Digital Piano

GbV76

• Members

I'm getting a little bored with my guitar, and would like to purchase a piano. Right now I don't have the space for a "real" piano and anticipate moving a few times in the relatively near future so I'd like to get a digital one. I have a Radium keyboard for all of my soft synth urges, so i'm not too concerned with synth funtionality or anything. Basically I want a very realistic sounding and feeling "piano". I notice the local music store has a bunch of different Yamaha (Clavinova?) models. I'm going to drag some piano playing friends down there to give me their opinions, but I was wondering if I could get some insight as to what makes/models I should check out. Is Yamaha the company to go with? Cost isn't too much of a concern. Thanks for your help! :)

• Members

I would recommend the Yamaha P120 or P250 if you need speakers. Or the Yamaha P90 if you don't - all of these are easy to come by.

P120 - 1099 or less

p250 - 1899 or less

P90 - 999 or less

I also like the Kawai ES3 even a little more but they are not easy to find. Around 1300-1500 local - probably less online somewhere.

• Members

As near as I can tell (and no I haven't tried them all) the P-250 is a better board than the majority of the CLP line of Clavinovas and is certainly a far better value. You pay a lot of premium for two things on the Clavinova: 1) all that wood (or ''wood'') cabineting and 2) more powerful speakers, which are the CLP's one advantage. You can, however, buy better speakers for considerably less than the difference in price. If you can afford one of the CVP series, things are rather a different story.

Just my $.02. :)

Kiru

• Members

First off, thanks for your replies :) I dragged a friend down to the "overpriced" music store, where they had a P120, but no P250. I'm sure I'll be able to find a P250 at the good music store. The P120 was pretty sweet, very.....streamlined. Now, they also had a bunch of Clavinovas. I'm curious as to what benefits (if any) a, say, CVP204 would have over one of the P series. I mean, the little screen is cool lookin, and I read about all of the numerous features...... I tend to have a bit of a gadget fetish, so I guess I'm looking for some input as to whether a) I'm an idiot and shouldn't waste my money or; b) I'd be a fool to miss out on all of the great features that the CVP has to offer. Has anyone used one of these? Or bought one? Any (more) help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

• Members

The P-250 must be great (but I never used this piano)

I have a P-200, and this is really a great piano. The only thing I don't like on the P-200 is that the pedal has only two states (active or not), therefore you can't do half-pedal like on acoustic pianos. I think you can do this on the P-120 and the P-250 (they are far more recent devices)

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Up until a month ago, I would said that the P250 is the best digital piano to date. However, last month, a friend played a Kawai ES3 at a reception. Man, was that ever amazing. I honestly think his playing would not have been expressed quite as beautifully on any other board.

My piano instructor has created fascinating pieces on a CVP700. He often has me listen to his recordings to show me what one can do on a machine like that. If you want to create arrangements that sound like a symphony or orchestra is playing, then consider strongly the CVP. The key action is the same as the P Series. You actually would have all of the most common features of the P Series and a whole lot more. If money is not an option, and you do not need to tote a board around, then the CVP would allow you to create music in vifrtually unlimited ways. You would be galaxies away from boredom.

:)

Archived