that aspect of the group. It's a totally different type of group with only 1 or 2 songs covered in both groups. (Not my personal choice.) We will be covering some of the same artists, but with different songs. (And different approaches.) And having a female singer who's good isn't going to hurt either. Very different bands and not just because of volume. Everyone in the new group is on board for pretty low volume. The bassist brought the smallest bass amp I've ever seen used in a band to the audition. (Think it had an 8" speaker.) It was the right amount of good. (So was he.) So looking forward to our first gig and many more.

• Members

Again, congrats on getting out of a situation you weren't happy in. One way or the other your involvement was going to end. You had your letter at the ready.

Definitely don't make plans of leaving here, you're a part of the fabric here along with the rest of us. Let us know how the new band is working out, it sounds like everyone has the same goal in mind!

Enjoy the weight that's been lifted. Like others have said, music should be fun!

• CMS Author

Hmmm, notice. I'd say you had several weeks notice. You knew it, they knew it, we knew it. If they had been acting all nicey-nice lovey-dovey and then blindsided you, I'd say you would be right to be a bit indignant. But you had time to prepare yourself for this. But most of all....it's over! Time for the next band, new friends, new shows, new problems to solve.

• Members

Craig Vecchione wrote:

Hmmm, notice. I'd say you had several weeks notice. You knew it, they knew it, we knew it. If they had been acting all nicey-nice lovey-dovey and then blindsided you, I'd say you would be right to be a bit indignant. But you had time to prepare yourself for this. But most of all....it's over! Time for the next band, new friends, new shows, new problems to solve.

And take it to the next level, if you know you're right.  The corollary to this is pretty ugly.

• Members

That. Was funny. Only ever had one owner tell a band I was playing in to turn up. Had more than a few tell us to turn down. Had at least one not say anything until we were done and then just said we were loud. Never got to play there again.

Archived