EE's - circuit mod question

• Members

I have a TOA M-243 line mixer that I want to use for an event with continuous background music and sporadic announcements.   The mixer has a mic input for the announcer and line level inputs for background music.  It has a priority paging circuit  that will attenuate the other inputs if the mic channel input level detects a strong enough signal.  When this function is engaged it is basically a ducker and it works pretty well in regards to sensitivity to the mic input, attack speed,  and the amount of attenuation to the background music.  

This, of course, is one of the uses for a ducker: I don't have to baby-sit the mixer to manually reduce the bgm when an announcer comes on.  Unfortunately the  "release" time for the ducker is too fast for my application.  The bgm ramps back up to full volume very quickly if someone stops speaking into the mic.  It is so fast that the bgm can start back up in the middle of sentences if the speaker pauses slightly.

I suspect the release speed is controlled by something simple like the value of a capacitor.  I have detailed circuit diagrams and parts lists and the physical circuit boards are mostly discreet components and seem easy to navigate.  I am generally comfortable making the mods with a soldering iron.  However it is still well beyond me to know what component to change.  

If you have the circuit analysis chops to identify the mod that needs to be made and are willing to offer some assistance, please PM me and I can give you the details.  Not expecting your expertise for free but also did not want to spend a lot on this mod.

• Members

You probably just need to identify the timing circuit and g increase the value of the cap that sets the timimg.  Probably easier to grab some alligator clips and clip on another cap.  Caps are just backwards from resistors and simply add when paralleled.  Try some different values until you get the result you want.  I'd start by adding the same value that is currently there essentially making it 2x.  Just be careful if the cap is electrolytic to observe correct polarities.

• Members

On compressor and gate circuits, there are separate timing sections for attack and release, as well as timing for hold functions. Often they are interactive and require some careful analysis to determine what is really going on. Even somebody like me would need to look carefully at it because often what appears to happen on the surface is not the entire picture.

Archived